Six on Saturday | Summer’s End

Well it might be the end of summer, but at least we are going out in a blaze of glory. The best weather in weeks! Sadly Cornwall has the highest rate of coronavirus infections in the country (from practically zero at the end of May), though saying that the figures are somewhat skewed as they are based on the normal population of the county and not the larger influx of visitors. Until those visitors go home though I am keeping well away from the hotspots (i.e. beach and towns). I am happy enough to spend a few hours in my own garden as there is plenty to do – yanking out bindweed accounts for much of it – dead-heading, cutting back overgrown perennials, pruning the trees. I still can’t do anything too strenuous which is annoying as the weather has been perfect for doing a bit of digging and this Bee & Butterfly bed (below) definitely needs some attention!

(1) Hylotelephium telephium ‘Xenox Yellow’ is a new plant this year from Sarah Raven. Sedums are fabulous for this time of year, flowering into the autumn months and bee magnets. An unusual colour form with peach-apricot flowers offset by dark plum foliage, this sedum is low-growing. I fancied this one with its different colour and it does look rather good next to a Carex of similar shades.

(2) Sisyrinchium ‘E.K. Balls’ is a sweet little alpine plant with straight thin leaves with purple flowers. I have this growing in my Belfast (Butler?) sink, but I am going to remove it and put it in the new gravelled area. I want to make the sink into a water feature next spring. Hopefully it will do OK in the ground as long as I plant it with lots of grit.

Sisyrinchium

(3) Penstemon. No name as this came from a cutting off a neighbour back in 2015. It’s not a colour I would choose now, being a sort of coral pink, but it is the best flowering of all my penstemons and the bees love to crawl inside those tubular bells. Now almost at the end of its flowering after weeks of providing colour and nectar.

(4) Crinodendron hookerianum tree – this has been featured in spring when the tree drips with interesting bell-shaped pendant flowers like little red lanterns, but this is the first time I have seen so many seed heads on it. I like this photo – they look like a pair of pearl earrings!

(5) White Agapanthus. Yay! Last year a couple of the blue ones flowered and this year I have two white ones, one with slightly larger flowers than the other. Only one spike on each plant, but I am more than happy to see them.

(6) Another sign that autumn is coming is this photo of clematis seed heads – these from Nelly Moser (who incidentally has produced a couple more flowers at the same time).

1. bushboy says:

I love how we get excited over the same things in the garden. Some things people just walk by, I can always see that hint of something different somehow. White Agapanthus appearing, seed pods or not the colour I would have picked (me neither) nut the bees love it. x

I love the unexpected! Getting quite excited by a bulb that is three or even four years old and has a flower spike! Just praying the slimy assassins don’t find it. 🐌 !!!

1. bushboy says:

I have one King Alfred Daffodil flower from three pots of bulbs. Only some of my old bulbs. I bought some new ones.

My bulb orders are in. Received some new irises today, quite excited about the new ones, but I also have loads of old bulbs to pot up next month. Not heard of King Alfred so I looked it up, I see it is a taller variety. I tend to prefer the rockery, dwarf ones as they are better coping with the windy conditions here. Why didn’t I think about that when we bought this house? Top of a hill and exposed to the south-westerlies. What was I thinking!

2. bushboy says:

Not thinking of gardening that’s for sure

Obviously not! Although it was the garden and the views that attracted us.

2. fredgardener says:

Morning Jude, it’s sad to say but it looks like the end of summer…
    Have you ever tried growing crinodendrons from seeds? I had one here but it didn’t like a too wet winter… I would have to try again… Very pretty Sisyrinchium flowers

I contemplated trying to grow some of the seeds, but then thought what would I do with them if they actually germinated? I might as an experiment – if any survive then I could pass it on to my son.

3. n20gardener says:

Beautiful colours and so glad that you are getting some sunshine. We have been unable to buy crab meat in the supermarkets here for weeks – we guess it is because it is all being consumed by the staycationers flocking to Cornwall so that none is left for transporting elsewhere!! Keep safe from the hordes. The garden looks glorious. The crinodendron hookerianum is a fascinating thing.

I’ll be glad when we can actually go out and enjoy a meal — everywhere is so fully booked! Hopefully from next week it will start to quieten down. I just hope the weather remains fair.

4. margaret21 says:

What a lovely place in which to be under house-arrest. We are in a long running war with bindweed too. I rather think it’s winning …

Sigh… sadly the bindweed comes in from both sides of my garden – the farmyard and my neighbour who doesn’t seem to do any weeding at all!

1. margaret21 says:

Grr. Ours was an ill-advised topsoil purchase.

I’m glad you have got some summer. We didn’t have any at all, and are hoping for an Indian Summer for our short holiday on the 4th. It is 16C and gloomy here today. Dark enough at 11am to have lights on in the house. 😦

Yes, I think for a change the west is getting the better weather this week. It’s cloudier today, but still pleasant though with a distinct autumnal coolness. We often have to have lights on in our house as the middle bit hasn’t got any windows.

6. So much variety of flowers 👌🏼🌹 🙏🏼lovely photography 🙏🏼

7. janesmudgeegarden says:

I researched your hylotelepheium…..it has some interesting names such as frogs stomach and harping Johnny! It also has an interesting flower, quite different from Autumn Joy, which abounds in my garden. Penstemons are wonderful, undemanding plants. I have the pink one too, but this year I grew a Rocky Mountain penstemon from seed ( it must be easy to grow fro me to have seed success) and I’m keen to see it flower because it’s supposed to be a very beautiful blue.

Penstmons are lovely I agree. My ‘Sour Grapes’ struggles to flower, though I think it is too crowded where it is so I may try moving it. ‘Red Garnet’ is better, but still nothing like this coral one. I shall look up the Rocky Mountain as I love blue flowers.

8. You have some unusual plants, plus some healthy not so unusual ones. Yes, autumn creeps nearer too quickly.

I’d have liked more unusual plants, but quickly realised that this is not a sheltered garden! So, my expectations were lowered.

9. Lots of lovely colour. Those seed heads of the Crinodendron hookerianum are very striking. Your agapanthus have done much better than my solitary plant. It’s just had one flower spike with about 4 or 5 flowers on it. I was going to include it today and completely forgot!

I have had to be patient with the aggies. I bought a collection of bare roots 3 or 4 years ago. A couple of blue ones flowered last year, all but two plants flowered this. A couple of pale blue, the two whites and several deeper blue. And my Silver Moon variegated one which hasn’t flowed in 4 years! When I see the huge clumps of agapanthus growing here in Cormwall I have to wonder how big these will get, though currently they are all, bar SM, in pots.

10. Ann Mackay says:

The little blue Sisyrinchium is beautiful. I used to have it in Scotland and I really want to grow it here, now that I have somewhere for it… 🙂 We have the larger yellow Sisyrinchium, which seeds itself around. It would be great if the blue did too!

I’m not sure how well it will do in the ground as it is in very gritty compost in the sink, and my soil is quite heavy loam and stony. I’ll add lots of grit and hope for the best!