Six on Saturday | Sunshine and Showers

It has been another strange week, beginning on Monday which was my birthday. The weather was rather gloomy and cloudy, but we headed off to a beach café anyway for lunch during which the cloud cleared, the sun came out and bright blue skies appeared! The rest of the week was pretty much the same, some mizzle, lots of fog, cloudy days, heavy rain, showers and rainbows and some chilly evenings (two of which saw the wood-burner being lit) but often very mild days. I managed to get some bulbs planted and some cutting back carried out in the raised beds, but there is still lots to do so I am hoping for a few dry and sunny days.

(1) Another plant on the front steps is this pretty Heuchera which has looked good all year, though probably could do with repotting next spring. This is Heuchera ‘Ginger Ale’ with more reddish tints at this time of the year.

(2) Along with the heuchera above are two female Skimmia Japonica plants. One was supposed to be ‘Kew White’ with white berries but unfortunately I received two ‘Nymans’ which has red berries. Although they are next to each other and receive the same treatment, one of these plants has developed a lot of yellow leaves. Any advice?

(3) Agave Americana Variegata. Time to bring this plant indoors. It doesn’t get exceptionally cold here, but it does get very wet. Already I have discovered that several of my baby echeverias that have been outside all summer have rotted. They and the parents are now indoors where they will remain dry until the spring. Looking at this photo it appears there are some pups, so I shall have to try and repot this and remove the pups to make new plants.

(4) This pretty Athyrium niponicum, the Japanese painted fern, on the other hand will remain outdoors. It will die down over the winter.

(5) Asters are in flower now, these are one from the  Island series of dwarf Michaelmas daisies with semi-double violet-purple flowers with golden centres.

(6) And a final look at the sweet peas which haven’t done very well this year. I sowed some myself, but they were slow to grow and quite puny so I bought some seedlings from a nursery that were much stronger. They put on a lot of growth but not many flowers. I do like these rich colours  and the wonderful scent so I shall try again next year.

1. fredgardener says:

It’s amazing to see sweet peas still blooming right now! Even if they haven’t done very well with you, you can still enjoy them a little.
    I do like your agave & that pot : They are going well together

My sweet peas were planted very late, probably late May! A nice burst of scent today as I brushed past (they have collapsed on the frame)

2. BeckyB says:

Yay for the sun putting its hat on for your Birthday 🙂

been strange weatherwise this end of the country too, and so warm some days

Nice and warm today AND sun and blue sky so I got some work done in the garden. Need a few more though to dig up one of the beds that is overgrown.

1. BeckyB says:

Fabulous 🙂

3. I think skimmias prefer acid soil and often it is recommended to water with rain water rather than tap but also when my shrubs yellow a bit I give them a tonic of sequestered iron – they are often anaemic when yellowing.
    Your agave is impressive especially in that pot – how old is it? I have a 2-year-old pup back on my windowsill. Love the expectancy buried with those Spring pots and the colour of your asters
    and belated birthday wishes Jude – the sun smiles on the righteous!

Well they both only get rain water and are in the same compost, but I will look into the iron. My agave is quite small, bought it in 2017 I think.

4. bushboy says:

Thanks for my lovely Saturday Tour Jude. Is doing the gardening getting easier? 🙂 🙂

Yes, thanks Brian. Pretty much recovered now, but I am taking it easy with the digging. Might have to leave some things until spring.

1. bushboy says:

Good idea 🙂

5. Ann Mackay says:

Japanese painted fern is something I used to grow in Scotland but would be unlikely to survive here. Shame, because it’s such a lovely plant. Glad you had some sunshine for your birthday!

Thanks Ann, yes ferns definitely need moisture.

I like the spiky-leaf succulent. We had a return to summer here. Three days of 20C+ and sunny afternoons. I actually felt a bit too hot on Friday! 🙂
    Best wishes, Pete.

You had the best of the weather. We had fog.

7. Those dwarf Michaelmas daisies are rather lovely. Seeing them has reminded me that I had something very similar but I fear it is no more.

It’s sad how many plants simply disappear.

8. Pit says:

The Agave looks very pretty. Well, as do all your other flowers, too. Here, we’re waiting for rain!
    Have a great weekend,
    Pit

I must remember to bring that agave indoors!

1. Pit says:

And we will very likely have to cover ours at some time.

9. Happy belated Birthday.
    My Agave has survived 4 winters outside and continues to flourish.

Ah, that’s good to know, but is yours in the ground or a container?

1. In a pot but I put it in a sheltered spot for the winter. Same with my olive tree.

Nice heuchera 🤗💕

Looking at some of the others this afternoon I think I might be needing some new ones next year.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: