Cloudscapes

I used to be more of a ‘detail’ photographer, zooming in on objects, passionate about flower photography and the closer the better which led me to purchasing a dedicated macro lens. Then I moved to Shropshire where the rural landscape catches the eye. Wide open spaces and hills. I still wasn’t a landscape photographer though, more like taking snapshots of the views without really considering the composition. Trips to the US and Canada where the landscapes are BIG started me thinking more seriously about what I wanted to say to the viewer of my images, how I wanted to showcase the scene in front of me.

(Please click  on the images to enlarge)

Mount’s Bay

Moving to Cornwall in 2016 had another effect on how I take photos. Now I have seascapes to consider and hills and ancient lands. And clouds.

Landscape
St Michael’s Mount and the Lizard in the distance

Today we visited a local garden for a walk among trees in the September sunshine and on the way home I detoured along a favourite route of mine which takes me through the narrow lanes of West Penwith to the Celtic Sea. Another detour took me to the Ding Dong mines,  reputedly one of the oldest mines in Cornwall. Sixteen separate mines came together early in the 19th. century to form the present sett including Ding Dong in the middle.

Rows and floes of angel hair / And ice cream castles in the air / And feather canyons everywhere / I’ve looked at clouds that way

I was not expecting the views across the fields to Mount’s Bay and the Lizard in the distance and the most wonderful fluffy white cumulus clouds.

The Greenburrow engine house shown here is the best preserved of the three that still remain and can be seen for miles around. It was built in 1865 for a 40 inch pumping engine.

Greenburrow Engine House / Bosiliac in the landscape (hard to believe in this barren location that by 1874 Ding Dong mine had five beam engines and a workforce of 273)
Greenburrow Engine House (close-up)
Ding Dong Mine with sunset colours in the foreground

As I had the macro lens on my camera all these photos were taken using my Huawei Pro 20 phone with a wide setting.

To end a most delightful day we were treated to the first glorious September sunset – assisted by the clouds of course. And a sign that autumn is here.

Lens Artists Photo Challenge #165 | Going Wide

1. the light you have in Cornwall is some of the best- I love your big skies and the clouds that are as much a landscape as the land over which they rise. p.s. I too have been mulling over what kind of photography I want to take though for different reasons

Yes, the light is incredible down here, not so much pollution I suppose as there are no big towns or cites and this part of Cornwall is almost surrounded by the sea.

2. Sandra says:

Beautiful! I noticed the sunset too. Autumn calls …

The bonus of these autumn and winter months is that we do tend to get some incredible sunsets, helped by the fact that our house faces east/west. When it’s not raining, of course. 🌧

3. I’ve looked at life from both sides now…… and still somehow, from life’s illusions, I recall…. I really don’t know life….at all…
    Great song lyric but wonderful photos; I think you know how much we love Cornwall, these cloud photos are fabulous, casting me straight back to the Cornish coast…

Clouds always make me think of that song!

4. Toonsarah says:

Beautiful cloudscape, and I really love your first photo of that old Engine House in particular, with the path off-centre. Interesting composition! Plus a quote from the great Jong, as a bonus 😀

I like to try a different focus on the subjects. Once I would not have even thought about how I was framing an image.

5. Leya says:

The Cornwall light is gorgeous – and that phone seems to be a treasure. Very much enjoyed these!

Thanks A-C. The phone is definitely good for wide angles.

1. Leya says:

You just proved it.

Julie sees ‘faces’ and ‘things’ in clouds. I don’t get that, but she would have a field day with your photos, Jude.

I couldn’t see anything remotely interesting in the clouds, just fluffy and solid looking, you can imagine lying on them and floating away…

7. Such a beautiful collection of photos, colour and shape and views – just lovely. 🙂

8. Tina Schell says:

Oh nooooooo Jude – not autumn yet!!!!! Loved your cloudscapes, they’re wonderful. You have a terrific eye.

It’s been like autumn since August Tina. But we are enjoying some lovely weather during September so far, but those nights are drawing in fast.

9. Cathy says:

I enjoyed your range of cloudscapes, Jude

Thanks Cathy. I had a thing about clouds at the beginning of the year when we were back under lockdown and having to walk the same old paths. When I saw these clouds I just had to capture them.

10. Wonderful set. I won’t even try to pick a favourite; I love them all

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: