Murmuration

In the winter Starlings appear in large numbers from the near continent to seek the warmth on our island,  murmurations can start an hour or so before sunset when  huge groups of starlings twist, turn, swoop and swirl across the sky in beautiful shape-shifting clouds. They roost overnight in the nearby reed marshes next to the coast at Marazion, but they come to feed in their thousands in the fields around my home.

(Please click on image to enlarge)

These are a few of the images I managed to capture on 16th December over the farmyard next door. They are still here in their thousands and the other day when out in the garden, I heard a loud noise above me, only to find myself in the centre of a murmuration. Of course when they are this close you don’t see the spectacular murmurations that you might see as they come in to roost, but I am still in awe of the flight of these birds as they fly together and change direction as one.

It’s a wierd thing, isn’t it? I seldom see this volume of birds but I’m also captivated at seeing them fly in formation. Sometimes at t’ai chi I am distracted by them circling and diving overhead.

2. margaret21 says:

Oh gosh, have the murmurations started? They’re fabulous round here, but I’ve not spotted one yet. Best thing about winter!

3. bushboy says:

A fabulous sight to see Jude 🙂

4. Chloris says:

A wonderful word for it. Starlings used to be a common sight round here, but I haven’t seen one for years.

There seem to be a lot more here this year.

5. Brilliant. We get them infrequently in the fields opposite our house. Always a treat!

Except for the car!

6. Sandra says:

In the six years we’ve lived here in the SE of Cornwall, there hasn’t been a single starling. So this is an ideal reason to come down to Marazion.. I love murmurations.

7. It’s a fabulous sight when you see the winding, rolling waves of these birds. I think there’s even some history of reported UFO sightings being attributed to starling murmurations. When you watch one, you can believe it.

8. spanishwoods says:

Excellent shots! Beautiful.

9. artfulcrone says:

I would love to see this in person some day. Fascinating!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: