Six on Saturday | Summer Roses

Elsewhere in the UK people have been enjoying a heatwave this week. We Cornish folk are happy just to see the sun! At least all the bigwigs have left taking their gas-guzzling blacked-out SUVs with them, the helicopters, the jets and the hundreds of police vehicles. The carbon footprint of this event must have exceeded everything put together over the past ten years for this part of Cornwall ! We hunkered down in our garden for the duration, other than climbing ‘our’ hill last Saturday evening to watch the Red Arrows perform over Carbis Bay. The hill was invaded! I have never seen so many people up there in my entire five years of living here.

Back to the garden. Last week was Geraniums, this week the turn of the roses. Roses are not so common in Cornwall because all the damp, mizzly weather encourages blackspot, but nonetheless I do have six roses. Two fairly recent David Austin English roses, one patio rose that my daughter bought me for mother’s day years ago and Gertrude Jekyll that I had in a container before I moved, and two climbers that I have inherited.

(1) Rose ‘Fighting Temeraire’ is a David Austin shrub rose bearing masses of very large, single flowers. They are a rich apricot colour, with an area of yellow behind the stamens. The fragrance is fruity with a strong element of lemon zest.  I love how the colours change throughout their short-lived lives. Darker shades fade to pale lemons and apricots. The large open flowers are ideal for attracting bees. I just love these sunset colours.

(2) ‘Graham Thomas’. A rose bought a couple of years ago, but moved last year along with #1. It didn’t do very much last year, in fact I don’t think I got more than a couple of flowers off it. It is much happier this year though and the flowers are beautiful. Yellow/red buds followed by sunny yellow flowers that fade to pale lemon.

(3) ‘Gertrude Jekyll’. I love GJ’s work in gardens and so it was inevitable that if I was to buy a rose it would be this one. Not only is it a delicious pink colour, it is also fragrant. Again released from its container I am trying to train this as a climber too. So far so good and lots of flowers this year. It shares the fence with the white Montana clematis which has just gone over. I’m thinking about planting another summer flowering white clematis here. Any suggestions?

(4) Unknown white climber. There are two of these in the garden. Both were quite feeble when we moved in, producing one or two flowers at the very top. I was brave and cut one of them right down a couple of years ago and have been trying to tie in the resulting growth horizontally in order to create more flower stems. It seems to have worked. The other one got a minor cut back last autumn and again I have tried tying in the new growth. I’m quite happy with the result and the roses seem happier too!

(5) Red Patio rose. I think this was four tiny stems in a pot given to me by my daughter for Mother’s Day probably ten years ago? I put the pot outside and one stem carried on growing. When we moved here I repotted the rose and it has done quite well. Probably needs repotting again this year. The flowers themselves form quite tight balls and are very difficult to photograph. They also get damaged by rain.

(6) Unknown pink climber on the north facing courtyard wall. I have cut this back, a lot, over the past couple of years as it was full of dead branches and the flowers were all at the top. It’s still not looking great so maybe I’ll turn to drastic measures and cut it back to the base.

After much thought about the lawn I have been busy removing another section of it. This area will be turned into a border and not covered with weed membrane, but it will be mulched with pebbles. So far turf has been dug up, but I am letting it all settle for a few days before planting. We’ll take a look at it next week.

1. Mary Jo Malo says:

Oh, these are all gorgeous, and the story of your acquisitions and techniques is fun to read. I have gardens vicariously through blogs like yours. 🙂

Thanks for visiting me Mary Jo, glad you enjoyed the roses.

2. roberta4949 says:

beautiful despite some black spot, the best roses for your dampness are the rugosa and their hybrids I have many different kinds (called explore and knockouts) of every variety and seldom do they get blackspot, I have a new dawn that does well tho is has had some dieback due to a very cold winter a few years ago, my rambler is doing well (we tend to the dampness too)it is called ghilane degoode? dont remember how to spell it. alot of hybrids are from roses of warmer drier climes, that are designed for dry hot conditions, rugosas and some kordes and floribundas are designed more to our kind of weather. I glad you got more peace after the crazies have left.

Thanks for the info Roberta. These roses are supposed to be disease resistant! And yes, the wilder species ones would be better and I may well buy some for the top of my Cornish hedge eventually. Sounds like you have a lot of roses!

3. Beautiful roses, but I really love that rose ‘Fighting Temeraire.’ I don’t know if I’ve seen a rose with colors like that.

4. Ann Mackay says:

Your roses are gorgeous, especially Gertrude Jekyll. Sadly, I’m not very good with roses!

5. Absolutely fabulous. It’s nice how you’ve photographed the changes in colour and shape of Fighting Temeraire, it’s interesting how much they change and I also love those colour tones. Looking forward to seeing how your former lawn develops, it’s hard work but also quite exciting to dig up the turf!

Half of the turf removal has been done and planted, but yes, it is hard work! But rewarding. Can’t wait to finish it off, but now need another visit to the nursery for more aggregate!

I don’t think I’ve seen that first one, Jude. Lovely colours! but then, I’m a rose girl too 🙂 🙂

7. A beautiful selection of roses. I miss my Graham Thomas rose that died a few years ago – I’m very tempted to get another one after seeing yours. I’m glad peace and quiet has been restored to Cornwall.

Well I wouldn’t quite say peace and quiet as there are a ton of tourists, but at least we are allowed to move around! Graham Thomas is a lovely rose, I think I shall buy an obelisk for him to climb up.

8. They’re all quite lovely. I find roses really do respond to a good trim every couple of years.

9. Joyce says:

Your roses are GORGEOUS! So, so pretty! I love seeing them–thanks for posting! And congratulations that all the bigwigs are gone 😉

10. Cathy says:

Thanks for sharing your roses, Jude – it’s always interesting to read about the roses other people are growing. I would highly recommend Prince George as a white clematis – very prolific crinkled blooms on a vigorous plant

My roses don’t compare to yours but they are young so hopefully over time they’ll bulk up. I shall look up Prince George, I have his grandfather and mother! 😂

1. Cathy says:

I have added a lot (and I mean a lot!) of roses in the last 3 years or so, and I do find the potted roses from DA seem to establish quicker than the bare root ones. Strawberry Hill came in September 2018 and really has excelled this year. Rural England is about 10 years old and the two plants were bought to clothe the archway that runs along the side of the sitooterie – although I didn’t consider the shadiness there and they didn’t do a lot until last year, when they must have reached into the apple trees and then just romped in the light. I hadn’t even considered that they might climb into the trees, and still find their current success astounding! Certainly the roses in the shadier parts of the garden don’t do as well (I think it’s something like a minimum of 4 hours of sunlight a day they need), but generally they all improve with age

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: