A Bluebell Walk

Eventually the rain cleared away this week so that we could go on a bluebell walk. Although there are bluebells in our  lanes and on the hill, I wanted to visit a different location. One which is not too far away and which takes me on another of my favourite roads here in the west of Cornwall. Tehidy Country Park with  250 acres of peaceful woods and lakes to explore. We once went to look at a house for sale here, but didn’t pursue it because the garden was very small and there wasn’t any nearby amenities or bus route. Yes. I know. Where I live now isn’t exactly convenient. But in my defence the garden I have got is slightly bigger!

Back to the walk. From the North Cliffs Entrance which is on the B3301 coast road after Godrevy and Hell’s Mouth and before you reach Portreath, there is a pink signed walk which takes you around the best of the bluebells in the park. About a 2 mile walk so perfect for an evening stroll after the rain clouds had passed and the sun was shining over the sea.

We walked briskly through the woodland, stopping to take a photo or three, but appreciating the light filtering through the trees, the shade which enhanced the blueness of the flowers, the delights of songbirds and the overall stillness. Flashes of pink and purple from rhododendrons and red campion, fresh greens of ferns unfurling and leaves. The beauty of silver birch trees and the unusual twisted trunk of a very old beech tree.

Tehidy was formerly the estate of the Bassets, one of the four most powerful families in Cornwall with extensive lands and mineral rights in this western part of the county. So it seemed fitting that we ended the walk at Basset Cove just across the road. Too early to wait for the sun to set, but a lovely spot to return to.

Jo’s Monday Walks

1. Oh my goodness. This is idyllic. I’d really love to go on this walk, but I am glad I was able to visit virtually through your pictures. 🙂

Virtual travel is pretty much all we have at the moment. But it is cheap and safe 😊

2. Loved this virtual woodland walk with you, Jude. I have blue Canterbury bells in a sunny corner of my front garden, but your pictures of woodland shade suggests I should try blue bells in shady areas, too. (What is the difference between blue bells and Canterbury bells, by the way?)

Different plant species. Bluebells are Hyacinthoides non-scripta and like shady areas, but Canterbury bells are Campanula medium. In Scotland, the term “bluebell” is used for the harebell, Campanula rotundifolia. All very confusing when similar common names are used, which is why I try to include the Botanical names for plants.

3. Graham says:

What a pretty walk through the woods. It’s like out of a storybook.

A Grimm’s fairy-tale?

1. Graham says:

I was thinking of something a little less grim!

4. I love the woods and the bluebells, but the final shot is the stunner for me. That’s what I crave, still landlocked as I am in Glasgow.

Yes, it is lovely to be able to see the sea even if I haven’t actually been to the beach in ages. I have a view of the sea whenever I go to the supermarket!

5. Ann Mackay says:

I enjoyed wandering around the woods in your lovely photographs! The combination of bluebells and silver birches is something really special.

Yes, we particularly loved that, but then silver birches are so beautiful. Wish I had some.

1. Ann Mackay says:

We have one here that must have been planted a good number of years ago. I sometimes wonder if the neighbours on that side mind the shade from it – hopefully they love the look of it instead!

6. BeckyB says:

Oh my, this is absolutely delightful and your photographs magnificent.

Thanks Becky. All good with you?

1. BeckyB says:

yes but one of those impossibly busy weeks, for every two items I strike off the to do list another four bigger ones sneak on!!

Well being busy helps the week go by especially when the weather is as it is.

2. BeckyB says:

That’s what I’ve been telling myself!

7. Beautiful pictures so serene and stunning 🌼🌺

8. katesordinaryday says:

What a beautiful place!

It was lovely for an evening stroll in the sunshine. And bluebell season is very popular here.