Six on Saturday | July Jewels

I don’t feel like I have done anything in the garden this week except for endless weeding. How DO you get rid of bindweed? I have got more pebbles and cobbles and finally found the energy to finish removing the turf yesterday. I’ll leave it a few days to settle and then get the plants in that I have saved for this patch and then mulch with the pebbles. I also received some new Sempervivums and managed to pot them up.

Aliens…

(1) New Sempervivums (with friends) in the large round bowl. It will be a year or two before they fill out.

(2) New Osteospermums – I bought a couple of yellow ones for this summer’s patio pots and they are very cheerful. I don’t think they will survive the winter outdoors so I might bring them into the conservatory.

(3) Old Osteospermums
My old white and pale pink ones are going strong and wandering all over the garden. These have blue ‘eyes’ which tend to be the most hardy and stay outdoors all year round. They are planted in a stone wall so don’t have much in the way of soil.

(4) More daisy-like flowers – Erigeron glaucus ‘Sea Breeze’ is in full flower this month. It has spread across the same wall as #3 and into the gravel and I have cuttings in my Cornish hedge. In fact I have cuttings in the Bee & Butterfly bed that need to come out and be planted elsewhere as they are taking over!

(5) Erigeron karvinskianus, the Mexican fleabane, is a species of daisy-like flowering plant native to Mexico and parts of Central America. Other names include Latin American fleabane, Santa Barbara daisy, Spanish daisy, Karwinsky’s fleabane, or bony-tip fleabane. I tried growing this from seeds when I first moved here as I thought it would look lovely on the stone wall, but I wasn’t successful. Eventually I bought five seedlings from Sarah Raven. Be careful what you wish for. Once it decided it likes a location it really takes off! And clambers over any other plants in the vicinity. I am now trying to get some growing in the car-park (wild garden) on the little stone wall I have on one side. I don’t mind it it goes mad there!

(6) Help Required! Daylily Problem. I have two kinds of daylilies in my Bee & Butterfly bed. Both need splitting, but will have to wait until the autumn now. One is a pale apricot-yellow with a maroon eye which took a few years to settle, but last year was flowering throughout the summer

the other is a nice dark carmine-purple with a lime-yellow centre which only started flowering last year (Hemerocallis ‘Silent Sentry’). This is the one with the problems.

I have read about the Hemerocallis gall midge which is a tiny fly that lays eggs on the developing flower buds of day lilies. The feeding activities of the larvae inside the buds cause abnormal bud development and these buds fail to open. My flowers open, so I don’t think this is the issue, but have obviously been eaten by something inside the bud. I have not found any aphids or slugs on them. Possibly earwigs? But I haven’t seen them on the flowers either, though I do have them in the garden.

My final question to all you gardeners is about plug plants. I have bought several ‘super plugs’ this year, but have found them to be very small and needing to be potted on which I was hoping to avoid. And my tomatoes in peat-free compost are barely growing!  Have I just got a disappointing lot (from different online nurseries) or are the plants being sent out getting smaller? What’s your opinion?

In future I shall rely on the summer bedding provided by a local nursery or garden centre so I can see what I am buying. I am not saving money buying the plugs that’s for sure.

1. Chloris says:

Bindweed seems to be one of those weeds that you never get rid of. You have a lovely selection of succulents and I love your erigerons. I have noticed there is a great difference to the way things grow in different brands of compost.

I must say that the peat-free compost I have seems to have a few weed seeds in it. And the tomato plants are struggling.

2. The Erigeron glaucus ‘Sea Breeze’ is rather lovely indeed and I’m going to have to look out for some white Osteospermums. We took a seedling of Erigeron karvinskianus from the house we rented nearly 10 years ago and planted in this garden. It’s all over the place now, including the driveway (and the neighbours’ side too!)

The karvinskianus is a promiscuous plant, I’d prefer it to grow in the cracks in my paving than the common daisies, but so far it seems intent on taking over the entire wall in the sunny area!

3. Murtagh's Meadow says:

The yellow Osteospermums are lovely. And you have so much colour. Yes I think bindweed is very hard to get rid of.

I’ll never get rid of bindweed, next door is a farmyard full of weeds!

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

☹️

4. Suzanne says:

Jude, you have been industrious! My favourite would be the Osteospermum ‘Sunshine Beauty’. Definitely a ray of sunshine.

It really is and is bulking out nicely too, unlike many of the other so-called ‘super plugs’

5. Cathy says:

Bindweed seems to come in from under a neighbour’s fence – it’s hard to do anything with it when all the herbaceous plants are in full growth so I leave it till they have begun to die down and then try and tease out what I can. At least it’s just in one spot. I have found compost to be very variable this year and it has reminded me again just how much difference a compost makes and how it’s not worth trying to economise over something as basic and necessary. Your various pots of sempervivum and the like look great

Have you got a peat-free compost you can recommend? I’m using Melcourt Sylvagrow Multipurpose, but my tomatoes aren’t doing at all well. Not sure if it is the compost or the lack of sun! (They are indoors).

1. Cathy says:

I haven’t used a completely peat free compost this year but Which? Gardening have established that Sylvagrow with added JI and Westland peat free are the best of those they tested for this year, both scoring 67%. I tend to use their recommendations if they are locally available, which they weren’t this year, but intend to make the effort to seek out a recommended one next year. How big are the pots yours are in? Mine were really slow to get going this year and are still waiting for me to oust the early flowering sweet peas so I can plant them in the greenhouse border, but at least they are putting on more growth now, despite the small pots

6. Ann Mackay says:

I’m afraid I laughed when I read what you said about Erigeron karvinskianus! That’s because it’s running amok here too. At least it’s pretty, so it isn’t hard to forgive. Let me know if you ever find out how to get rid of bindweed – I’d love to know!

The Erigeron is very pretty but a bit too vigorous! I shall have to do some relocating once we get a dry day.

1. Ann Mackay says:

Same here – so it will be used to fill some awkward spaces. 🙂

7. Earwigs are VERY plentiful this year – they seem to like Zinnias and Dahlias, in particular, but I have to be careful even when pulling lettuce leaves Ugh! Double Ugh for bindweed!!

I only grew a couple of dahlias once and was horrified by the number of earwigs that destroyed all the flowers (and my clematis) so I won’t grow them again! I have seen some young earwigs under pots, but not on any of the flowers. Yet.

8. Weeds – grrr. They are so hardy and prolific. For me it’s clover, which just continues to appear no matter how often I pull it out. I do love erigeron though, it does spread but it looks so pretty.

Bees love clover so that’s not a bad thing to have growing. It’s just the bindweed strangles all the plants it clambers up which is the main problem.

1. Our clover just goes everywhere and takes over. No flowers and lots of leaves.

Oh, no, you need the flowers.

9. I bought some ‘jumbo’ plugs and couldn’t believe how small they were. I certainly couldn’t plant them out, I’d never have seen them again! I’ve also had compost problems. One batch I bought was very woody with bits of plastic in it. Plant growth was virtually non existent, apart from all of the toadstools that appeared! I ended knocking the seedlings out of the pots, removing the compost and then repotting in a different brand of compost. Costly in time and money.
    I stopped growing Daylillies a few years ago because of Gall Midge. I’m hoping to try again soon.

The compost I bought seemed OK, but there are lots of seedlings popping up! Weeds I suppose. And it does feel very much like a finely sieved bark. Maybe I need to add some John Innes to the mix. I doubt I will get any tomatoes this year.

10. I had the very same problem with the Mexican Fleebane! I couldn’t wait to have a plant. It went rampant and smothered all the nearby plants, so I removed it! You have a lovely selection of daisy flowers there!

Yes, some of the fleabane needs removing. I’ll try and relocate some of it.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: