Six on Saturday | April arrives

Looking back at early April 2020 I was surprised to see so many tulips in flower. And at the beginning of this week I only had my new species tulips in bloom. By the end of the week though all had changed. But I shall leave the tulips for the moment and have a look at what else has popped up this week creating quite a colourful garden.

(Please click on any image to scroll through the gallery)

(1) Thalia in a container that I first planted in the autumn of 2019.  I remove the bulbs after the leaves go yellow and store them until October, but the ones planted in the raised bed have come back each year too.  A lovely clear white flower that would look nice with some pink tulips. Maybe I’ll remember next year! (2) Euphorbia x martini is a lovely spurge, bearing dark grey-green rosettes of leaves and upright bracts in lime-green with a red eye and grows in the herb bed. It really needs to be moved, but I’d hate to kill it!

(3) Scilla Chionodoxa luciliae  / Glory of the Snow grows in both the raised bed and the woodland border, the blue ones in the latter. White ones in the raised bed. They seem very reliable but so low to the ground they are not the easiest of flowers to photograph. They flower for 3-4 weeks with a carpet of dainty, star-shaped, flowers.

Pulmonaria

(4) Pulmonaria ‘Opal’ is in the woodland border too. Every year I wonder if this is going to return as most of the leaves rot away and they always seem to take an age to re-appear. It has a very pale blue opalescent flower that is not very noticeable, but the silver-spotted leaves are pretty.

(5) Forget-me-nots just have to have a place in one of the six this month as they photo bomb just about every photo. The gorgeous blue makes a lovely background to the stars of the spring garden, and although it self-seeds madly all around the place it is also quite easy to pull out once you have had enough of it.

My final offering is the barrel of (6) Tulipa pulchella  ‘Little Beauty’ which was planted in the autumn of 2020 so first flowered last year. It is another dwarf tulip and I am rather pleased to see it return in such abundance, though possibly the flowers are a bit smaller than last year. It is a very short stemmed tulip with pink buds followed by a multi-coloured flower. The centre is deep blue, surrounded by a white zone leading to bright fuchsia pink. The exterior is cherry red. A bulb may produce up to four flowers which need reasonably bright conditions to open fully so best planted in full sun.

Little Beauty from 2021

March ended on a bit of a cold spell with winds coming down from the Arctic north, but fortunately other than proving difficult to get photos in the wind, hasn’t caused any problems here. Here’s hoping for a lovely warm and sunny April with a few overnight showers so I don’t have to water all the containers!

1. Rosie Amber says:

I think that the forget-me-nots are living up to their name with the photo bombs.

Haha… yes indeed, you can’t forget them!

2. Wonderfully vibrant little tulips! I love your photo of the forget-me-nots, they may be everywhere but who minds when they’re so pretty? I planted Thalia this year as an edging to one of the communal allotment beds, intermixed with forget-me-nots, it’s a pretty combo, though pink tulips sound good too.

I have FMNs in the bed with the white daffs too. In fact they set off pretty much all the spring bulbs with their pretty faces.

3. poppytump says:

Hello Jude …
    I know forget me knots photo bomb lol but I do love them ! I think we need a little more warmth .. little beauty lives up to the name it is really rather attractive ! Adrian and I pottered round a garden center way back in the Autumn and chose some pot luck varieties … some are peeeping up through their foliage I’m looking forward to a full on bloom soon . The cowslip ? there in your photo is lovely .. I’m hoping a pot I picked up in Dorset recently will make itself at home home here @ no 4 .

How lovely to hear from you Poppy! I do hope Adrian is keeping well, I miss his fabulous photography (and your artwork). And yes that is a cowslip. I bought two last year but only this one is in flower at the moment, they seem to flower for ages in the dappled shady area.

1. poppytump says:

Thank you Jude ! I recently gave myself a push and have re-engaged with blogging … yes Adrian is keeping pretty well 🙂 We’ve a planned trip to Scotland coming up in May so we’re both looking forward to some photography / sketching and for DH there’ll be Geology galore …
        Plenty of shade in our garden so maybe my Dorset cowslip will thrive !

4. That tulip is stunning!

Certainly worthy of the name ‘Little Beauty’. I am now waiting for ‘Peppermint Sticks’ to open.

5. Beautiful, Jude. It made me happy to see them and the feeling of spring they engender.

janet

I love spring so my garden reflects that. Glad it makes you happy too!

6. Beautiful, as always. I had one lone forget me not this summer so I let it go to seed and then scattered the seeds everywhere. Hopefully some will come up. The rain should make a difference.

7. Cathy says:

I love T Little Beauty, and think I need to top up mine here

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: