Six on Saturday | Spring is marching on

Hard to choose just six this week as there is so much to choose from. With the help of a lot of bright sunshine this week more and more spring bulbs and flowers are popping up. And it has been a pleasure to spend time in the garden with the sun on my back whilst pulling out the hairy bittercress which is everywhere.

(Please click on any image to scroll through the gallery)

I was surprised to see the (1) yellow and lilac osteospermum coming into flower already, in fact I was expecting these to die over the winter as they are not hardy types. (2) The ‘Pink Sunrise’ Muscari features again this week along with the Muscari ‘Latifolium’ which means ‘broad-leaved’. Most muscari varieties have narrow strappy leaves so this is quite different. I was hoping that the deep blue would make a nice contrast with the pale pink, but the jury is out. Possibly a paler blue would have been better? I do have some of those too which I will show next week.

Another welcome surprise is (3) Geum ‘Red Wings’  in flower as it’s flowering season is May – early autumn, though I have seen Geum ‘Bell Bank’ flowering in January and the bright orange (4) Calendula in the herb bed have been flowering throughout the winter months. (5) Geranium macrorrhizum ‘Ingwersen’s Variety’ has also come into growth and spreading along the woodland border wall. It took me a while to find a location that suited this plant.

Finally (6) are the Snake’s head fritillary / Fritillaria meleagris which I had planted in a grassy patch a couple of years ago. The grass didn’t work well as it became very messy over the summer and difficult to mow, so I removed it and replaced it with pebbles, unsure as to whether the bulbs would come through. But they have and the pretty patterned nodding heads look quite charming in the sunshine. I’m still undecided about this area and wondering whether to remove the pebbles and spread compost and bark chippings on it instead.

Snake’s head fritillary

The Snake’s head fritillary is the county flower of Oxfordshire and every year Ducklington church in Oxfordshire holds a ‘Fritillary Sunday‘ when the public can walk around a field full of this wildflower.

Enjoy your gardens this weekend as it appears that we are all due for some sunshine and it is of course the Vernal Equinox when daylight hours = night time hours! Yay! Spring has properly sprung,

1. So many blooms already! I love your Fritillaria meleagris. It seems to seed itself in my yard, and will grow both in gravel and in grass…

That’s good to know!

2. I love the fritillaries.

Yes, they are such delicate looking flowers but actually very robust.

3. Cathy says:

Ha – hairy bittercress everywhere here, too. Sometimes I think I should just give the garden over to it in spring and stop trying! Love that red geum (so early!!!) and I think the pebbles look lovely with the frits, so I’d be inclined to stay with them!

You can eat the bittercress, it’s a bit like rocket. I tried some but it tastes too earthy for me.

1. Cathy says:

I will wait a little before eating hairy bittercress! Maybe when there’s no rocket left!!!!

4. Tina Schell says:

Marvelous images of glorious blooms Jude. Loved your close-ups especially. Looks like spring is fully in bloom!

It has definitely begun. Keeping my eyes on the tulips though they are still a few weeks away except for the species tulips which are already flowering.

5. Those fritillaria have such unusual petals, I have the slightly paler ones and, I think, some white ones. We will see in the next couple of weeks.

I have a couple of white ones too, not easy to photograph though.

6. Suzanne says:

The Snake’s head fritillary are a gorgeous colour and it would be amazing to see masses of them. The bluebells were incredible to stumble upon when out dog walking in the UK and France. Good memories.

I don’t have any bluebells, but they grow on the hill and I love seeing them in May.

1. Suzanne says:

Well, Jude, you don’t need to grow them when you have a free view of the hill.

They look much better in large drifts, as do snowdrops. My garden wouldn’t do them justice.

7. n20gardener says:

Such a joy to see all your colours and such great photos too! I very much liked your click through gallery with the captions on the photos. Very neat!

Thank you. More colours every day in the sunshine.

8. susurrus says:

The garden seems very advanced. I was surprised to see the geranium in flower. All that colour must be very welcome.

I was surprised to see all the different flowers too! The bulbs seem later than usual so why these others are early I have no idea. Other than I haven’t had any frost this winter. Let’s hope there isn’t one now!

9. Ann Mackay says:

I’m amazed at how much earlier your flowers are than here. No sign of any geraniums or geums for a long while yet. Lovely to see all the gorgeous colour!

I’m not sure that the geranium has flowered this early before, the geum is new, but still seems early though another one was flowering in January!

1. Ann Mackay says:

Wow! That is really early!

10. Cathy says:

The pebbles seem to set off the fritillary well – different from a woodland setting, but still pretty. Isn’t it bizarre the strange times that things can bloom? Those pink muscari are pretty, aren’t they?

I’m not sure about the pink muscari, they seem a bit insipid, but they are growing on me as they age.

1. Cathy says:

I wonder if it’s because it seems an odd colour for muscari.. 😉

Maybe, but that’s what attracted me. I think I prefer white ones, this is too pale a pink.

2. Cathy says:

I like the white ones too and have a clump or two in what was the snowdrop border. I bought a last minute pack of mixed muscari from Wilkos but they all seem to be blue!

I think my whites were part of a mixed pack, with blues and the pretty latifolium, some have appeared again which is always nice.