hey human

Many of you may have heard about the G7 summit which is taking place in my little corner of Cornwall. Where the streets have been turned into a no-go area and residents live behind a curtain of steel. But you may not have heard anything about the music recorded through a collaboration with groups of schools, some working together for the first time via online links, sharing their voices and vision for future generations and for the world’s leaders to hear.

The 7 Songs for G7 collection consists of seven unique, diverse songs, all home-grown, composed by Cornish composers from the age of 15 through to well-known Cornish songwriters and composers.

Children from Marazion School near Penzance and Stoke Climsland School near Callington have released a version of Hey Human, a song written by Cornwall-based songwriter Tanya Brittain.

The single is one of the 7 Songs for G7, a project developed by Cornwall Council’s Education Music Hub and delivered by the Cornwall County Choirs.

Angela Renshaw, Cornwall Music Education Hub’s Vocal Strategy Lead, said: “Giving their voices to Cornwall’s wildlife, the children hope that the world’s prime ministers and presidents will listen to the song, consider the lyrics, stop beating about the bush and help to save the planet.”

Source: Cornwall Council

I hope you will take time to listen to this song and find it as moving as I did.

1. Ju-Lyn says:

Stunning cinematography – and the message So poignant, and so heart-wrenching.

Thanks Ju-Lyn, I thought so too.

2. margaret21 says:

Your adopted county is great on music. Cornwall for Europe had a fine collection of anti-Brexit songs. Just off to listen to your video now.

There are some good artists down here.

3. Hello! This is my post for tonight! Tomorrow I hope will be more G7 music from Truro Cathedral. 🙂

4. bushboy says:

Excellent song 🙂

I thought so and lovely video.

5. margaret21 says:

Fabulous video with a great message.

Yes, most poignant. Brings a lump to the throat.

That’s an important message, and well-illustrated in the accompanying video. I can’t wait to see the cringy film of the G7 bunch having to listen to it, knowing full well they are going to leave Cornwall and completely ignore it. Get back to Fracking, HS2, rip up some more forests to build unneccessary by-passes, and approve loads more airport runways and terminal extensions. They have already shown their contempt for the ‘carbon footprint’, by flying into Newquay in huge jet planes.

I was surprised that such large jets can land at Newquay, and if you saw all the motorcades, police vehicles, traffic jams the carbon footprint in Cornwall must be off the scale!

Yes, I watched it all on BBC News 24. They had to ‘test’ the airport to make sure Air Force One could land. It had already been near here, to Mildenhall. That was so Biden could ‘glad-hand’ the US servicemen stationed there. This carbon footprint stuff is a total nonsense, and it makes me ‘Meldrew-Angry’! x

7. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Very powerful indeed – we need to listen to the young ones! Thank you for sharing.

I don’t normally share these kind of things but I was quite taken with this song and video.

8. Fantastic! I hope you are ok in amongst all the madness – staying at home for the duration would be my plan.

Yup. We are staying at home. Got some groceries yesterday and got the tennis to watch so all good. ☺️

9. susurrus says:

I was wondering if it was all going on down your way. I am just back from another walk on our condemned field locally, looking at the trees and wildflowers and listening to the birds with the justification from the report running through my head – it’s ‘the wrong kind of wildlife’. Apparently if they add a few trees in with the new housing estate they’ll get much better wildlife.

The wrong kind of wildlife? Can there be such a thing? And the way they cram houses onto a plot now doesn’t leave much room for gardens never mind trees. It’s all so very sad.

1. susurrus says:

It is sophistry. I am very sad about it.

I’m not surprised.

2. Ann Mackay says:

Oh, that really upsets me – the wrong kind of wildlife indeed!! More like the wrong kind of humans, grr!

10. Elizabeth says:

I was very startled to learn that is was taking place in Cornwall. The song makes me ache. I wish that those leaders could be forced to sit face to face, hear the kids sing and have a meaningful response.

Yes, the song makes you want to cry. While they are all enjoying their wonderful dinners and filling the place with motorcades and thousands of police vehicles, people here can’t afford homes and can’t afford to eat properly. It’s all very weird. If only they would really stop and look at what’s going on in the world.

1. Elizabeth says:

I think that becoming a politician and caring about regular people may be pretty often mutually exclusive.

I think you could be right. Though our politicians tend to be posh boys and probably have no idea what it is like to be a regular person.

2. Elizabeth says:

Biden is the first one in many years from a working class background. He gets it without trying.

Let’s hope he can do some good whilst he is in charge.

4. Elizabeth says:

He is having to spend a lot of time undoing at the moment.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: