Getting to Know You

A new host this week, Scillagrace (Priscilla Grace) who invites us to present a “Getting To Know You” post showing your relationship with a subject you’ve photographed. The subject could be a Person, a Place, a Culture, an Object…anything that has captured your attention, won your affection and taught you a thing or two.

The long white cloud

My love affair with the south-west began many years ago as a child on holiday. The long drive down from the north of England when there were few motorways was not my favourite part as I suffered badly with travel sickness. But once we had arrived in our caravan in either Dorset, Devon or Cornwall I was entranced.

Wind forward 50 years or so and dreams of a move to the south-west were becoming a reality. Several holidays in Cornwall helped us decide where it was we wanted to live. And that was practically the end of the country. West Penwith.

The toe of England, the bit that weather forecasters always put their arm across, the extreme south-west which gets battered by the Atlantic storms scudding across the Celtic Sea .

Where Land’s End lies.
And mermaids sigh.

Lanyon Quoit and Ding Dong Mine

For some reason the wildness and openness of this part of the country appealed to us. It’s rural charm and tin mining history, patchwork fields and Cornish hedges, tiny fishing villages and remote beaches are endearing, though maybe not so much during the school holidays when the population rises dramatically and roads are choked, car parks full and beaches heaving.

Carn Galver mine

Living in the countryside in a hamlet of less than twenty houses you start to notice nature.

The weather.
The clouds.
The sunsets and sunrises.
Wildflowers.

It has a very different character to the rest of Cornwall; it feels almost like an island. Remote villages and hamlets are strung along one of the most beautiful roads in the land  between St Just and St Ives.

And travel is slow due to tractors, trucks, German campervans, French motorhomes, sharp bends and drystone granite walls that you desperately try to avoid at all costs when reversing into a ‘passing place’.  The unhurried pace gives  you time to catch a glimpse of

A blue-green sea.
The tumble-down mine.
A white-washed cottage.
Golden sands.

The narrow lanes and Cornish hedges are full of wild flowers such as Sheep’s bit  Scabious and Pennywort.

Frothy cow parsley.
Towering foxgloves.
Red campion (which is really pink).
Starry stitchwort(Lesser and Greater).
English bluebells
and Montbretia.

I have spent a lot of time photographing my neighbourhood in the five years since I moved here. I have learned the names of plants that I had never seen before and I even spent an entire year recording nature in a monthly photographic blog journal. I don’t think I have ever in my entire life come to know a place as intimately as I have with this one.

Or love it as much.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #145 | Getting to know you

1. Your post is so inviting – I think I want to be there too!

Bit wet at the moment, but we definitely needed it!

1. Same here – a bit damp, but mustn’t complain.

2. It is amazing thought to write about Getting to know the thing you photographed. Loved the article and photographs.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the post 😊

3. How marvellous that you have settled in “your place”. And such a lovely place!

Just as well since we have been stuck here for the past three years! But we have a week away in nearby Somerset at the end of May – baby steps!

4. You have a lovely patch of nature over there, It´s no wonder why it got you, knowing the plants that surrounds you is even more crazy. I think I need to do that as well..:-))Thank you for sharing your idyllic place, I really enjoyed your post.

Your love affair with Cornwall explained in photos. Nicely done, Jude.

6. artfulcrone says:

What a wonderful post! I’m not a traveler but Cornwall is one place I would very much love to visit.

7. Tina Schell says:

Your world is so different from mine Jude, and yet you love it for the same reasons I love mine. The sea, the air, the flowers, the slower pace – the wonders of nature and its impact on our spirit. And yes, when school ends our world becomes a bit more difficult because so many others choose to enjoy it too. I loved getting to know your beautiful landscapes, and your header is amazing. Really wonderful post – your love comes shining through.

8. Ann Mackay says:

I enjoyed the chance to see your home area through your eyes. Hubby and I visited Cornwall a few years ago. (2006 – yikes, longer than I thought!) We had a great time exploring and I fell in love with St Ives. 🙂

9. JohnRH says:

Beautiful beautiful. Been there. Beautiful.

A wonderful ode to lesser known, out of season rural Cornwall, Jude….I was entranced by the ruined mines aged 11, but never went back, other than for a very brief trip in the early’80s,more fool me

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: