Pelargoniums (3)

Pelargoniums have been a favourite of mine for many years beginning from when I lived in Cape Town, South Africa, back in 1980 and grew the regal variety outdoors. At the time my then husband and I collected the ones known as ‘slams’ in different colours.

Since moving to Cornwall I have bought several new plants over the last 5 years including:

Fairy Fantasy, Mr. Wren, Nellie Nuttall, Berkswell Golden Anniversary, Lord Bute, Carisbrooke, Black Prince, April Hamilton, Marchioness of Bute, Ardens, Lawrenceanum, White Boar, Aztec and Dark Secret.

All those that have been crossed out have sadly crossed the rainbow bridge or wherever it is plants go to die.

Scented Pelargoniums:
Sweet Mimosa, Prince of Orange, Pink Capricorn and Attar of Roses.

I also had several zonal pelargoniums, bought for summer colour, but kept over winter in the house or conservatory. Now I am not so bothered about keeping those over winter unless they are named varieties.

I’m not tempted to buy any more as I am determined to try and reduce the number of pots that I have. And overwintering hasn’t been too successful the past couple of years due to white fly.

1. bushboy says:

I have a Rose Scented Pelagonium πŸ™‚

They do smell lovely.

2. margaret21 says:

I’m not good with pelargoniums. It’s a shame, because as you show here, they’re a lovely flower.

They are, but they do need to be indoors over winter, though I am leaving some of the scented ones outside.

1. margaret21 says:

Indoors but not forgotten. That’s my difficulty:(

I used to keep mine on windowsills, before I moved here. They only need watering once a month.

2. margaret21 says:

The benefits of hindsight!

3. A beautiful selection that has reminded me that I still have some outdoors that I really should have brought in.

4. BeckyB says:

wow you have tried so many – our prolonged absences mean over wintering them is not an option for us sadly.

They were lovely in the conservatory the first couple of years, not so good last year.

1. BeckyB says:

last year was tough for everyone whether plant, animal or human!

They look lovely, but I can’t be doing with anything that cannot be left outside all year.
    As you know all too well, I am not a ‘real’ gardener. πŸ™‚

I’m getting the same Pete. Moving things in and out is a pain. (in the back usually) πŸ˜…

6. They are so pretty. I was recently given several cuttings of one with the most beautiful baby pink flowers and all of them seem to have rooted successfully. Yay! I’m going to put a couple in my rose garden and the rest in pots. Our winters aren’t severe enough to damage them outside.

In Cape Town ours stayed outdoors all year round, but then there were no frosts.

1. We rarely get frost. There was only one this past winter.

Rare down here too.

Carisbrooke is a lovely shell-pink one.

7. Ann Mackay says:

What a lovely collection of flowers! My husband usually has pots of geraniums in the front garden (his area) and does overwinter a few inside. But we get the horrible whitefly in them too, argh! (And scale insects in other things – plants indoors are much more difficult than those outside!)

I totally agree. I used to have quite a lot of indoor plants and then they got attacked by scale insects, no matter what I tried I could not get rid of it and of course it spread among the plants. In the end I had to throw them all out.

1. Ann Mackay says:

I have heard that neem oil works against scale insects, so I think I’ll give it a try. (I don’t use anything outside but I won’t have to worry about harming other insects inside, especially at this time of ear.)

8. Invisibly Me says:

I can see why Pelargoniums are one of your favourites. They’re so pretty, and you’ve got some beautiful close-up photos 🌺🌸

Caz x

9. Reduce the number of pots? Please let me know how to do that. I say it every year and they just seem to multiply πŸ˜‚

Well, I have just bought a load more for the spring bulbs! But I have stopped taking cuttings. And I am thinking of reducing the number of plants I grow. More minimalist.

10. susurrus says:

Very evocative plants. I prefer the regals / angel types because they are so bushy.

The scented leaved ones seem to do well in my climate. I cut them back in spring and they bush out nicely. They are left outdoors, so hoping we don’t have any frosts, or I may have to rush out with some fleece!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: