Six on Saturday | Spring Delights

I adore tulips. I have no idea why these flowers excite me so much – perhaps because there are so many varieties, so many colours, so many shapes, but I love having these in my garden (or on my balcony) during early spring. Sadly even the so-called late flowering types seem to arrive in April, but let’s enjoy them while they are here. As well as tulips though, there are other spring delights coming up this week, and there will be a round-up of all this years bulbs on Wednesday including the tulips…

(Please click on any image to scroll through the gallery)

My Kilmarnock Willow tree always fascinates me at this time of the year as the new leaves appear from the tips of the weeping branches, creating a kind of nature’s tutu. Sparrows love to congregate among the muddle of branches and this year a blackbird has taken to sitting on top singing its sweet song as the sun sets.

Garden View with lots of tulips

The Honeywort or  Cerinthe major ‘Purpurascens’ has popped up in the raised bed, though I do have new seeds to sow. And the Scabiosa ‘Butterfly Blue’ (Pincushion Flower), which seems far too pink to me is looking good this year, so far. The unknown ASDA clematis is a mass of white flowers and buds along the fence at the back of the garden and in the woodland border my Bleeding Heart (Lamprocapnos spectabilis; formerly Dicentra spectabilis) has risen from the ground. Tulipa ‘Purple Ladies’ are still hanging on in the verdigris container giving me a good four weeks of flowers.

Tulipa ‘Purple Ladies’ with matching purple Aubrieta in the background

So what is your favourite spring flower?

1. poppytump says:

Really delightful Jude. Your borders and pots are jam packed with Spring offerings ! I don’t really know the names of many tulips but after a nice show of some Parrot variety blubs I planted in November I’ve a feeling I may add some others… it’s having enough pots to go round that’s a problem Lol
    The willow is super, I love your description ‘nature’s tutu’. I can just imagine the tweeting and Sparrow gossip going on in its middle branches 😉 Have a great BH weekend !

2. Those purple lady tulips are gorgeous. Thank you for the pictures

They have definitely been worth their cost. Just about finishing now.

3. bushboy says:

Bring on Spring and the rest of Summer

Slowly, please. I hate that the spring and summer months go so fast. Only 7 or so weeks to the longest day!

1. bushboy says:

I love to see your garden and the summer flowers.

4. fredgardener says:

Very nice last photo of pinks and purples… I also do like the willow shape : narrow and straight !

5. Favorite spring flower…I guess daffodils, as they come up first here, where I always feel like I am waiting while everyone else has their tulips and bleeding heart (Love that one too, but no place for it where I live). Gorgeous pictures!

I always look forward to my early daffodils – the dwarf ones last for ages and a sure sign that it is spring. Tulips seem to come and go so quickly, especially when the weather is warm and dry. Which reminds me to go and water the containers.

1. When I lived in Seattle, I was amazed to see daffodils in front of a fire station that bloomed for more than a month. As someone observed: Seattle weather is good for plants, but not for people!

They do tend to last a while especially in cooler weather.

6. Toonsarah says:

I love tulips too – for me I think it’s partly the variety of colours but also the patterns at their hearts and the sculptural shape. Your ‘Purple Ladies’ are particularly lovely!

There are so many delightful tulips it is hard to choose which ones to plant each year, which is why I like to try different ones. I do have my favourites though.

7. I am always following your feed Jude. I, too am a huge fan of Tulips. I am asian and seeing Tulips for the first time when I came to Europe is nice. It was always a dream of me to see it in real. For me before it´s the flower of the Gods, it´s too expensive to buy it overseas but here, it grows everywhere, blooming crazily in beautiful colors in Spring.
    Growing it and letting it bloom was one of the wonders of Springs I have learned.
    I have planted many varieties last Fall and I love seeing them now.
    Your garden though looks like sweet haven–the fruit of your hardwork.
    Yes, simple joys pays.

Ah, thank you for such a lovely comment Christina. I am glad you also love tulips and get great joy from them. Europe in spring is a lovely time of the year.

8. Sunshine and tulips. Great photos and colours. Is it that a bamboo behind the table with the pots on it? It looks a very nice shape.

Correct! That is a bamboo, one which unfortunately is a runner and I am always trying to pull bits out. It does make a rather nice wind-break though and I do need one where I am! Next job is to pull off all the shoots to give a nice clean stem on each one, which is a lot of fun. Not.

9. I like each spring flower in its turn, from the first egg-yolk yellow crocuses to buttery yellow tulips with blue grape hyacinths at their feet, to dogwood blossoms (awfully slow this year in my neighborhood) and flowering ornamental cherries outside my bedroom window, brilliant white against cerulean blue skies. Alas, buds and first blossoms of the purple magnolia turned an ugly brown in a late freeze earlier this month. Their leaves will follow eventually.

Sadly frost (and wind) can brutally damage spring blossoms. And new leaves on trees too. But usually plants recover even if it means we have to wait another year.

1. That’s so true! Patience, gardeners!

10. Roguegarden says:

Beautiful photographs. The light shining through the honeywort and the satiny sheen of the purple tulips are particularly successful. Favorite spring flower is crocus because they come up first here and so seem to signal the change of seasons, which never feels less than miraculous.

Thanks RG. I do try to capture the light, especially in the evening when the sun shines low into my garden. I also like crocuses for the same reason as you, but they don’t last very long, and here they get battered by the wind and rain unfortunately.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: