Six on Saturday | 22 May

I had two sets of new arrivals this week. Some are perennials for the extended gravel garden, others are annuals for patio pots and some tomato, aubergine and sweet pepper plugs. It’s not been the best of weeks for planting things outdoors with wind and rain and now gales, (nor ideal for photographs, hence the blurriness this week), but needs must. I just hope they will survive.

Six things already showing signs of happiness are:

1)  Geranium macrorrhizum ‘Ingwersen’s Variety’ is a mat forming geranium with large lobed leaves that are very aromatic with small magenta-pink flowers that are held up above the foliage. This one has been in at least four different locations (right plant, right place is not always easy) before finally making its home in the woodland border and this year it is looking its healthiest ever.

2) Galium odoratum/ Sweet Woodruff is a ground cover herb, with star-shaped whorls of leaves and lacy white flowers which brighten up a shady spot. It spreads by runners so can become invasive, but I am happy to allow it to do its own thing under my winter honeysuckle and it stops most weeds from appearing with the exception of bindweed which grows through anything! You can see in the header how far these can spread. It is just beginning to come into flower.

And be careful when weeding as the leaves look awfully like cleavers, just not sticky!

3) In the autumn of 2019 I planted Camassia quamash (x20) which are a vivid blue, with tall, bold flowers, Camassia cusickii (x5) a vivid sky blue camassia, tall and elegant and Camassia leichtlinii subsp. suksdorfii ‘Alba’ (x5) spires of creamy-white flowers.  Several appeared at this time last year. This year not many have come back, but this I think is one of the C. cusickii which is a gorgeous colour.

4) My Weigela ‘Wine and Roses’ is also flowering now and I am so pleased because it doesn’t flower every year. I have two of these shrubs that should reach 4′ – 5′ (120cm – 150cm), but mine are much smaller than that. They are planted in two different parts of the garden. One is close to the Kilmarnock willow tree so gets sun in the morning (1), the other is close to the Zen patio in full sun (2).

5) Whistling Jacks / Gladiolius communis byzantinus grow wild in Cornwall and the  Isles of Scilly and are a delightful magenta colour. They always flower at this time of the year, and as always mine are bent in the wind!

6) Staying with the pink-magenta theme let’s take a look at this lovely little Geranium sanguineum which I think is ‘Max Frei’ an  early-flowering dwarf geranium which forms a low spreading hummock of small, rosy purple-pink flowers that smother the bright green foliage all summer long. Cut back hard after flowering has finished and it will grow back. Mine doesn’t stop flowering until well into autumn so I only dead-head it. Best grown in full sun for the most flowers.

This year’s flowers all seem a couple of weeks behind what they normally are. The alliums have yet to open whereas last year at this time they were in full bloom. Here’s hoping for some warmer weather to come!

Love the Wiegela! Have a great weekend, Jude 🙂 🙂

Thanks Jo. You too!

On the road again. Briefly 🤣💕

2. margaret21 says:

It’s no week for working in the garden. Well done you. And you have got results, despite it all.

Managed a few hours on Wednesday, which is just as well as the wind here has been atrocious. Calmer today.

1. margaret21 says:

Coming south to see grandchildren hasn’t improved the weather 😦

Well I expect seeing the grandchildren makes up for the weather!

What about this weather! The grass on the lawn is a foot high, but too wet to cut. I have got the central heating on in the last week in May, and got soaked twice yesterday by gale-driven downpours. I ended up up in a really bad mood last night, and went to bed at 10pm with the raging hump!

We haven’t switched off the heating either, so chilly in the evening! And my lawn is mostly dandelions and daisies! I don’t think I have known such wind, a tree was blown down in the lane and I had to do a 16 point turn as there was no warning sign. Going in the other direction I had to stop and remove a branch from the road. It was wild out there!

4. fredgardener says:

Beautiful weigela… Mine is still late. However the first geranium sanguineum flowers have also appeared here. You’re not the only one showing us Sweet Woodruff this weekend : Chris from Canada did it too. I didn’t know this cover plant so far.

5. The first Geranium you featured is lovely, and I’m glad it is happy in that location! What an apt name for the Weigelia! The Glad is just beautiful!

6. Ha! Yes, we share several plants this week, perhaps because our respective weather has set you back but pushed me forward a bit… Love the Geranium, and mine (maybe even the same variety!) has also started to bloom.

I like ‘Ingwersen’s Variety’ , and the Camassia… well done for persisting in this weather

8. bushboy says:

It does look like the signs of Summer Jude. Have a fab weekend 🙂 🙂

It’s been a very cold spring Brian. I hope summer is better.

1. Ann Mackay says:

I hope so too, Jude! It’s been miserable in the cold, wet and windy weather but seeing your beautiful flowers has cheered me up!

9. Number 4 is more evidence of how the forget-me-nots mix so well with other plants. Pretty Six-on-Saturday again.

I have actually removed loads of the FMNs this week to make space for some seedlings, but they are lovely companion plants.

10. I love magenta as a plant colour, so like you appreciate the G. sanguineum (but I’ve failed so far to capture the true colour on camera) and I’ve also planted the same Gladiolus but had no idea about flowering time or that it grows wild somewhere like Cornwall, with a name like byzantinus I pictured Turkey! I only planted the bulbs quite recently so no idea if it will flower later or not. Sweet woodruff is a spreader, but a pretty one, though I’ll need to contain mine soon I think. Do you harvest it?