Six on Saturday | What a Week That Was!

The death of a Queen, the accession of a new King and a new Prime Minister has made this the most extraordinary of weeks. And after weeks of dry weather and warm sunshine the arrival of gales and storms, heavy rain and blustery showers has made it a very difficult week to get outside and into the garden. However on Friday the sun shone more or less all day so I was able to take a few photos and also dig out more of that bamboo! Two huge clumps removed and one slightly smaller one left to do.  Because the soil has been thoroughly soaked it seemed easier to use a fork to get into the clumps. Easier, but by no means easy…

As most of the flowers in the garden have been viewed before, this week I am going to show you a few of the views I have of the garden along with a few favourite plants that are flowering now. Please click on the images to enlarge.

(1) View from the back of my garden towards the house (Not the big house you can see, that is my neighbour. Mine is a lot smaller) This shows the ‘Woodland border’ on the right and the ‘Gravel Garden’ on the left.
(2) ‘Gravel Garden’ from the patio.

(3) Part of my ‘Zen Patio’ area with the Japanese Anemones, behind which is a lovely yellow clematis, my flowering Abyssinian gladiolus are in the foreground.

(4) Another view from the patio, this time with the Fatsia Japonica in the foreground and the Kilmarnock Willow tree at the back. I have removed stems from the bottom of the Fatsia to open it up so that we can see through to the garden.

(5) On the patio table I have a collection of plants in pots, including these Aeonium Zwartkop which are cuttings from last year. I find the S&S can’t reach this spot so it is a good place to put delicate cuttings and gastropod prone plants!
(6) And at the bottom of the garden is my working area – doesn’t every garden have one? The two raised beds need overhauling as the wood is rotting and I am still deciding whether or not to have a potting shed or a greenhouse placed here with a couple of metal raised beds in front. I have to be careful not to block that view (header) and I still have that bamboo to remove, though the clumps you can see have been dug up. Herbs in pots and cuttings live here too.

Apologies for the rather blurred photos, the wind hasn’t stopped all week!

See here for the participant’s guide.

That’s so funny! Margaret’s post is full of wind 🤣🌬️💕 I was just about to comment on yours when the doorbell rang. Love your gravelled area. It’s all looking good, Jude 🤗💗

A quiet day today, thank goodness. Done a bit more weeding and cutting back, but loads more to do. I really need some help with the digging!

Don’t look at me. I’m a rubbish digger 🤣💟

2. Ditto all the usual comments from me. 😁. Sorry about the Queen but what a life she had!

Yes, she didn’t do too badly! Got to travel to every corner of the globe and meet some fascinating people, though perhaps some she wishes she hadn’t. It’s strange as she’s been there the whole of my life, like losing a grandmother.

3. What lovely green hills to look out on, they seem a lot greener than others in England but recent rain must have helped! Bamboo is such a pig to get out, it’s a proper workout, be careful not to break your fork, spade etc.

4. Murtagh's Meadow says:

You have certainly had a historic week in the UK. Your garden looks amazing though

5. Yes, what an astounding week in Britain this past week, from the heights of accomplishing all that duty required of her (i.e., a new prime minister) and a passing of the baton, as it were, to her son. I’m still reeling. And what an interesting assortment in your garden! Fall weather will be most welcome over here, across the Pond, as well.

6. pommepal says:

A delightful garden, thanks for taking us on a stroll. It all looks so lush and healthy. Good luck with getting rid of the bamboo, a very tenacious plant. The queen will be sadly missed over here and time will tell if King Charles can keep Australia in the fold.

Thanks PP. It never got as dry here as in other parts of the UK. As for the Queen, I reckon a lot of countries will ditch the monarchy now she’s gone, though I think Charles will streamline the royals. He is a good bloke and I wish him well.

1. pommepal says:

Yes interesting times ahead of us.

7. I love your garden…looks like such a wonderful place to sit.

A bit damp today, but I do have chairs on the patio if you ever find yourself down here 😊

8. I can see why you love your garden so much Jude. It’s beautiful.

9. Cathy says:

How lovely to see all these different views, some suggesting your garden is perhaps bigger than it first looked. And I am so pleased to read that you made such headway with the bamboo – thank goodness for the rain!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: