Walking

The Water Tower which is a holiday let

I’ve been rubbish at walking this year. Lockdown, the weather, the G7 summit, a lack of energy and motivation, too many people, illness, whatever the excuse I have preferred to stay at home and spend time pottering in my garden. But we all know that walking is good for us, so I am determined to get out of the rut and off my butt and get on my feet again. Beginning with a peaceful stroll around a favourite garden.

From entering the garden I took my usual anti-clockwise route around the garden, first passing by the house and stables. These huge Hydrangea paniculata caught my eye immediately. I think one is ‘Vanille fraise’ which starts off pure white and then gradually takes on a raspberry tinge and the other ‘Limelight’ which opens in a soft shade of pea green, and then gradually matures through shades of cream to a delicate soft pink.

Stopping, as usual, by the font of the house with its beautiful colonnades where there is seating for you to pause and admire the views over the Carrick Roads  whose name comes from the Cornish Dowr Carrek, meaning ‘rock anchorage’. It is the world’s third largest natural harbour and joins the English Channel at its southern end near the town of Falmouth.

After enjoying simply relaxing in the sunshine I carried on towards the tennis lawn which is a popular place for picnics due to the views and the shade provided by mature trees. This is after all supposed to be a walk, not a ‘sit and admire the scenery’. Watch out for the ‘ha-ha’ here though or you might find yourself in the grazing fields!

Kniphofia (Red Hot Pokers) on the tennis lawn

Around this top area of the woodland you will find many different Hydrangeas, which look spectacular at this time of year.  They add spectacular colour and charm lightening up the shady spaces.

There are several routes meandering through the woodland, one taking you down to King Harry’s Ferry, the chain ferry across the River Fal onto the Roseland peninsula, or out of the garden onto the woodland walks around the river. But I only wanted a short and easy walk today and so, close to the thatched pavilion called Jack’s Summerhouse (Jack Lilley was the Head Gardener at Trelissick in 1955 when Ida Copeland gifted the garden to the National Trust) where you can sit and enjoy views over the water, I made my way back along one of the higher level pathways.

The estate is situated on its own peninsular, there is water on three sides and from a lovely viewpoint (with yet more  benches) you can get a glimpse over to the Tregothnan estate on the other side of the river. It even has its own Cornish tea plantation!

My final stop off point before exiting the gardens was the main lawn where you find the lovely exotic borders. Here you’ll find a mix of trees, shrubs, herbaceous perennials, evergreens and bulbs in the very deep borders that sweep around the lawn. The focal point of the lawn is the magnificent Japanese red cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) which was planted in 1898 and provides shade and a natural climbing frame for children.

This exotic summer border includes Dahlias – in particular the lovely rich reddish-purple ‘Trelissick Purple’, Ginger lilies, a beautiful dark red Hemerocallis ‘Morocco Red’, bright purple Geranium psilostemon, Canna lilies, Potentilla, Persicaria and Banana plants.

These wide borders are a magnet for bees and butterflies.

Before exiting the garden I just had to take a photo of the very pretty Rosa mutabilis (China rose) which produces single, scented flowers of honey-yellow to orange, ageing to cerise red.

And I will leave you with this very apt sign.

Lens Artists Photo Challenge #163 | Keep Walking

1. Leya says:

I enjoyed every second, Jude – you have such lovely gardens where you live. Your own too of course. But it seems an endless treasure of beautiful gardens to visit in England. Sigh. Wish it were possible to go…Big thank you for taking us! And do keep walking!

Thanks A-C. I must keep up the walking that’s true. Especially whilst the weather is fine and dry.

1. Leya says:

I always feel stressed when the weather is fine, like now, there’s so much I want to do before it gets back to worse…

2. What a lovely walk! The red cedar tree is a lovely shape, and the hydrangeas are beautiful.

Cornwall does hydrangeas well! There are some beauties in this garden.

3. I assumed all those lovely spots were parts of your garden, at first, then I realized you were describing your walk through public parklands. I’ve missed walking, too. Now, after spraining my back in my garden (where else?), I’m having to use a walker, and that only inside. Oh, well, this too shall pass.

I wouldn’t mind having those exotic borders! Ouch about the back! I’m always doing that whilst gardening and it can be awfully painful. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

4. Wind Kisses says:

Beautiful grounds, and to see in the thatched pavilion and watch the day pass by would be wonderful . Lots blooming right now. And what a great gathering spot at maple. Donna

Thanks Donna. It is a lovely garden and always does the trick when life is a little stressful.

Sumptuous is the word, I think, Jude. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. We never managed more than the botanic at Edinburgh, did we? Shocking, really!

And that was five years ago!! Not my fault you jumped ship and went to live in Portugal 😜

Was it really? I need Facebook to remind me what’s happened in my life 😁💕

September 2016 which means it must be my stepdaughter’s 5th wedding anniversary next week. Where has the last 5 years gone!

6. If you’re going to start walking again, this is the place to do it. So much beauty all around you.

Indeed. Must try and ensure we visit at least one garden a week now it is becoming a little quieter.

7. JohnRH says:

Excellent. I love that Japanese red cedar. Beautiful.

Thanks John, it is a magnificent tree. There are some splendid big trees in this garden.

8. Marsha says:

That looks and sounds like my kind of walk – plenty of benches and time to take beautiful pictures.

Plenty of benches with views too! A very peaceful garden.

1. Marsha says:

I’ll be right there!

9. BeckyB says:

Just what I needed this morning – a perfect way to start my Friday

10. Cathy says:

What glorious weather for your walk, Jude, and no doubt helped confirm that you felt all the better making the effort to do it. Such a lot of late summer colour in evidence and that collage towards the end looks wonderful! I had to smile at what is clearly a subtle mistake in the quotation on the watering can…

I did wonder about that watering can! And yes the garden walk was both relaxing and rejuvenating after a rather horrible month.

1. Cathy says:

Sorry it’s been tough for you Jude

2. Cathy says:

And I am always on the lookout for new quotations for the garden, so when I saw the can I read it through thoroughly just to make sure they had got it wrong… 😉

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: