In My Neighbourhood

In my neighbourhood is a tag I have used for posting about things and places around me. Usually the lanes and the hill. Anything within walking distance. Which includes a pair of granite and whitewashed Cornish cottages. Nothing unusual about that you may say, not in Cornwall, where they are two a penny, but what catches my eye about these cottages are the enormous fuchsia hedges. Usually I am driving past on my way in and out of the lane to join  the main road and at this time of the year I always notice the amazing fuchsia hedges and the hydrangeas.

This hedge is at least 4m high and simply dripping with the jewel-like flowers

On Saturday I took a walk down to take some photographs, Megan of Harebells and Maples was interested in seeing what a large fuchsia hedge looks like. It’s not an easy site to photograph as it is mostly in shadow, but hopefully you’ll get some idea of how beautiful it looks.

Please click on images to enlarge

And I always think hydrangeas look so good in September when the colours fade and begin to change colour to autumnal shades of red, brown or green.

And across the lane by a small stream someone has scattered some wildflower seeds.

Perfect for the pollinators

1. artfulcrone says:

Your part of the world is so lovely!

It is when the sun shines! Can be a bit bleak at times.

They are impressive hedges indeed, Jude. More colourful than our bland Beech hedges at the front of the bungalow.

Oh, I think the beech hedges look lovely in the autumn and winter when they keep the copper leaves.

3. susurrus says:

Our hedges are not as pretty as yours, but we do have a few of the huge semi-wild fuchsias. I love hydrangeas at this time of year too.

Oddly I prefer hydrangeas as they begin to go over.

4. Lynn says:

So beautiful Jude. On my trip to Belgium & Holland earlier this summer, the hydrangeas were absolutely spectacular every where we rode. Must be a good year for them!

I think it is always a good year for them here because of the damp, though this year they must have struggled as it has been a lot drier than normal.

5. margaret21 says:

Lovely. The only place I have visited that has fuchsia hedges at every turn is Ireland. They put on such a splendid show.

Ah, yes, I remember them in Ireland too. Fabulous.

6. Dina says:

The fuchsia hedges look stunning. Some neighbours have slightly smaller fuchsia bushes, we can’t even keep a small fuchsia plant alive, sad to say. Love the colourful wildflower meadow.

Sad to say that my own fuchsias are quite small specimens except for the wilder one which is nowhere near as big as these! But then I do cut it back to the ground each year.

7. Any more foliage and you could almost get off a speeding ticket because of it! 40 sign? What 40 sign?

Haha… yes, that’s not the only one covered by the foliage. The sign to our turn off is well hidden too, which is why it is such a challenge to exit onto the main road (I say main, but it is a B road) since there are bends in both directions!

8. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Love the way the 40 Sign is disappearing into the hedge

I must admit I hadn’t seen that sign, it seems in an odd place for the main road and definitely doesn’t apply to our little track.

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

🙂

Jewel colours, Jude!

Yes, it is still pretty colourful around here.

10. Ann Mackay says:

Wow, that is a fantastic size for fuchsias – must be a delightful sight. The hydrangeas are lovely too, especially the pale petals with the crimson markings. They’re so pretty!

The fuchsias are even more impressive in real life, I can’t capture them properly with the camera. When I stop at the end of the lane to turn onto the road I can’t stop gawping at them, they are so heavily laden in flowers.

1. Ann Mackay says:

I would be transfixed by them! I love the way they keep flowering when everything else is giving up.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: