Six on Saturday | autumn has arrived

Well autumn has certainly arrived this week after some pretty good September weather the wind and rain have returned. Just as I was about to commence bulb planting! Fortunately it was dry and sunny on Wednesday so I managed to get some done then. More bulbs arrived yesterday (that I had forgotten ordering) so hope there are some sunny days ahead! Not today though.

(1) Fuchsia no name – I have several hardy fuchsias in containers, some at the front courtyard and the rest on the Zen Patio, but this one is in the garden. Probably not the best spot as it gets full sun and as a consequence (I believe) all the leaves go horribly yellow and fall off in the summer, but since August’s rather cool and wet weather it has been looking good again. In fact I have noticed lots of fuchsia hedges simply dripping with these dainty flowers in the Cornish lanes in September.

It’s planted just in front of the patio, sharing space with the coral Penstemon, so not a great colour combo!

(2) Talking about the courtyard, let’s have a look at what is flowering on the steps at the moment. Two SunPatiens (a white and a blush pink) which have been flowering since mid-May. SunPatiens are stronger and far more robust than standard impatiens and withstand wind, rain, humidity, scorching heat and cool shade. Accompanying them are some cheap zonal pelargoniums from Tesco, the delicate white Hawkshead fuchsia as well as ferns and the golden Hakonechloa macra Aureola / Japanese forest grass. Weirdly one fern looks to have died and my white mop-head Hydrangea is looking terrible! I might actually cut this right back to base next spring and I suspect it really needs some new compost.

(3) Moving to the Cornish hedge for the only thing that is flowering now – a Persicaria which I think is Persicaria affinis ‘Donald Lowndes’. I have a deeper red one in the Bee and Butterfly garden. They are both low-growing types which make excellent ground cover.

(4) In at number four is this sunflower. I tried growing them from seed this year, but once planted out into the garden as quite spindly plants I thought they had all been eaten. I was surprised to see this in the raised bed and wonder if it actually will manage to flower! I might be tempted to have another go next year.

(5) Most of the Heucheras are still looking good, though I had to rescue a couple that were planted in this dappled shade bed as they were actually being eaten! By snails I think. This is on the edge though and seems to have faired better, producing yet another flush off the dainty flowers. This Heucheralla ‘Buttered Rum’ (Foamy Bells)is decidedly looking much greener now though.

(6) Around the large flat rock in my garden which was the motivation behind creating this as a gravel garden are my new grasses and Gaura. Difficult to photograph they do look lovely swaying in the breeze. I’m debating as to whether or not I leave the Aeonium outdoors this winter.

I hope you get a break in the weather next week for planting. It has been very cold here this morning, and we had to put the heating on for the first time since March.

My heating is staying off until November – the oil runs down quickly once I put the underfloor heating on and I try not to refill the tank until the end of January. The woodburner will suffice for now, I hope!

2. Nice flowers. Thank you 😊

3. bushboy says:

Another lovely Saturday stroll through your garden. Thanks Jude 🙂 🙂

Pleasure to have your company Brian 😊

4. That fuchsia is a show and wow to the silhouette sky photo.

The fuchsia almost got uprooted in the storms in the spring, so I think I need to cut it right back before the winter storms appear!

5. margaret21 says:

Autumn (winter?) arrived today with a howl, so good luck with your planting plans.

1. BeckyB says:

Felt so wintry this morning, house actually felt cold. I am counting down the days now to a warmer winter in Portugal!

How long are you there for?

1. BeckyB says:

Apartment booked for 6months, but we will be to and fro as usual depending on ease of travelling

Same place as before or a new one? I hadn’t realised you could book for that length of time.

3. BeckyB says:

same place as before, as much as would like to try something new after more than 2 years away we thought we’d better start again at the same place. At least initially

And yes they are fabulous – get really good rates if you book directly with them for longer periods

Very wet overnight and this morning, but it seems to be clearing now. Not going to do any planting today though!

1. margaret21 says:

I bet not. Sunday?

So far sunshine and showers and very windy!

But I did manage an hour in the garden to cut back some dead plants – no point leaving tall ones here over winter, it is far too windy!

6. susurrus says:

The aeonium might be hardier than it looks, but there’s no guarantees and I dare say winter will not think to be kind to us in a fuel crisis. Your header is a wonderful shot.

I’ll put the aeonium in a more sheltered place and under cover so it doesn’t get too wet. We rarely have much in the way of frost, but I can always bring it indoors if one is threatened.

7. fredgardener says:

We can’t contradict you, autumn is here but you managed to present us with very pretty colorful photos. I don’t know about you but I always bring home my aeoniums ( dry during the winter). The humidity and the cold are terrible for them.

I usually keep the aeoniums in my conservatory where they are frost free, but last year they weren’t very healthy. I might leave one pot out in a sheltered spot and under cover.

8. Love the sky colours in your header photo, I also have some like that this week! The fuchsia has great impact and the aeoniums really stand out too, would they survive a Cornish winter?

Aeoniums are outside in other gardens in Cornwall, though mine is probably far more exposed than those. They weren’t too happy indoors last year, so I’m thinking of maybe a sheltered spot under a table or something. I do have a few pots, so worth the risk I think.

1. Yes you could try a few in different spots – may the toughest aeonium win 😉

9. You’ve still got lots of cheery colour in your garden – it looks lovely as always. My sunflowers didn’t fare too well this year. I planted them from seed from the bird food as I forgot to buy ‘proper’ ones and they germinated, and survived the slugs, but barely made it to one metre tall, not the towering flowers I had hoped for.

Annuals seemed to suffer badly this year. I will have another go with the sunflowers though.

1. Likewise. I will be trying cosmos and sunflowers again next year. Hopefully nature will be behaving itself better. 🙂

There’s always solace in a garden, isn’t there? Do you spend all your rainy days looking at bulb catalogues, I wonder? Of course not! That’s what a blog’s for 🤣💕

Rainy days are for blogging, reading and watching the TV and editing photos of course!