Six on Saturday | August Arrives

It’s easy to tell when August arrives in Cornwall – not just from the amount of cars on the roads and people on the beaches and in the villages – but the lanes and roadsides are a riot of colour from the orange Montbretia, blue Agapanthus, purple Butterfly bushes (Buddleja), tall white and purple Bear’s Breeches (Acanthus mollis), and of course the ubiquitous hydrangeas.

This week’s post is brief as I have been under the weather for a fortnight and getting out into the garden has been a struggle, not to mention using a computer. Luckily last week’s post had already been scheduled.

(1) Phlox paniculata ‘Twinkle Purple’

This is in the Bee and Butterfly bed along with #3 and this year is complemented by lots of the lovely blackcurrant coloured Allium drumsticks (Allium sphaerocephalon). I’m thinking of planting some of these in my new gravel garden.

(2) Tulbaghia violacea / Society Garlic has a mild garlic smell and can be used in cooking. Above upright clusters of narrow strap-shaped leaves stand bare stems carrying allium-like heads of soft lilac-mauve, fragrant, flowers throughout summer until autumn. Native to South Africa this can be used as a lovely edging to a border and in fact looks like a mini agapanthus.

(3) Lythrum salicaria ‘Blush’ is a tall plant with slender tapering spikes with small soft pink flowers. It is very attractive to butterflies and bees and likes moisture. I have several of these around the garden and they take up very little room.

(4) Eryngium. I thought I had removed this plant a couple of years ago, but obviously some of the root remained. This year it is a mass of ‘flowers’ and doesn’t seem to be quite as stinky as previously. I have even seen bees on it this year and the keen-eyed amongst you may spot one.

(5) Agapanthus. I bought a batch of bare-root agapanthus back in 2017 and basically shoved them into a few containers, this year as they had grown substantially I split them and planted them individually into pots. And several have sent up flower spikes in deep blue, pale blue and I think a white one is about to open. I was also excited to see my beautiful Agapanthus ‘Silver Moon’ with variegated leaves send up two spikes this year after four years of no flowers at all.

(6) Olearia hastii is an evergreen shrub smothered with clusters of white, daisy-like flowers with yellow centres. A tough hedging plant which is one of the few flowering species suitable for coastal positions and very windy sites, all it needs is sun and in August it comes into full flower.

This is planted next to my large flat rock and where I have my succulents this year. Aeonium Zwartkop looks quite lovely as a contrast to the green and white. I was a bit worried about this one as when I put it out the flower heads were very flat, but now they have opened  into the normal glossy purple-black rosettes.

1. pommepal says:

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling too well jude, hope you make a quick recovery. These beautiful colours would cheer you up, they certainly made me smile

2. Hope you feel better soon. You have posted some beautiful pictures of plants.

Thanks GG. Much better than I was a week ago!

3. Sandra says:

Sorry to hear you’re under the weather, Jude. And the weather isn’t doing too well either! Beautiful flowers though. Get well soon ☺️

It’s not too bad here – heavy rain in the night, but sun out since mid morning though extremely blustery! Thanks for your wishes, getting there slowly.

4. Sorry to hear you are not well – hope you feel better soon x

Thanks Anabel, much better than I was a week ago. Hopefully back to normal soon.

5. Sorry you’ve been under the weather, Jude. I did spy the bee, right smack dab in the middle of the purple Eryngium, and another one burrowing into a tubular agapanthus blossom.

Thank you! I was trying to get a clean shot of the bee in the agapanthus, but it was very quick!

6. bushboy says:

As always loving your garden and beautiful flowers. Hope you are on the mend. Hugs from here 🤗❤

Thanks Brian, feeling much better than last week, but still a way to go. Trying to do a bit of work in the garden each day again, but can’t manage the weeds yet.

1. bushboy says:

Weeds can wait. Just give them a good talking to

7. Oh dear, Jude! Sending lots of hugs and hope you feel better soon. 🤗 I have just read about Lythrum in another blogger’s Six. I don’t know them at all, but they are very pretty, so I will look online and see if I can buy any. Your sea of Eryngium is just lovely…..yet another plant I would like to try and grow. Love the Aggies too. Hope you’re on the mend!

If I was to plant Eryngium again it would be Miss Willmott’s Ghost (Eryngium giganteum) which is silver and doesn’t have the stinky smell that some blues have. Thanks for the hugs!

1. 😳 stinky smell?! I had no idea them had a smell. Thanks for the recommendation Jude. More 🤗 for you!

Like smelly feet, or worse!

8. Beautiful vibrant colours Jude. A reason to celebrate August…

9. Cathy says:

Sorry you have been under the weather, Jude, and hope things are beginning to improve for you. I am intrigued by the tulbaghia which I have growing in a pot in the Coop and didn’t know about its other name…must smell the leaves when I next go into the Coop! What a pretty lythrum this is and I could almost envy your rainfall to have it establish successfully here… 😉

10. So many beautiful summer colours – I hope the garden views are helping you feel better. I have a huge patch of society garlic and use the leaves often in cooking.