Another Monday Spring Walk

To be truthful this was on a Saturday as this particular garden isn’t open on Mondays. Despite the cold wind blowing down from the Arctic the sun was shining as I headed to the Helford River and Glendurgan Gardens. And yes we’ve been here before. And in Rhododendron time, but I know how much Jo loves her rhodies so how could I not go back and take another look at this lovely garden. So very different to her Algarve home and its native spring flowers.

As soon as you enter the garden and turn the corner you are hit with a slap of vibrant colours. Dark reds, pinks, purples and oranges. Clashing and contrasting magnificently.

What did surprise me though was the number of bluebells in bloom. All over the banks and mixing prettily with pale yellow primroses and creating a blue backdrop to the many Azaleas and other flowering shrubs. We have obviously been too early or too late in previous years.

Magnolias and Camellias are the stars of March and April, but late April and May belongs to the Azaleas, Rhododendrons, bluebells and blossom. Everywhere you look there are bright splashes of colour. And as the paths wind up and down in this deep valley location you have views over the tree tops, or from under the canopy.

Steady on the Steps

As usual I wandered along the top paths down to the beach in Durgan village where some young children were enjoying running in and out of the waves as the tide came in. A bit chilly I would have thought, but kids don’t seem to notice the chill. Unusual to have such waves on this river too, but this April has been unusual in many ways. On the way back I was happy to see my favourite bench empty so I could sit for a while and look over the pond and the maze (still closed) which is looking the best I have seen it.

The Gunnera manicataΒ  (Giant rhubarb / Chile rhubarb or dinosaur food) is beginning to unfurl its large leaves again, looking like aliens emerging from the bog garden. It really is a brute of a thing with leaves over 6ft across. Kids love to walk under them, though they do have some rather lethal thorns.

On my way out I was happy to see the path across the meadow was open again so I was able to get up close to the Handkerchief tree (Davidia involucrata) also known as Dove or Ghost tree. The showy bracts which look like hankies are pure white in late spring and summer, but right now these are a beautiful lime green, blending in with the vivid green heart shaped leaves.

Erica

This beautiful Erica is simply stunning close-up as was a white one nearby. And if you go back to the first gallery you will see it in situ and echoing the pretty lilac colours of an enormous Rhododendron.

But I will leave you with what I think has to be one of the most gorgeous coloured Azaleas I have seen.

Azalea

Jo’s Monday Walk

And I am hoping there are enough details in this post to satisfy Patti this week. After all it is the cumulation of the details that create the bigger picture.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #146 | Details

(And if you are wondering what the difference is between an Azalea and a Rhodie then please visit this earlier post.)

That first gallery blew me away on a tide of colour, Jude! Impossible to feel miserable in that place. I think there’s just enough space for us to have a good natter on that bench. OH won’t mind budging up πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ And what a bonus to have the bluebells! You lucked out that day. Thanks so much for bringing a smile to my lips. I think you could just leave me there….

Glad you enjoyed the walk Jo. Not much of a walk compared to the distances you do, but I think you’d enjoy the flowers. OH wasn’t with me that day so plenty of room for us to sit the required distance apart (with our masks on of course). I noticed bluebells in the lane this morning too.

It’s not always about distance, is it? I do love a beautiful garden and this one looks pretty heavenly to me πŸ€—πŸ’•

Slow travel. Mindfulness. And ice-cream when the shop can open again πŸ˜†

Naughty! πŸ€£πŸ’•

Says the cake lady πŸ˜‰

I can’t think what you mean! Do 3 digestive biscuits count? No cheese πŸ˜•πŸ’•

2. margaret21 says:

This looks truly wonderful. This time of year it may be at its most special, but is it a rewarding place to visit at other times of year too? What a pity it’s so far away – I’d come tomorrow to see this!

Most Cornish gardens are at their best in spring, but some have improved their planting so there is something to see in all seasons (bearing in mind that most close during winter). Trebah, which is next door (not NT) is a good one, so are Trelissick and Lanhydrock. Not too sure I have visited here during the summer. And there are others in the area (not NT) that I might explore this summer as the beaches are going to be even more crowded than usual.

1. margaret21 says:

We await your guided tours!

3. BeckyB says:

wow aren’t they splendid. Interestingly the ones at Sir Harold Hillier’s, which are usually wonderful, all seemed to be over before Easter – can only presume the warm March confused them

That is strange. Here they seem to grow right into June.

1. BeckyB says:

how wonderful. They are already brown and on the ground here

Sure they are not camellias?

2. BeckyB says:

ahh good point, some might be, but they are known for their rhododendron woodland, and that section was so green when we were there a couple of weeks ago

The rhodies might not have been flowering then. They only started here a couple of weeks ago and we haven’t had all your frosts. You need to visit again.

A lovely place, with beautiful plants and blooms. Still too cold and damp here to enjoy walking around that much. I only do it because of Ollie.

It was a bit of a shocker yesterday and we still have that blustery wind, but the sun is shining again. What will you do without Ollie? I suppose then you can visit those places that you can’t go to now, like the beaches and the historic sites and gardens. There are some lovely ones in Norfolk.

If i am still around when he is gone, I will go to places where dogs are not allowed. Also to other towns, like Kings Lynn, where there is nothing to interest dogs. I can use my bus pass! But I might stay in during torrential rain! πŸ™‚
        Best wishes, Pete.

I was looking at using my bus pass as I had to have the car serviced and it is a real nightmare trying to get around different places, unless you just go to one of the main towns. Luckily the garage gave me a lift home as it is not the weather for walking plus I have sciatica – again!

I have to drive into Dereham to get a bus to anywhere, But I can get a bus as far as Peterborough from there, and if I change at Kings Lynn, I can go to Wisbech or Cambridge. I hope I am fit enough to be able to get more use from it when the time comes. So far, I have only used it to go into Norwich city centre, or Norwich Hospital.

I have the same problem. I have to drive somewhere to catch any bus! And looking at timetables there can be a long wait before any connections. And that is if the buses run on that day or more than every two hours!

The inter-city bus services from Dereham are regular and reliable. They have leather seats, airconditioning, and wi-fi too. But the last small local bus back to Beetley is at 4:50 pm! Miss that, and it’s a one-hour walk across the fields. That’s why I drive there, and park in the (currently) free car park. πŸ™‚

5. peggy says:

A fantastic array of loveliness and color. Such a splendid place to walk. You took so many great pictures.

I still take far too many pictures Peggy! I am much better now than I was, but only a fraction make it onto the blogs.

1. peggy says:

I do the same thing with my pictures. Few get to my blog.

What are we like? πŸ˜„

2. peggy says:

We need photos of the same thing from every angle.

6. bushboy says:

It is a beautiful garden Jude. I want to tale my turn on the bench too. Thanks for taking me along πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Well, you do know that we have to practice social distancing here don’t you Brian? 2m apart unless wearing a mask and then we can be a bit more cosy, but there are plenty of benches around and we could always picnic on the lawn 😊

1. bushboy says:

Sounds fine Jude, I’ll bring the rug and wine πŸ™‚

You up watching the TV again Brian?

2. bushboy says:

No Jude, about to head to bed. Just after 10:45

I keep thinking you are 11 hours ahead, but you’re only 9.

7. Wow,what a wonderful garden..I envy you with this beauties.thank you for taking us along!

A pleasure to have your company JBD!

8. Pit says:

So wonderful!

Glad you enjoyed the walk Pit.

9. Tina Schell says:

Dazzling colors in this one Jude – the trees and flowers are gorgeous and I loved the maze. Gardens like these amaze me as I and my black thumb are completely clueless when it comes to the science and art of creating such beauty.

Takes a lot of work to maintain these gardens, but they are lovely. And one where I can fully relax and just enjoy wandering without thinking I need to dead-head that flower, or pull up that weed! πŸ˜‚

10. I love this garden and your photos really do it justice. Thank you for the timely reminder to get down there. πŸ™‚

I think this one is definitely best in the spring. The colours are gorgeous at the moment.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: