Six on Saturday | Summer’s End

Well it might be the end of summer, but at least we are going out in a blaze of glory. The best weather in weeks! Sadly Cornwall has the highest rate of coronavirus infections in the country (from practically zero at the end of May), though saying that the figures are somewhat skewed as they are based on the normal population of the county and not the larger influx of visitors. Until those visitors go home though I am keeping well away from the hotspots (i.e. beach and towns). I am happy enough to spend a few hours in my own garden as there is plenty to do – yanking out bindweed accounts for much of it – dead-heading, cutting back overgrown perennials, pruning the trees. I still can’t do anything too strenuous which is annoying as the weather has been perfect for doing a bit of digging and this Bee & Butterfly bed (below) definitely needs some attention!

(1) Hylotelephium telephium ‘Xenox Yellow’ is a new plant this year from Sarah Raven. Sedums are fabulous for this time of year, flowering into the autumn months and bee magnets. An unusual colour form with peach-apricot flowers offset by dark plum foliage, this sedum is low-growing. I fancied this one with its different colour and it does look rather good next to a Carex of similar shades.

(2) Sisyrinchium ‘E.K. Balls’ is a sweet little alpine plant with straight thin leaves with purple flowers. I have this growing in my Belfast (Butler?) sink, but I am going to remove it and put it in the new gravelled area. I want to make the sink into a water feature next spring. Hopefully it will do OK in the ground as long as I plant it with lots of grit.

Sisyrinchium

(3) Penstemon. No name as this came from a cutting off a neighbour back in 2015. It’s not a colour I would choose now, being a sort of coral pink, but it is the best flowering of all my penstemons and the bees love to crawl inside those tubular bells. Now almost at the end of its flowering after weeks of providing colour and nectar.

(4) Crinodendron hookerianum tree – this has been featured in spring when the tree drips with interesting bell-shaped pendant flowers like little red lanterns, but this is the first time I have seen so many seed heads on it. I like this photo – they look like a pair of pearl earrings!

(5) White Agapanthus. Yay! Last year a couple of the blue ones flowered and this year I have two white ones, one with slightly larger flowers than the other. Only one spike on each plant, but I am more than happy to see them.

(6) Another sign that autumn is coming is this photo of clematis seed heads – these from Nelly Moser (who incidentally has produced a couple more flowers at the same time).

1. Lisa says:

I think your Bird and Butterfly Bed looks absolutely perfect!

Thanks. It is a bit overgrown. The daylily needs dividing and the phygelius sends runners all over. I need to remove everything and replant some of it.

2. Marsha says:

I love the pearls, Jude. I’m sorry you are under the weather. I haven’t heard the whole story. It sounds like you are improving – I hope. 🙂

Thanks Marsha. A very nasty abscess. 5 weeks now and probably going to be another few weeks before it is fully healed.

1. Marsha says:

I’m so sorry to hear it, Jude. That seems like forever when you are going through it. Did you have to have surgery? An abscess sounds super serious and dangerous.

3. Those ‘earings’ are fabulous. How gorgeous they would be made up in gold and pearls. It’s great to get some nice sunshine (it’s arrived here today hurrah) but a shame you can’t get out and about to enjoy it more. The dark leaved sedum looks great.

4. Hey snap, we had the same title for our SOS posts today, though yours is more upbeat than mine! I feel sorry to see summer end. That’s a striking sedum and I agree is looks great with the Carex, but those pearl earrings steal the show: I remember looking this plant up when you featured it in flower and thought it was lovely then, now it’s even better. I imagine Cornwall is a very popular holiday spot for Brits this year, hope you get it to yourself again – perhaps summer’s end isn’t so bad after all.

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

I have never seen seed heads like those of you Crinodendron hookerianum tree – amazing

Lovely sedum, Jude, and I like the idea of your water feature sink. The weather was distinctly iffy in Leeds, but it’s only weather and I’m assured it had been much worse. Staying healthy is more important, isn’t it?

Healthy would be good! Sorry you didn’t have better weather, it’s not been bad down here, just a shame it’s so busy.

That’s how it is when you live in a beauty spot. We have a similar problem in July-August but I’m not letting it bother me. Same applies to the weather. We had forest fires only a few kilometres from here whilst I was away. Just thankful no-one was hurt.

7. Love the Crinodendron hookerianum tree – so interesting.

8. March Picker says:

Like others, I’m so impressed by the earrings! I haven’t seen anything close to that lovely hylotelephium color here in the states and agree they are such a nice autumn star. The colors in that butterfly bed truly draw the eye. Heal well, Jude!

9. Very pretty, as always in your lovely garden. It must be nice to have such a restful place to retreat to while the tourists are everywhere. I love agapanthus. They make such a pretty display over summer. We have them lining our driveway.

10. I like the Crinodendron seeds. Very interesting. I’ve got two sisyrinchium lemon plants that I got from a local gardener raising money for Marie Curie but they’ve sat all summer in their pots as don’t really know where to put them.

Someone else mentioned the yellow ones, are they alpines?

1. Quite a tall pale yellow flowered plant. Iris family so has similar evergreen leaves. It likes dryer conditions but I can’t quite place it anywhere in the border where I think it will survive and look good with surrounding plants. https://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/shop/Sisyrinchium-striatum-M13227

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: