Six on Saturday | Sweet September

I had a look back at my early September post from 2020 to see what I featured then. The three types of Japanese Anemones¹ are all thriving, though Pamina is producing some odd flowers this year. Hemp Agrimony ( Eupatorium cannabinum) still annoys me, but it’s difficult to dig out as it is wedged between a granite slab and a wall. Selinium wallichianum died. It was riddled with black aphids last year and eventually rotted. And the pinkish yarrow has yet to flower though there are a lot of pretty ferny foliage on the Cornish hedge.

(1) Such excitement when I noticed a flower spike on one of my three Amarine ‘Anastasia’ bulbs. I bought and planted these in a container in the spring of 2019. For two years they have produced leaves, but no flowers. This year I was wondering whether to find somewhere in the garden to plant them, but I ended up shoving the pot on the wall which gets full sun most of the day. And then this week I noticed a second spike! I’m just hoping that we don’t have any awful gales or that some creature will take a fancy to the flowers. I also noticed that they are heliotropic – tracking the sun as it moves.

Not the best of photos, but I just had to take one (just in case). If you are wondering what is an Amarine  it is a cross between the elusive Nerine with the showy Amaryllis. Another name is Belladiva and I am hoping to see this diva in full bloom before long!

(2) Japanese anemones ¹. The common pink one by the Zen patio above is flowering well. I still need to remove a few clumps of this one and I still hate the way that a lot of the leaves get black spots and look very ugly, but it doesn’t seem to affect the flowers in any way. ‘Wild Swan’ is forming a decent clump in the raised bed and is a much shorter variety, I love the blueish-purple back. ‘Pamina’ is a lovely double and deep pink, but this year’s flowers are much smaller than usual though it is also forming a decent clump.

(3) Cyclamen have popped up under the Kilmarnock Willow tree. A lovely complementary colour to the dappled shade bed, though darn difficult to photograph!

(4) Clematis. These two grow down the side of my conservatory and clamber over and through the Jasmine and white roses and my neighbour’s bay tree. I think the purple is Clematis viticella ‘Etoile Violette’, but I didn’t plant it. The pretty white and purple texensis is ‘Princess Kate’ with her lovely nodding bell-shaped blooms. I think they look lovely together and they flower for ages, beginning in July until the end of September.

(5) Scented pelargoniums. I bought a collection of scented pelargoniums from Sarah Raven in 2018. There were four varieties though I seem to have lost ‘Prince of Orange’. This one is ‘Pink Capricorn’ (often labelled ‘Capitatum’) whose rose scented leaves and flowers last for months. I left this one outside last year (I do have some more plants taken as cuttings which came indoors) and after cutting it back in the spring it has flowered continuously throughout the summer.

(6) Zinnias. I never thought I would be able to put these in a SoS post. Twice I have tried to grow them from seed and they just got munched. This year I sowed them inside the conservatory in individual coir pots and left them there until they were several inches tall. I potted them on into a wall trough and kept them on a seat throughout June and July, not really expecting them to flower, but they did! They really should be in a border or at least more of them in a container as they look a bit like soldiers on parade in the trough. Never mind. I have got zinnia flowers and that has to be a plus!

1. Washe Koda says:

Your garden is cool 🙂

2. janesmudgeegarden says:

Well done on the zinnias! They’re such interesting flowers with something to see at all stages of their development. Lots still to see in your autumn garden. I love the anemones, and that’s a very nice photo of them.

I’m not sure I will bother with the Zinnias again, although I do still have some seeds left over.

3. bushboy says:

So good Jude. My scented Pelagoniums have just flowered. Nothing yet from last years Zinnias, hoping some seeds survived. Have a few packets of seeds to get ready. Marigolds were fab last years I have more and hope last years seeds I spead about from the dead flower heads will grow. Lots of insects gather seeds around here 🙂

Do your Zinnias self-seed then? That would be nice. My marigolds seem to, though I dead-head them until the end of September and then let them die off naturally. I am hoping the new seeds I sowed this year will make an appearance next. They are a different colour to the usual orange ones.

1. bushboy says:

The self seeded Zinnias all seem to be pinks but occasionally there’ll be another colour. Most Marigolds are orange

4. Lovely colours as always and interesting photos. The pelargonium is very pretty too.

That particular pelargonium has been flowering its socks off and unlike many scented leaved ones it has quite large flowers. The smell is lovely. I’ll leave it alone over winter then cut it back to a decent shoot in the spring.

5. Tish Farrell says:

What a fine bright gallery, Jude. Zinnias are such show-offs, but great fun. And such a contrast to the sweet and gently growing cyclamen. And now you mention White Swan, I’m thinking mine has completely disappeared, which is a blow. Must go and check.

The pink cyclamen seems very happy under that tree, the white ones have not appeared, but they do get hidden by lots of other plants.

6. Congratulations on the successful zinnias. I’ve took my eye off mine (I got bored of late night slug patrols) and many have been eaten. I hope my Wild Swan JPs do as well as yours. It seems strange to focus on their backs but they are their best feature!

I was determined to try Zinnias again, but tbh I’m done with cosseting plants. There are plenty of beautiful flowers that are much easier to grow.

7. margaret21 says:

Beautiful shots – and quite a few reds too!

Reds? Not sure if this means my computer screen or yours needs callibrating! I’d say plenty of pinks!

8. fredgardener says:

You’re right, it’s hard to photograph cyclamens….I made an attempt to have an item for my Six and the photo was blurry… It will be for later.😂
    Pretty Japanese anemones, mine have only started to bloom since yesterday.

The thing with the cyclamens is that you really have to get down to ground level and it’s not easy to do that where mine are planted (plus it’s not easy for me to get back up again!) 🤣

1. fredgardener says:

Haha… That was not my problem. It was rather to focus on the petals and the wind didn’t help…( and the background isn’t beautiful right now. I will wait a little )

9. Bright and sunny photos this week, yay, that’s a bonus. Full points for perseverance with the Zinnias, I’ve never grown them and am unlikely to as I doubt the slugs would allow them to see the light of day, without much mollycoddling. Your clematis are so pretty, mine are over, including Etoile Violette, but mine is a much deeper purple, yours looks more red. I am struggling to find exactly the right spot for Japanese anemones here, but will keep trying.

It might not be Etoile Violette, but it is a lovely clematis. The first year I was here there was no sign of it as it was hidden under a thug of a jasmine! I am so glad I rescued it.

1. I wonder if it is ‘Niobe’, which has a similar colour. Great rescue in any case (though I love jasmine too!).

You wouldn’t like this Jasminum officinale ‘Clotted Cream’, it is a thug and grows far too much foliage and very few flowers, though that’s probably my fault as I cut it back hard each year. I’d prefer more clematis but I’ll never be able to dig the jasmine out. Far too vigorous for a small garden and especially where it is planted, down the side of the conservatory.

10. Fingers crossed your Amarine gets to flower undisturbed. You managed to capture the cyclamen well and they look lovely. I’m now dreaming of a bed of Anemones and cyclamen flowering together.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: