Six on Saturday | Hello September!

Last year my first September post featured the Japanese anemones, cyclamen and my flowering Amarine. Nothing to see from the Amarine pot this year, but I’m not losing hope just yet! Having had to stop any further work in the garden due to injuring my back last week (plus the garden waste bin is full) I took my camera out for a walk yesterday in the lovely sunshine.

My two Sunpatiens are flowering well in the front shady courtyard and seem to survive the S&S which as you can see, attack my poor little Hosta ‘Blue Mouse Ears’ which are supposed to be less enticing to the molluscs. Last week I showed you the white one, today the pink though it is difficult to capture the exact colour on the camera.
Continuing with the pink theme, here is Hydrangea ‘Vanille Fraise’ just beginning to turn that lovely raspberry pink colour. I have only got four flowers on this plant this year.
My only surviving Chocolate Cosmos is often hidden by the Daylilies, but now that they have been cut back a bit, this flower can shine.
Japanese anemone ‘Wild Swan’ is a very pretty pure white with bright yellow centres and a bluish back. It is quite a compact variety and I’m going to remove it and try planting some in the woodland walled border.
This is Fuchsia ‘Alice Hoffman’ with an abundance of pendent, rich pink and white flowers throughout the summer. She is a compact shrub, but hardy and enjoys full sun or partial shade.
I have had this clematis ‘Polish Spirit’ for a few years, but it has never flowered. I didn’t think it was going to this year either, but then I noticed these blooms in the clematis hedge along the woodland border. The hedge consists of C. Montana, the wild clematis, ivy, honeysuckle and brambles! So easily lost! It is supposed to be a vigorous plant so I am hoping now it is established it does well next year.

I had a lovely couple of days with my daughter in Surrey last weekend and for a change helped her with her garden which is very heavy clay. I took quite a few cuttings down in the hope that some might survive, but she has an even bigger slug problem than I do! They have even destroyed roses and hydrangeas! If anyone has any plants they can suggest for such a garden then please let me know in the comments.

And as a bonus a flower from my daughter’s garden – a shrub she didn’t know the name of – but full of bees. I’m now wondering if I should have taken some cuttings…

See here for the participant’s guide.

1. pommepal says:

G’day Jude, I’m so pleased I now have more time to wander around the WP posts. What a delightful collection of flowers. I do miss my flowers (just a tiny bit!!!) but definately not the work involved. I hope your back quickly recovers. My back problem last year was the start of the decline in being able to work in the garden and part of the desision to move to an apartment.

Back problems definitely don’t help! My own fault as usual, just stretched that little bit too far whilst weeding. I still have the bamboo to dig out, but what with the heat and now the back it’s having to wait. I just keep hoping it doesn’t begin to grow again, though I did spy a couple of shoots in a place I had hoped it hadn’t reached 😠 I might have to bite the bullet and get a garden company in to help renovate that whole area and start again.

1. pommepal says:

Sounds like a major job coming up. Good luck with finding a good, and affordable, garden company. Take it easy with that back

Not sure about the affordable, but it might be worth it to save me the pain! We don’t spend much on birthday or Christmas presents.

2. pommepal says:

I’d say well worth it

Yay for Polish Spirit! The hydrangea looks a bit bedraggled but I do love the anemones and cosmos.

The hydrangea is in its prime I’ll have you know! I was surprised to see the pink as only a few days ago it was still pure white. And yes, let’s hope ‘Polish Spirit’ has finally decided it likes where it is planted. I was contemplating digging it up and trying elsewhere.

3. margaret21 says:

Beautiful photos as ever Jude. Hope your back continues to improve.

Thanks Margaret. It wasn’t too bad yesterday, but then I start ‘doing things’ and that’s not a good idea! At least the rain will keep me indoors today, though those kitchen cupboards are beckoning…

1. margaret21 says:

Kitchen cupboards? You must be desperate!

No. Just feeling guilty at how long it has been since I cleaned them.

4. fredgardener says:

As I was replying toGraeme this morning, my hydrangea Vanille Fraise is only vanilla in colour. The Fraise touch hasn’t shown its face at all so far…
    I had a Caryopteris in the past but it’s dead. It gave a superb blue bloom at the end of summer. I think it was too sheltered and didn’t have enough water. The photo of your daughter’s is superb!

Mine was very slow to get going this year again (but I do prune it very hard as otherwise it is too floppy) and I only have four flowers on it. This one was pure white a few days ago so I got a surprise when I was going around the garden. The Caryopteris flower is a very lovely colour – I think hers is a variegated one.

1. fredgardener says:

I had pruned mine very hard too to prevent floppy stems, you’re right. I have at least 20 flower stems but all the flowers are white and they are now turning brown: we had a very hot summer as you know

Mine went brown last year. I must admit I’m not that impressed with this variety. Limelight seems nicer.

It is very autumnal here already. Leaves and acorns tumbling down, and cooler mornings. We are going on holiday to Lincolnshire on Monday, and no doubt when I get back everything will be covered in leaves from the Oak trees.

My daughter has a similar problem with an oak tree, it’s in a neighbouring garden so she can’t get it reduced. Her lawn and shed are covered!

It is thanks Anabel, and would be even better if I stopped doing things that make it twinge!

6. Rosie Amber says:

Lovely photos, I hope that your back gets better.

Thanks Rosie. The back problem was not helped by my driving 10 hours over the weekend, but it’s improving now. And with rain forecast for the coming week at least I’ll not be doing much in the garden.

7. I commiserate with you and your back, Jude. As we grow older, (no, as we MATURE) muscle injuries take a bit longer to heal, so do be careful. Could that blue cluster in your final shot be cleome? I used to grow these in my garden, but they rarely returned the following year. But blue irises pop up every spring, usually around May.

8. Cathy says:

Sorry to hear about your back, Jude 🙄 Your Hydrangea ‘Vanille Fraise’ looks lovely even if it only has 4 flowers. Where does your daughter live? My elder daughter lives in Camberley

She lives in a village in Esher so I have to do the dreaded M25 for a couple of junctions. Unless I skip across via Guildford onto the A3 which I did on my return.

1. Cathy says:

When I go on my own I go by train, but otherwise we cut off the M40 near Oxford and head towards Basingstoke to avoid the one section of the M25 we would have to do

9. Sorry about your back, Jude. But I enjoyed your camera ramblings. When we lived in Ohio and had slugs, we put cheap beer in shallow dishes, then put the dishes down a bit in the soil. The slugs would get into the beer and drown.

Yes I have tried the slug traps and they do seem to help though I just used yeast and water as it is the yeast smell that attracts them. Pretty grim emptying the pots though…

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: