Six on Saturday | Reasons to be Cheerful

Torrential rain, thunder and lightning and gales kept me out of the garden at the beginning of the week, but on Thursday the sun shone again and the sky was blue though the temperature had dropped 6 degrees from a mild 17.5°C to a mere 11°C. Only one more week of BST to enjoy before the clocks go back and darkness descends at 5pm.  Meanwhile the autumn colours deepen as shown on the Virginia Creeper on the front of the house. I really need to get someone in to clear the gutters and cut back the climbing hydrangea too.

(1) It’s a time of year when textures and patterns become more noticeable. First up is this Heuchera ‘Coralberry’ which also provides warm colour.

(2) Another beautifully patterned leaf is this hardy Cyclamen coum which resides under the Kilmarnock willow tree. The flowers have now disappeared, but the rounded heart-shaped leaves form a lovely carpet.

(3) Still adding colour to the beds is Osteospermum ‘Tresco Purple’, though this particular clump grows from the Cornish hedge in the ‘Wild’ part of the garden. As you can see there are lots of flower buds.

(4) More purple comes from several Verbena bonariensis plants that self-seeded around the gravel garden (and in pots), late to flower it is still looking good, swaying in the rather strong breeze. Last year Goldfinches descended on the large plant I had and devoured much of the seed so I was more than thrilled to see some seedlings appear in the summer.

(5) The only plant that really shows good autumn colour is the Bittersweet vine which turns from green to a lovely buttery yellow before the winds finish it off. Sadly mine is a male plant so does not produce those lovely berries I was hoping for.

(6) Finally, a view from the gravel garden towards the Zen patio. This photo was taken before the recent storm which has reduced the number of flowers on the Gaura. The ox-eye daisies are still going strong though.

Several of the tender plants such as pelargoniums, echeverias, aeoniums, agave and Crassula ovata (jade plant) have been brought indoors before the heavy rain. Pots of bulbs popped underneath tables and benches. If the weather remains dry over the weekend I have several jobs to complete – cutting down the jasmine and pulling out the sweetpeas and pruning back Nelly Moser clematis as she has gone a bit wild.

1. Some lovely autumn colours to accompany the some of the still-going-strong flowers! The Verbenas, in particular, look very nice indeed.

The verbenas are still going strong, it’s a shame they are scattered around the garden though!

2. BeckyB says:

think today’s the day to get out if you can, tomorrow looks dreadful – here anyway

Very grey here, might be a day for reading a book!

1. BeckyB says:

Yeah I am not being called outside either!

3. fredgardener says:

The heuchera are gorgeous at this time of the year. I also grow the Heuchera ‘Coralberry’ which is for me next to small blue asters.
    You do well to remind me of bringing succulents indoors ( first in the greenhouse) to dryness before the rain that arrives next week. This will allow them to gradually take up their winter quarters afterwards.

4. Kent and Cornwall, opposite extremities of the South of England, are almost like different countries when it comes to weather. We did have some torrential overnight rain on Monday night/Tuesday morning but then just a grey week with occasional bursts of sun. I’m pretty convinced that by this time of year, when I was a kid growing up in Derby, we were well into frosts by now. Bonfire Night was always perishing cold – never mind these October temperatures in the teens! Looking at your photos, I think you’re a bit ahead of us with autumn colours too – we only really have the horse chestnuts with any major change so far. It’s all very green – especially after so long in Greece.

It’s always milder here in the south-west, but of course that usually means cloud / rain. I often think Cornwall is a separate country to the rest of the UK. And as a northerner myself I remember well those cold and frosty Octobers and the deep snow of winter months!

1. Ha yes, as very regular and long term visitors to Cornwall we know the differences well, and love them all. Well maybe not the rain!

5. bushboy says:

Love the colours of the Bittersweet, Hopefully Goldfinches will help disperse the seed around the garden 🙂

I bought the bittersweet for the lovely orange and pink berries without realising that only female plants produce them (and probably need a male) As long as it doesn’t go crazy I’ll keep it as it does look lovely when the leaves turn yellow.

6. Osteospermum ‘Tresco Purple’ is such a good plant. I’ve so far resisted the charms of Heucheras but that one has tempted me. I like the idea of some colourful foliage during the winter months.

I leave my Osteos outside all year, though I have lost the Tresco Purple a couple of times in doing this! Heucheras not only keep their colour (though they can look tatty as winter progresses) they also tend to not get eaten! I have at long last binned my Hosta after another year of it being totally shredded.

7. Glad to hear that goldfinches feed on verbena seeds, I would love some finches to visit and feed here. Love the patterns on that beautiful heuchera and the cyclamen too, for small leaves they really pack a punch.

I was very surprised to see the Goldfinch last year, I counted 18 of them! The cyclamen leaves are actually quite large now, my white ones on the other hand seem to have disappeared altogether. Sigh… 😢

1. 18 goldfinches, that must have been a lovely sight. I also have had disappearing cyclamen, maybe those squirrels!

It was almost dark here at 4:30 yesterday, and also chilly today, at the same 11C.
    I have finally employed a lanscaper to sort out the front in December. He can do the back garden and patio area in the Spring.

I know the feeling Pete – when it is grey and rainy it never seems to get light! We felt like it was time for bed by 3 pm! And the lights are on all day now too, except upstairs where the Velux windows keep it light. Have you got plans for the gardens then?

The front needs digging up and new shingle. Then the removal of some overgrown boring shrubs and brambles around the base of the front oak tree. The climbing hydrangea has to go from next to the front door, as the suckers are crumbling the brickwork.
        At the back, we need the patio weeded and cleared, then the gaps sealed with cement. When that is all done by next Srping, I will get some stone tubs and grow something colourful for a change! x

Sounds good. I need to get someone in to redesign the back of my garden as I want a natural pond there and I am not going to try and dig that myself!

9. The garden (and the house) are beautiful. What an inviting and cozy place.

10. pommepal says:

Such a pretty cottage you live in Jude. As you cool off we are rapidly heating up, over 30 today + the humidity has arrived along with almost daily storms, though, thankfully, in the evenings.

Definitely cooling down now PP, you’d like the history of our house as it used to be the milking stalls for a dairy herd!

1. pommepal says:

I would feel quite at home there then. I spent many years with cows in those buildings…

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: