Tree Study #2

We all love to see trees in the environment. They are our life preservers. Our climate change warriors. Big, small, urban, rural: woodlands are an oasis, a sanctuary, an escape from city life. But how many of us simply admire them from afar without really examining them close up? Studying the different colours, the texture of the bark, the life within.

Over the past month or so I have been closely examining trees around me. Here are some of the results from February 2023.

1. I love looking at trees. I have a favourite just a couple of miles down the road.

They each have their own characteristics don’t they.

2. I do love a tree trunk covered with moss.

Moss in the northern hemisphere tends to grow on the north side as it is the shadiest and dampest. It helps with directions. Opposite in your hemisphere.

3. This is so beautiful 😍

4. Lots of good knobbles and gnarls there.

Fabulous aren’t they?

5. Gorgeous, tree bark is fascinating and also a very useful tool for identification! Know the book Meetings with Remarkable Trees? Your photos remind me of it.

I don’t, but I’ll look it up. Thanks.

1. Wonderful photos, he did a book on world trees too (both were presents I got at Christmas)

6. Stunning pictures. Magnificent study ❤

7. StonerGypsy says:

Excellent wood!! These are gorgeous photos! 💚💚

8. Ann Mackay says:

Lovely details – the pictures make me want to stretch out and stroke the bark on some of those… 🙂

Yes they are very tactile. I usually do stroke the smooth trunks of the eucalyptus trees and there is a magnolia here (middle next to bottom) that I just had to stroke, it was so smooth and polished.

1. Ann Mackay says:

Reminds me of a Tibetan cherry in Edinburgh’s RBG that I used to love to stroke – it was like a smooth ribbon wound round the tree.

They are very lovely trees.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: