Six on Saturday | Sizzling hot

Sadly the title does not refer to the weather which has been rather cool and damp recently, though fairly sunny and breezy during the day.

I’m still not able to spend much time in the garden other than pottering around and dead-heading plants. There will be a lot to do once I am fully recovered. This week I thought I’d have a look to see what orange flowers I have. And whether I should add more for the late summer season.

(1) First up are the Crocosmia or Montbretia from South Africa. Known for their erect sword-like leaves and wands of fiery orange, yellow and red flowers that last for several weeks mine are the bog-standard ones that grow like weeds in the lanes of Cornwall. They do fare better than the taller cultivar ‘Lucifer’ which I also grow and which always end up flattened. No matter how many times I pull the corms out there are always some left behind.

(2) In the raised bed is one Red Hot Poker KniphofiaΒ  ‘Alcazar’. I really didn’t know where to plant this, but now I shall move it to the newly gravelled area in the autumn as I have already planted another variety there. I don’t even like these plants very much as they die very untidily so goodness knows why I have bought two!

(3) A repeat at #3 is Helenium ‘Moerheim Beauty’, but it is one of the most fiery flowers at the moment and I did manage to capture one with a visitor.

(4) In the herb bed are these Calendula / Marigolds. I sowed seed last year, but this year they have flowered well. I also sowed some seed this year of a different colour, but no sign of those yet. And it appears my lovely ‘Indian Prince’ has failed to return. Now that is a nice marigold. These tend to grow too tall and flop and they also have powdery mildew.

(5) Also in the herb bed are the Nasturtiums that return year after year. I once sowed some dark red ones, but it’s the orange and yellow ones that self-seed the best. I pull loads of seedlings out, but they do add colour to the bed at this time of year and of course you can eat the flowers and leaves I think. Slightly peppery. And of course they are great for the cabbage white butterflies to lay their eggs on.

(6) Finally these little BidensBlazing Fire’ flowers bought as large plug plants that were delivered in early May along with Bidens ‘Double Sun Drop’. They were planted in my verdigris-coloured metal container and I was hoping for a mass of vibrant colour. Not happened. The large plugs were small in my opinion and they refused to grow, in fact none of the online bedding plants have been any good this year. I shall use a local nursery next year so I can see what I am buying.

I caught some more naughty sheep in my ‘wild garden’ on Wednesday (see header photo). Out in the garden I heard a very loud baa-aaaing sound so went to investigate and sure enough 5 rascals were nibbling the plants in the borders! The gate to the farmyard was closed so they must have managed to scramble over the Cornish hedge opposite me. As with the cow last week (did I mention the cow?) I managed to herd them back into the yard. Just call me the “Animal Whisperer”!Β  πŸ˜‚

1. BeckyB says:

Well you do encourage us all to peek over garden walls, guess the cows and the sheep just thought they’d do the same πŸπŸ„πŸ‘

Look, but don’t take. Or in this case, eat!

1. BeckyB says:

It’s not me you have to convince!!!

2. Ann Mackay says:

LOL! That reminds me of the frequent sheep break-ins of my childhood. And they seem to love eating whatever you want to keep then out of! I hope you managed to get them out before they ate many of your plants! I love your brilliant hot colours – they bring a lot of life and energy with them! πŸ™‚

Fortunately in this part of the garden I only have what has been grown from cuttings or a pack of wildflower seeds, so nothing expensive or important.

2. Ann Mackay says:

But frustrating all the same, I’m sure!

2. A very fiery six. I’ve just claimed some crocosmia that have spilled out of a neighbouring garden. They are shrivelling down a bit but I’m sure they’ll return alright next year.

I think it’s impossible to eliminate the corms once you have them. Hope yours is well behaved.

1. I figure they are a good one for work where they can spread over lots of space. I think they are listed as good for bees.

I shall go and look. 🐝

3. margaret21 says:

I do love the sizzling colours of high summer, especially when the weather is disobliging. Obviously your local stock thinks the same. I wonder if it will become a regular thing? I love a bit of nasturtium in a salad by the way. Just like those sheep, apparently.

Let’s hope they don’t get a tummy ache!

4. So beautiful garden flowers πŸ‘ŒπŸΌπŸŒΉ glad to see varieties red colour Flowers πŸ‘πŸΌπŸŒΉπŸ™

The red poppies are still flowering!

1. So awesome πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŒ·thank you for sharing πŸ™πŸŒ·

5. fredgardener says:

If fire had been the theme, you were perfect! Very beautiful orange red colours on the whole of your Six, with a choice of very interesting flowers.

Thanks Fred. I wish there were more of some of them.

6. pommepal says:

Orange, along with yellow, are my favourite colours in the garden, well in anything really, so vibrant, eye catching and happy. You have a great selection here you have shown us. Hope you are feeling much better now Jude.

The hot colours do seem very tropical. And add a nice contrast to the blues and purples I have. Need to do a lot of clearing and dividing in the autumn though. It’s getting overgrown in places.

I don’t remember you mentioning the cow. Those sheep wouldn’t have come into my garden, as Ollie would have chased them back out immediately. πŸ™‚

The cow/bullock was also in my car park. Again I was in the garden and heard a loud mooo, thought that sounds close. I’ve seen how the farmer does it, shout and wave your arms! The animal obligingly returned to the farmyard and I fastened the gate! One day it will be a bull and no way will I approach that.

8. bushboy says:

I am not a fan of Red Hot Pokers either. I hope my Marigolds will pop up again this year after such a great flowering. My problem is the Wallabies and Possums who no how much whispering I try they just do as they please. Most times wait for me to go to bed before sampling the plants in my garden πŸ™‚

I’m hugely surprised that the rabbits haven’t stripped this section bare. Fortunately, no wallabies πŸ˜‚

1. bushboy says:

and I have no rabbits. A Lemon Grass border will deter rabbits

9. those sheep are evidently drawn to your hot six Jude – a reminder that this isdefinitely the palette for this time of year and in to Autumn. Personally I prefer yellow nasturtiums and dislike red hot pokers though there’s no denying their wow factor

Yes, goodness knows why I bought the red hot pokers! There are some attractive nasturtiums and one day I will plant some!

10. Toonsarah says:

I love the vivid colours – montbretia is a particular favourite of mine, perhaps because my mother grew it in our childhood garden πŸ™‚

I need to reorganise these flowers though as they are dotted around the garden. The montbretia just seems to appear wherever it fancies!