Six on Saturday | Hello September!

Last year my first September post featured the Japanese anemones, cyclamen and my flowering Amarine. Nothing to see from the Amarine pot this year, but I’m not losing hope just yet! Having had to stop any further work in the garden due to injuring my back last week (plus the garden waste bin is full) I took my camera out for a walk yesterday in the lovely sunshine.

My two Sunpatiens are flowering well in the front shady courtyard and seem to survive the S&S which as you can see, attack my poor little Hosta ‘Blue Mouse Ears’ which are supposed to be less enticing to the molluscs. Last week I showed you the white one, today the pink though it is difficult to capture the exact colour on the camera.
Continuing with the pink theme, here is Hydrangea ‘Vanille Fraise’ just beginning to turn that lovely raspberry pink colour. I have only got four flowers on this plant this year.
My only surviving Chocolate Cosmos is often hidden by the Daylilies, but now that they have been cut back a bit, this flower can shine.
Japanese anemone ‘Wild Swan’ is a very pretty pure white with bright yellow centres and a bluish back. It is quite a compact variety and I’m going to remove it and try planting some in the woodland walled border.
This is Fuchsia ‘Alice Hoffman’ with an abundance of pendent, rich pink and white flowers throughout the summer. She is a compact shrub, but hardy and enjoys full sun or partial shade.
I have had this clematis ‘Polish Spirit’ for a few years, but it has never flowered. I didn’t think it was going to this year either, but then I noticed these blooms in the clematis hedge along the woodland border. The hedge consists of C. Montana, the wild clematis, ivy, honeysuckle and brambles! So easily lost! It is supposed to be a vigorous plant so I am hoping now it is established it does well next year.

I had a lovely couple of days with my daughter in Surrey last weekend and for a change helped her with her garden which is very heavy clay. I took quite a few cuttings down in the hope that some might survive, but she has an even bigger slug problem than I do! They have even destroyed roses and hydrangeas! If anyone has any plants they can suggest for such a garden then please let me know in the comments.

And as a bonus a flower from my daughter’s garden – a shrub she didn’t know the name of – but full of bees. I’m now wondering if I should have taken some cuttings…

See here for the participant’s guide.

1. Jane Lurie says:

Hi Jude, A very enjoyable collection of flowers. How did Alice Hoffman get a Fuchsia named for her? 🙂 Your final photo with the honey bee is excellent. Hope your back feels better.

I didn’t even know who Alice was until I looked up the name! No idea how a fuchsia got named after her. The back is much better now, thank you, as long as I don’t overdo the gardening!

1. Jane Lurie says:

She’s famous for her edible school garden programs in addition to being a revered chef here. 🤗

2. Fab photos (especially the bee on the Caryopteris). Most of my Japanese anemones are looking rather sorry for themselves – presumably due to the lack of rain.

Some of my JA did look a bit brown and crispy for a while but back to normal now. I don’t water the beds they are in so they have to take pot luck.

3. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Lovely plants and photos. Hope your back is getting better

It is thanks MM. If I don’t try to do too much bending!

4. Suzanne says:

I won’t ask about your back 😉 Pleased you have a respite from gardening and perhaps more time to plan a few changes in the garden? The clematis ‘Polish Spirit’ is a beauty and autumn is one of my favourite seasons, usually not too hot ,not too cold, just right.

Autumn can be lovely though in Cornwall there are not many trees to give that autumnal colour we all love. I just hate the fact that the days get shorter. Already it is only getting light at 6 am and dark by 8 pm.

5. Ann Mackay says:

That hydrangea is gorgeous! I have Caryopteris here and the bees do love it – especially the Common Carders. I think it’s a very useful bee plant for this time of year – pretty too.

I might take a few cuttings next time I’m down there. It is a lovely shrub and not too big.

6. I’m catching up on all your posts now we’re back from our latest road trip. I hope your back is much better now.

Improving, but I am not doing any garden work yet!

7. Lovely colours, as always. I hope your bad back gets better soon, it’s such a nasty ailment and one that GGHI suffers from quite often.

The back is a nuisance – I have to be so careful not to twist in the wrong way.

8. kzmcb says:

Lovely colourful display.

9. Tina Schell says:

Loved this one Jude – especially your daughter’s plant w/bee and your glorious pink hydrangea. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one that color. Hope the back is feeling better!

My ordinary white mophead hydrangea goes pink in the autumn, but no flowers this year as I cut it back severely in spring to reshape the bush. The back is much better now thanks, though I still need to be careful.

10. Love that hydrangea and I am continually amazed by the fuchsias on SOS. Magnificent.

My fuchsias have been much better this year with some sunshine on them, though they ought to do well in the shade too.

1. Fuchsias are not commonly seen in the eastern US or I haven’t seen them. Love the plants.