Six on Saturday | In the Pink

After a week away I was shocked to see how much had grown. Nearly all my tulips are in flower and all the Muscari and Narcissi are over. Cooler weather in Cornwall, but that doesn’t appear to have slowed the growth.

So another Saturday and another Six. (NB in case you are confused by the title, ‘in the pink’ is an expression that means the peak of health or an optimal state’) although there is a lot of pink in this post.

(Please click on any image to scroll through the gallery)

It’s hard to choose this week. So many tulips demanding my attention, but other flowering plants too as you can see. The nicest thing is that several of these are a surprise – the anemones are from a few years ago and must have ended up in the compost, the osteospermum are from cuttings after the original plants grew too straggly/died and the pretty Greenland tulip popped up in a raised bed unexpectedly. Now that’s from years ago! Tulipa ‘Caviar’ on the other hand is a new variety for me this year and rather lovely. Though not that dissimilar to my ‘Purple Ladies’.

It appears that I have two robins visiting my garden and one or the other is always happy to accompany me whilst I am weeding, singing a happy song (the robin that is, not me). Got me wondering if it is only the males that have the red breast?

Lovely Robin and colourful plants, Jude. Sun out here again this morning, 13C.

Dull here Pete, but dry, which means I shall have to water the pots! Same kind of temperature though.

I saw on the news that this has been one of the driest Aprils for years. That’s fine with me! 🙂 x

2. peggy says:

Beautiful post. Love your flowers and all the little creatures that visit your yard.

We get lots of bird in the garden as I put out feeders and I like to encourage them in to find slugs as well!

1. peggy says:

Yes, slugs can sure cause problems.

3. Rosie Amber says:

Aren’t Robins both very similar? I always thought they both had red breast. Two together might be a pair as they fight off other Robins.

I had to look them up and yes apparently the male and female both have the red breast. I know they are territorial so maybe they are a pair, but I have never see two in the garden before. I love how they serenade me when I am outside.

4. A lovely selection. Allium cameleon is rather stunning, although I think the robin may have trumped them all – that’s a great photo.

I seem to be able to get very close to robins. I almost had one on my hand last week! They are such friendly birds. The Allium cameleon is in a container and the second year of growing it. I was going to plant the bulbs in the ground last autumn, but couldn’t be bothered (they are tiny bulbs). I wonder if they would spread if in the ground?

5. Roguegarden says:

The alliums flower heads have a lovely texture, and I really like the streak of green in the Greenland tulip’s petals.

These alliums are tiny! But very pretty.

6. It is lovely to have surprises in the garden. This has happened to me from time to time and I wonder how it can work that so many things are so difficult then something pops up from the compost! Amelia

Yes, it’s nice when plants find their own sweet spot!

7. margaret21 says:

Oooh. Pretty in pink indeed.

8. I see the male and female Robin question has been answered. I had pair accompanying me in the garden last week and now I see they were a happy twosome. I love the tulip Greenland. I missed out on reading your post last week about Wisley, which I enjoyed reading as I haven’t been for years but have a visit lined up soon. I didn’t realise how much it had changed.

The viridiflora tulips seem to be rather good at coming back, next year I might try more of this type.

Lovely gentle anemone.

10. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Lovely colours. Robins are so lovely to have in the garden

They are a joy!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: