Six on Saturday | Herb Garden

I have a few thoughts about this area of my garden. For one thing the wooden raised beds are rotting, so they need replacing so…

• do I buy a greenhouse or potting shed and have a couple of smaller metal raised beds in front of it. There is enough space, but I do have the conservatory so is this a waste of money?
  • do I create a natural pond? In which case I shall need to get someone in to do that as all that digging is beyond me now. And I am a little worried that it might attract the rats from the farmyard next door.
  • redesign the raised beds and also plant a crab apple tree and incorporate a seat where I can enjoy the views.
Sage and Golden Marjoram

For now though here are six things in the herb bed on a Saturday.

By far the biggest herbs in the bed are the common sage and golden marjoram – which is a bit of a thug – sadly I lost my purple sage this year.
Common Sage – don’t you just love the texture?

Tulbaghia violacea, known as society garlic has suddenly burst into flower. It usually flowers much earlier, but has been quite poor until now. Obviously the recent rain has made a dramatic difference.

Named ‘Society garlic’ for the delicious garlic flavour it has but without the bad breath. Close up it is like a miniature agapanthus. Leaves, stems and flowers are totally edible. Add leaves to a variety of dishes for a peppery, garlic like flavour. The flowers are especially attractive as a garnish on pizza, meat, salads and soups etc.
I used to have loads of Borage, but pulled out a lot of seedlings. Maybe too many as this is the only one I have seen in the bed this year.
The lemon verbena has grown very tall this year. The flowers are quite insignificant, but rub the leaves between your fingers and the smell is divine – pure sherbet lemon.
Lemon Verbena flowers
Garlic Chives are just beginning to flower now – I rarely use them in the kitchen, but just love the flowers.
A bit of a cheat as this Rosemary is not actually in the herb bed, although I do have some there. This one grows around the huge flat rock in the Gravel Garden and is the one I use to pick for cooking as it is closest to the back entrance. It smells divine when you brush past it.

Whatever I decide to do I shall definitely keep a herb bed.

As always, if you want a peek over other people’s garden walls then please pop over to our host, the lovely Jon, AKA ‘The Propagator’ where you find links to many more wonderful garden enthusiasts from all over the world. See here for the participant’s guide.

1. margaret21 says:

No helpful thoughts from me. I’m just enjoying the pictures.

I think I have come to a decision. But there is the whole of winter for me to change my mind 😁

2. I’ve never heard of society garlic. What a great name!

Brilliant isn’t it? And pleasantly garlicky too.

3. Your herbs look very well indeed. I never have much luck with mine, either in pots or the ground, with the exception of the Oregano (or possibly Marjoram) that grows everywhere. Your garlic chives are a little ahead of mine – the flowers are very pretty indeed. I’ve always fancied a potting shed, especially on wet days, and I think adding a tiny pond was one of the best things I did – I can spend ages watching the wildlife in it.

I have the wild oregano that seems to pop up every where too, it does smell nice though. I am attracted to a potting shed to replace my current shed which is rotting away and where some rats appear to have taken up residence during the winter. Not an appealing place to enter. I’d love a pond, but I know rats have to have a water source as well as food, so I’m worried they may decide to move in!

4. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Beautiful herbs. I haven’t come across Society garlic before. And what a lovely flower

It really is a pretty herb. I got mine from Sarah Raven.

5. Lovely to see your herbs. I totally agree re sage – must get a new one as mine seems to have not survived the winter. Gorgeous pictures.

I cut mine right back in the spring (as suggested by Monty Don) including my purple and variegated ones, but they didn’t regenerate. If I redo the raised beds next year I shall definitely buy some more.

6. Goodness, decisions, decisions, decisions, I find it hard enough to decide what to do in my own garden, never mind thinking about anyone else’s. All your suggestions sound good. 😁 That Society Garlic is most interesting, I hadn’t seen or heard of it before.

I am trying to find unusual herbs for the herb bed, but some are difficult to get hold of. The Society Garlic seems happy though it didn’t do much for a year or two.

7. Taking time with the planning is always worth it, a lot of my mistakes were because of lack of planning. I need to do some this autumn too. I’ve been craving for some society garlic and Now you have given me an idea to put some in with the herbs. Mine are suffering from the drought, even with getting some water. Amelia

I’m not rushing it, my thoughts change from day to day! Most of the work will be done next spring when it will be easier to uproot plants before they start growing again.

8. Dina says:

Beautiful, beautiful herbs! I’d love to have a lemon verbena. Do you dry the leaves? They are perfect for tea. I’m often tempted to get a pond, but when I look at the pond across the fence, I tend to hesitate. It demands a lot of attention and more work so will skip it.

I never dry any of the herbs I’m sorry to say. I do use some fresh especially during the summer. I tried steeping some of the lemon verbena leaves yesterday and drank with a dash of honey, it was a bit like Lemsip without the paracetamol!

1. Dina says:

😂 a friend of mine dries her lemon verbena and kindly shared some with us which tasted so good 😊

9. Well, I do love crab apple trees so that would be my choice. I have society garlic in the garden and use the leaves often, but I’ve never thought of eating the flowers as well.

10. J. Wilder says:

Thank you for sharing. I have never heard of Society Garlic, but I love the reason behind the name and the explosive flowers. All of your ideas for the space sound fun; I’d look to incorporate a seat regardless so you can enjoy the space. The plants look beautiful.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: