Six on Saturday | What heat wave?

Whilst the rest of the UK – well the south east anyway – reached the highest temperature of the year so far here in the far west of the south-west it has been a challenging week at best. Torrential rain, wind, muggy mid-teen temperatures and some sunshine. At least it meant I could get my slug nematodes into the garden, let’s hope they work!

Anyway here are six more things to enjoy this Saturday.

First another look at last week’s Thalictrum ‘Black Stockings’ – now the flowers are fully open. What a little beauty!

Thalictrum ‘Black Stockings’

More Dutch irises have opened and looking fabulous festooned with raindrops.

Another surprise flower is this Arum lily. I thought I had pulled up all the yellow irises from this area of the garden including the arum lilies that were among them, but this escaped. Last year it grew leaves, this year no less than seven flowers! I am now considering buying one of the very dark purple ones, though they may not be as hardy.

Arum lily / Zantedeschia

A cute little plant that grows in the Butler sink (still not converted to a mini pond) is the Sisyrinchium angustifolium (Blue-Eyed Grass). Since the two Pasque flowers have done well this spring, maybe I just need to find a couple more alpines to put in this container that won’t rot over the wet winters.

Sisyrinchium angustifolium (Blue-Eyed Grass)

Another little sweetie to have survived its first winter is Pittosporum ‘Golden Ball’ which has variegated, golden-yellow foliage when young, contrasting with older yellow-green leaves. It has small, purple flowers in May and June. To the right is an Erodium ‘Bishop’s Form’.

Pittosporum tenuifolium ‘Golden Ball’

Not to be outdone by the Heucheras featured at the beginning of May, is this Heucherella with the delicious sounding name ‘Buttered Rum’. Unfortunately three of the other heucheras/heucherellas haven’t fared as well, but I did mange to rescue them and they are now in containers hopefully regaining their strength before going back into the garden.

Heucherella ‘Buttered Rum’

We are entering the last week or so of spring with so much to look forward to in our gardens.

1. The Thalictrum is lovely. Arum lilies grow semi-wild here. Fabulous iris – I’ve had no luck with them here.

I think the Arum lily goes to show that this particular area is quite moist. Japanese anemones grow well in the same place and a Marsh Marigold.

2. Rosie Amber says:

Oh wow, those black stockings and the arum lilies, fantastic!

The black stockings is stunning! And so far dealt well with the wind.

You so-so weather seems to be working well for your garden, Jude. We had that mini-heatwave, (23C one day) but today it is 16C and humid. More rain forecast for later.

It’s been beautiful today.

4. ‘Buttered Rum’ is a great colour and Thalictrum ‘Black Stockings’ is stunning. We had the week off and luckily got back home from our days out just before the rain started each day. I think I have Blue-eyed Grass somewhere. It is lovely.

It’s been a funny week weather-wise. But at least the flowers have enjoyed the soaking even if I didn’t.

5. fredgardener says:

I too have Sisyrinchium angustifolium, seeds that Jim gave me and which may bloom next year. Glad to see what it will look like.
    Regarding the heat wave we have indeed been a little affected here but reasonably and fortunately rain like you allows to have beautiful flowers in the garden. Very nice thalictrum but I have already said it…

The flowers have definitely enjoyed the rain, not so much yesterday’s wind, now I need to mow what is left of my lawn!

6. I’ll be interested to hear how the slug nematodes work. I’ve never heard of them. Amelia

I have used them for several years now, though not last year. They do seem to keep the slugs small even if not completely eradicated. Sadly it doesn’t affect snails of which I also have a lot.

7. Roguegarden says:

I love thalictrum and the Dutch irises are gorgeous. The blue eyed grass is native here – I have several dotted around the garden. The one planted in gravel seems to be the happiest.

Thanks RG. Some of my Dutch irises failed to open, they mysteriously collapsed at the neck!

8. Jane Lurie says:

A wonderful lush display, Jude. Enjoyed every shot. Is a Calla Lily the same as an Arum?

They look similar.
      “Arum lilies belong to the Zantedeschia genus (of which Zantedeschia aethiopica, a white variety, is the most well known), and they are larger and have a more open, flat shape. Calla lilies, a part of the Calla genus, tend to be smaller and more tightly-wound. ”
      And neither are actual lilies!

1. Jane Lurie says:

Thank you! You’re a font of gardening info. 🌸😀

Well I did look that up! But I knew they were similar but not quite the same family. I think the Calla lilies are more tender and usually grown as house plants here.

9. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Your irises are lovely. My blue irises are just coming. And the native yellow irises are out in the pond

I dug up all my native irises – mostly leaves and fewer flowers each year.

10. The Thalictrum is gorgeous! I think I will add that that to my long ‘want to try’ list for the garden. Your Dutch iris are beauties and after seeing the variety of colours you have I think I should be more adventurous. I only have the deep purple ones here. I unfortunately lost my Sisyrinchiums, and I think I should try growing them again, this time in pots, and see if they survive our climate. They are such pretty flowers.

First time with Dutch irises for me. I bought a metallic collection and the dark yellow ones are stunning. Though some have ‘broken necks’. Not sure if that is a lack of watering.

1. I was given some by a local lady, and they are all the deep purple colour. They have multiplied nicely. I did not realise that there are so many different colours available!