Six on Saturday | Herb Bed

Time for another look at the raised herb bed at the back of the garden. Things seem to have got a bit out of hand this year after a very slow start and there will be some serious culling after they have finished flowering.

(1) Not all the plants in this bed are actual herbs. Calendula and Nasturtiums are grown here too as they can be used in salads, plus the nasturtium keeps cabbage white butterflies from laying their eggs on my kale. When I bother to grow it that is!

(2) Golden Feverfew with attractive, lobed, golden foliage has pretty daisy flowers which continue throughout the summer months.

(3) I have three types of sage (four if you include Pineapple sage, but that is tender and comes indoors over winter) the ones I grow in the herb bed are Salvia officinalis/common sage and Salvia officinalis ‘Purpurascens’/purple sage and Salvia officinalis tricolour although that one seems to have disappeared. I hardly ever pick sage to use in cooking, but I should! I just love the texture of sage leaves.

(4)  Borage. The young leaves and vivid blue flowers of this annual herb have a fresh cucumber-like flavour, so are often used in salads, soups, chilled drinks or simply as a garnish. The flowers attract bees and other beneficial insects. It self-seeds dreadfully so once you have sown it you will never be without. It is a very decorative plant, but in  my garden it grows huge and the thick stems collapse in the wind and rain, also it tends to crowd out other plants, so I often cut it down after a while.

(5) Mint. Again I have several types of mint, all grown in the hexagonal pots next to the raised beds. Moroccan Mint, Spearmint, Apple mint, and one I thought I had lost, Ginger mint. Best to keep mints in pots so they don’t sprawl and in separate pots so the flavours don’t combine. Now this is one herb I do use a lot of during the summer.

Moroccan Mint
Ginger Mint

(6) I also have several types of thyme growing in the hexagonal pots. Golden Queen and Silver Queen – Thymus x citriodorusThymus serpyllum ‘Snowdrift’ also called creeping thyme and Thymus, herba barona / Caraway thyme. But in the bed itself is Common thyme – Thymus vulgaris compactus, and Jekka Thyme which is fast spreading and evergreen. I shall be transplanting some of those in the pots into the gravel garden to soften the edges.

Golden thyme

Garlic chives, Rosemary, Oregano, Hyssop, Society Garlic (Tulbaghia), Lemon Verbena and Sweet Cicely, as well as the Golden Marjoram which had her time in the spotlight last week, also grow here plus a few non herbs which may have to find a new home!

Enjoy the sunny weekend we are forecast, yes, even in Cornwall! Naturally I will be staying close to home and hope to finish my gravel garden if it’s not too hot. I won’t be complaining though and I might even get to sit on the patio with a nice G&T for a change!

1. I do like growing herbs although I don’t use a massive amount in cooking apart from sage, parsley, mint, chives…….hmmmm, maybe I use more than I thought. I must try growing borage, it’s such a lovely colour.

Beware. Borage self seeds as much as forget me nots and it’s not a small plant. Great for attracting bees into the garden though. I forgot about the parsley, there is some in the bed too! What do you use sage in?

1. I make sage and onion stuffing with a roast chicken – very easy with a food processor – and I put a few leaves in a braised pork recipe we have every so often. I buy parsley in a flowerpot from the supermarket then split it and put it in the herb garden, usually very successfully. I have little or no success germinating the seeds.

I do the same with parsley and Coriander. My parsley self seeds, but I haven’t been able to germinate any myself, despite using the same seeds!

2. You have a good collection of herbs there. I often find myself rubbing their foliage and enjoying the various aromas. The Golden Feverfew is very pretty indeed. I sowed some Borage and I think there’s one plant about to flower. I will keep an eye on it though after reading this! I may also sample some of its leaves.

Borage leaves are prickly. I only use the flowers in ice cubes to pretty up drinks or in a salad. Quite a cucumber flavour.

3. bushboy says:

Wonderful herb gardens Jude. Some grow like the dickens here so I tend not to grow them. 🙂 🙂

You could keep some on containers.

1. bushboy says:

That I do Jude but some just seem to prefer the garden bed more than pots. The mint grows wild but gets a mow to keep it in check. Others I keep in pots in the sunroom so it is convenient for cooking (lazy I know)
        One day I shall post my little garden. I have just harvested a few Spring Onions that should have been pulled months ago

I’d love to see photos of your garden Brian. 💕

2. bushboy says:

One day Jude the little fenced garden will get a run 🙂

4. Toonsarah says:

What a lovely herb garden with so many different plants! I’m tempted to try borage, despite what you say about it spreading – I love plants that attract the bees and the flowers would look so pretty in our salads 🙂

As long as you are prepared to weed out the seedlings! I remove all but a couple of plants each year. Good for getting bee photos.

1. Toonsarah says:

And I do love a good bee photo opp!

🐝🐝🐝

5. margaret21 says:

I do love a good raised bed. And one with herbs? What could be better?

Unfortunately my raised beds are starting to wear out, the wood is deteriorating. I may have to get a garden company in to recreate them and actually I would like them to be much deeper.

1. margaret21 says:

Oh well, with every problems there comes an opportunity … to spend money 😦

Mmm… not to mention needing a new shed.

6. Herbs are among my favourite plants, so this post was a treat. I have taken lots of sage cuttings and use it a lot in tea, black tea I mean, I really love the flavour and it’s supposed to be very beneficial. Do you deadhead your feverfew? I was weeding around mine today and just wondering if I should, to encourage more flowers. Borage actually self-seeds quite lightly in my garden, maybe because like you I cut the plants back when they get big and flop over everything else. Wouldn’t be without it, such beautiful flowers.

I never deadhead the feverfew, it just seems to carry on flowering. I should try a sage infusion.

7. fredgardener says:

This choice of herbs is perfect: it’s exactly the type of plants that everyone should have in their garden. 😀👍🏻

Thanks Fred, I also like the fact that the S&S leave most herbs alone! The main problem is rust on the mints.

8. Borage used to come up everywhere in a garden I used to work in. Much as I loved it I, thankfully, resisted planting it in my own garden.

I sowed some seeds in 2016 – haven’t had to sow any since! I do like it for the bees though, but you have to be ruthless.

9. Ann Mackay says:

We have borage for the bees here too, but as you say, it does get everywhere! So I’m hoping to confine it to a wild-ish are at the back of the garden where it can get as big and rampant as it likes. There haven’t been so many this year because it’s been so dry that some of the plant have had mildew and I’ve pulled them out.

I had the mildew problem last year, and I also allowed it to grow in the ‘wild garden’ (car park) but funnily enough it failed to set seed there. Obviously prefers my garden soil. 😂

1. Ann Mackay says:

That’s plants for you, LOL!

10. What a lovely selection of herbs! I love the golden feverfew is lovely. I must try growing some. I like borage, and I’m happy for it to keep coming up in my garden borders. I really should try harder to grow a larger variety of herbs, but they would have to be in pots. What parts of calendula do you use in salads?

There is actually common feverfew growing in the lane outside my garden, it pops up now and then! You use calendula petals to scatter over a salad, just adds colour. Must confess, I rarely do!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: