My Twelve Days of Christmas #11

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to meEleven pipers pipingTen lords a-leapingNine ladies dancingEight maids a-milkingSeven swans a-swimmingSix geese a-layingFive gold rings (five golden rings)Four calling birdsThree French hensTwo turtledovesAnd a partridge in a pear tree

The Twelve Days of Christmas start on Christmas Day and last until the evening of the 5th January – also known as Twelfth Night. The Twelve Days have been celebrated in Europe since before the middle ages and were a time of celebration. I may not have a partridge or a pear tree, but I have selected 12 photos from December / January to get me through this period.

Mahonia ‘Sweet Charity’

1. That’s pretty and would brighten up any winter garden.

2. I’ve been enjoying this series, Jude.

3. Ann Mackay says:

Mahonia is such a fabulous colour for this grey and chilly time of year.

Yes, indeed, any splash of colour is welcome. Maybe I need to consider buying a plant.

1. Ann Mackay says:

Reminds me that the former owner of this house looked into the garden from the neighbour’s. He was aghast to see that we’d taken out almost all of his beloved laurel but left the big mahonia, hehe!

Laurel doesn’t do much for me either.

4. Cathy says:

Still can’t bring myself to like them, Jude, although I have wondered about Soft Caress, but it still doen’t jump out and say ‘buy me’ though! You have come up with some great ideas for this series 👍

I used to have one in my garden in Doncaster and it was quite lovely. Soft Caress is much less prickly though. I guess at this time of the year it does provide some welcome colour and this one in Trelissick Gardens is quite magnificent.

1. Cathy says:

I think Soft Caress is meant to flower a bit earlier too, isn’t it? They are both still yellow though…