Another Monday Spring Walk

To be truthful this was on a Saturday as this particular garden isn’t open on Mondays. Despite the cold wind blowing down from the Arctic the sun was shining as I headed to the Helford River and Glendurgan Gardens. And yes we’ve been here before. And in Rhododendron time, but I know how much Jo loves her rhodies so how could I not go back and take another look at this lovely garden. So very different to her Algarve home and its native spring flowers.

As soon as you enter the garden and turn the corner you are hit with a slap of vibrant colours. Dark reds, pinks, purples and oranges. Clashing and contrasting magnificently.

What did surprise me though was the number of bluebells in bloom. All over the banks and mixing prettily with pale yellow primroses and creating a blue backdrop to the many Azaleas and other flowering shrubs. We have obviously been too early or too late in previous years.

Magnolias and Camellias are the stars of March and April, but late April and May belongs to the Azaleas, Rhododendrons, bluebells and blossom. Everywhere you look there are bright splashes of colour. And as the paths wind up and down in this deep valley location you have views over the tree tops, or from under the canopy.

Steady on the Steps

As usual I wandered along the top paths down to the beach in Durgan village where some young children were enjoying running in and out of the waves as the tide came in. A bit chilly I would have thought, but kids don’t seem to notice the chill. Unusual to have such waves on this river too, but this April has been unusual in many ways. On the way back I was happy to see my favourite bench empty so I could sit for a while and look over the pond and the maze (still closed) which is looking the best I have seen it.

The Gunnera manicata  (Giant rhubarb / Chile rhubarb or dinosaur food) is beginning to unfurl its large leaves again, looking like aliens emerging from the bog garden. It really is a brute of a thing with leaves over 6ft across. Kids love to walk under them, though they do have some rather lethal thorns.

On my way out I was happy to see the path across the meadow was open again so I was able to get up close to the Handkerchief tree (Davidia involucrata) also known as Dove or Ghost tree. The showy bracts which look like hankies are pure white in late spring and summer, but right now these are a beautiful lime green, blending in with the vivid green heart shaped leaves.

Erica

This beautiful Erica is simply stunning close-up as was a white one nearby. And if you go back to the first gallery you will see it in situ and echoing the pretty lilac colours of an enormous Rhododendron.

But I will leave you with what I think has to be one of the most gorgeous coloured Azaleas I have seen.

Azalea

Jo’s Monday Walk

And I am hoping there are enough details in this post to satisfy Patti this week. After all it is the cumulation of the details that create the bigger picture.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #146 | Details

(And if you are wondering what the difference is between an Azalea and a Rhodie then please visit this earlier post.)

1. Lynn says:

I can understand why you would seek out your favourite bench to sit for awhile. Looks like the perfect place to just breathe in such beautiful surroundings.💕

That particular one has the view of the maze and the pond.

2. JohnRH says:

Wowwww. Beautiful! We are just beginning to green here in Denver, Colorado. Yesterday’s rain is helping, but even it tried to snow.

It’s blooming cold here too John! Hailstones last week.

1. JohnRH says:

Blooming cold. The incongruity of spring. 😂

3. travtrails says:

.bright and beautiful…….

Marvellous!

5. Chloris says:

Beautiful! One of my favourite gardens along with Trebah. Thank you for the trip.

Happy to have you along Chloris!

6. Ann Mackay says:

What a wonderful garden! I enjoyed being able to vicariously spend a little time there – maybe some day I’ll do it for real. Your lovely rhododendron pictures make me realise how much I miss them!

I’m not that keen on the rhododendrons, but I do like the smaller azaleas. These big gardens are the best places to see them though.

1. Ann Mackay says:

Yes, the big gardens give the space that some of those rhododendrons need!

Made up for it being so cold! Like blooming January at the moment!

1. Here too! At least today is fairly dry. Yesterday was a real waterproof trousers day.

Yesterday was a ‘don’t go out or you’ll be blown over a cliff’ day! Today is as windy, but no rain thank goodness.

2. Fortunately we didn’t have the wind or I might have ended up in the canal with the swans!

7. susurrus says:

Those rhodis are amazing! Lovely to see your bluebells too. Their colour is so hard to capture. When I try to take the Spanish ones in my garden, I swear they look pink.

The English bluebells are an odd colour, when you get in close there are often turquoise streaks and the blue is more purple. Also very difficult to photograph.

1. susurrus says:

Mine are sturdy as hyacinths, scented and very distinctly striped but they are not pink to the eye.

8. Joyce says:

These gardens and flowers are breathtaking! It’s a treat for a Californian to enjoy a real English Garden. We only have pretend ones here!

Glad to oblige Joyce. 😊 My favourite season.

9. Suzanne says:

What a cheerful spring walk and I can see why that seat would be your favourite resting spot.

There are lots of benches around the garden, all with good views, but I like looking out over the maze. Plus it is a good spot to catch your breath after walking uphill!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: