A Bluebell Walk

Eventually the rain cleared away this week so that we could go on a bluebell walk. Although there are bluebells in our  lanes and on the hill, I wanted to visit a different location. One which is not too far away and which takes me on another of my favourite roads here in the west of Cornwall. Tehidy Country Park with  250 acres of peaceful woods and lakes to explore. We once went to look at a house for sale here, but didn’t pursue it because the garden was very small and there wasn’t any nearby amenities or bus route. Yes. I know. Where I live now isn’t exactly convenient. But in my defence the garden I have got is slightly bigger!

Back to the walk. From the North Cliffs Entrance which is on the B3301 coast road after Godrevy and Hell’s Mouth and before you reach Portreath, there is a pink signed walk which takes you around the best of the bluebells in the park. About a 2 mile walk so perfect for an evening stroll after the rain clouds had passed and the sun was shining over the sea.

We walked briskly through the woodland, stopping to take a photo or three, but appreciating the light filtering through the trees, the shade which enhanced the blueness of the flowers, the delights of songbirds and the overall stillness. Flashes of pink and purple from rhododendrons and red campion, fresh greens of ferns unfurling and leaves. The beauty of silver birch trees and the unusual twisted trunk of a very old beech tree.

Tehidy was formerly the estate of the Bassets, one of the four most powerful families in Cornwall with extensive lands and mineral rights in this western part of the county. So it seemed fitting that we ended the walk at Basset Cove just across the road. Too early to wait for the sun to set, but a lovely spot to return to.

Jo’s Monday Walks

1. How wonderful! What a lovely treat to have this walk nearby. The bluebells are gorgeous.

It’s simply nice just to be able to drive to places like this again!

1. That’s how we feel every time we go away now, whether it’s for the day or for longer. Such a treat to be able to do nice things.

2. Only in the UK do you find such beauty…

Well, yes regarding the English bluebells. I think we have the greatest number, though they can be found in other parts of Europe.

Bassets as in licorice? I know, I know- lowering the tone! And I may have misled you as this week isn’t my last walk, but you shall have pride of place next week. The light and shade is simply divine, Jude. I especially love that first stand alone shot. And a map so I don’t get lost! 🙂 🙂 Thanks so much, hon! I’ve really enjoyed the journey.

Talking about getting lost, we thought we had as it seemed to take ages to find the car park!

And no. Those Bassetts have two ts. The Cornish ones are descended from the French family I believe. They made their fortune in tin and copper, of course.

I rather like beaten copper but allsorts are much easier 🤔💕

I used to love liquorice allsorts, except the coconut ones, but haven’t had any in years.

The coconut ones were my favourites 🙂 🙂

Well then we could have shared!

4. Some lovely bluebell shots here…we are in Cornwall right now and have posted several glorious walks ourselves. We’ve done remarkably well on avoiding the showers as well!

I shall be over to have a look.

5. margaret21 says:

Fabulous. You can never do too many bluebell walks. And this one looks a winner.

It was a lovely end to a day that started off with rain.

Always a delight to see bluebells in abundance. That’s a nice walk indeed, Jude.
    (We have a Basset family here in Beetley and Gressenhall. They are the largest local employer, with a business involving farm machinery and earthdiggers, etc. )

Probably descendants – they seem to have moved around a fair bit.

7. That is such a beautiful park! I’m amazed that you had it all to yourself – if someone published such an article over here it the park would soon be overrun with city dwellers wanting to either ‘escape to the country’ or find the next instagramable perfect photo shoot.

There were a few dog walkers and some runners/joggers in the park, but otherwise fairly quiet. I think in the summer months and school holidays it will be busier, but there is a lot of countryside and beaches in Cornwall and not many towns.

Ooh, I do like the dilapidated building in amongst the bluebells!

Cute isn’t it? Like a Hansel and Gretel house in the woods. Actually it is in good shape and it is a garage/outbuilding belonging to the Ranger’s house. But old stone always looks good.

Indeed, old stone always looks good.

9. artfulcrone says:

You’re fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the world. I’d like to think I’ll visit one day!

It’s not too bad out of season and the scenery is fabulous.

10. What a pretty path with the flowers, and the final scene is beautiful

Thanks Alice. I will post a couple more photos of the coastal scene.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: