Six on Saturday | April Blues

April has been a funny ole month – a northerly cold wind blew throughout most of the early days with some wintry showers thrown into the mix, but most days have been sunny and dry, although temperatures barely reaching double figures and down to 0°C at night, but fortunately no frosts here. I have managed to get some wires strung along my fence for my three new clematis and an old rose to climb along. Said rose has been clipped and tied in so I am hoping that this year there will be more flowers and not all at the top! And my hellebore seedlings from a few years ago all have new pots and new compost and the dozen or so slimy assassins hiding in their roots have been exterminated.
Doing this monthly is a little tricky now that there are lots of things to show, but here are six pretty things that appeared this month. Above you have the view of my new shady bed from the back of the garden with many of my favourite colours appearing – the golds and greens and buttery coppers and the blues.

1.  April is not April without the masses of Forget-me-Nots that explode into frothy heads of cerulean blueness. No matter how many seedlings I remove in the autumn they are everywhere as you can see, even in some of my pots! But they are such a beautiful foil for the narcissi and tulips that I really don’t mind.

2. The next blue is unexpected and must have just been in the compost that I used to top up my raised Bee & Butterfly bed. A mixed bag of Anemone coronaria ‘De Caen’ corms were bought a few years ago and I really must buy some more for next year as they really are stunning. Try looking up the individual varieties.

3. The third blue has a flower very similar to the Forget-me-Nots, but a very different leaf. In fact the flowers are that tiny bit smaller and tiny bit stronger colour. This one is Brunnera ‘Sea Heart’ with its silver green-veined heart-shaped leaves.

4. Another paler shade of blue in the garden at this time of year is my Pulmonaria / Lungwort. I thought maybe I had lost it this year because last month there was barely a sign of the leaves. I have to cut them back in the autumn because they always get mildew and go black. But no, here they are again. Possibly ‘Opal’, but I didn’t plant them so that’s a guess. Again, nice spotted foliage, for now.

5. Moving away from the blues now, let’s have some contrasting colours. Wallflowers. An old-fashioned favourite, I like to use these plants as toppers for my tulips. Old ones were planted on the Cornish wall where they are flowering again, but I bought some new plants last autumn which are just beginning to show their colours.

These should be bright enough for Becky’s bright squares too.

6)  Calendula officinalis / pot marigold. I sowed some seeds directly into this bed last year and some have continued to flower throughout the winter. I had a lovely dark one called ‘Indian Prince’ which may return if it self-seeded, but I haven’t seen any sign of it yet. Calendula are cheerful flowers and I have some new seeds to sow in a month or so’s time in my herb bed. See how perfectly the photo-bombing blues surround this flower?

There are of course dozens of tulips in my garden now, but quite a few of the older ones have gone over already. I shall be doing a post about the bulbs soon – too many for a sixer – but I will be back next month to join the party with some more pretties. The header photo was taken from my upstairs window on April 1st with the willow trees just coming into bud.

1. margaret21 says:

Your plant calendar is clearly so different from ours, yet we have had, it seems a better month up north – it was 16 degrees yesterday! No forget-me-nots yet. Few wallflowers, but the daffodils are only just giving up the ghost. So this post is for me one which foretells things to come.

It’s warm in the sun, but a constant chilly breeze. My white daffs in the bed are still going strong, just the little ones are over. And the blackthorn is finally open. Things are definitely a few weeks late this year.

Loving that first shot back towards your conservatory, Jude! I’ve been pestering for a small ‘garden room’ on our roof (to give us an additional ‘bedroom’ for the youngster) but the logistics are a bit tricky and so I’m being ignored at the moment 🙂 🙂 You know, every April is a funny one when you look back. It’s the same here, though nothing so extreme. Have a lovely weekend!

You don’t fancy one of those lovely villas with a pool?

What I fancy and what we can afford are two different things, and a villa in the hills? Not really! 😦 😦 I like where we are. Prices are going through the roof though.

I meant one close to the beach. Better get in quick if prices are on the up.

Not a chance! 🙂 🙂 Humble origins and all that…

3. peggy says:

Truly love the blue flowers scatter through the other flowers. Blue is my favorite color. Love these photos so much.

Ah, well, those forget-me-nots are impossible to leave out of a photo!

4. Lovely shot of the shady bed – really colourful. Orange and blue is such a good combination. You’ve reminded me that I need to check on my Indian Prince seedlings – I don’t think many had appeared the last time I checked.

The orange Heucheras look good with the blues.

5. fredgardener says:

Hi Jude, very nice photos as usual, … and I especially love the Calendula / Marigold combo. really nice. Have a good weekend.

Thanks Fred. A bit chilly this weekend (strong cold wind) and still no sign of rain. I have three clematis to plant, but unsure whether to wait until the soil is more moist. What do you think?

1. fredgardener says:

Clematis like to have cool feet, so if you plant them, water them well and as recommended, cover the foot with a tile to keep freshness . I think it should be fine if it isn’t too cold by night otherwise just leave them in the shelter for another week or two. Here in France, the rain would come back within ten days, so like you I guess.

6. Your garden is so pretty, and there always seems to be something of interest. The only thing on your list that we have are the forget me nots (but not quite as advanced as yours yet) and I should have had wallflowers, but I think the slimy assassins got to them

Like some of the tulips my wallflowers are very small still.

You have a very nice display, Jude. Despite the weather. 🙂

Cold but sunny, I prefer that to wet and grey. It is actually warm in the sun ☀ just right for gardening.

8. Stunning colours! Those forget-me-nots are lovely but that last one is much “bluer” than any of mine.

The last photo was taken in shade so might seem a bit bluer. They are all very blue though!

Absolutely gorgeous, Jude!

Thanks Sue, no effort on my part as to where the forget-me-nots end up!

But don’t they just make a great sea of blue!

Like the bluebells I saw today!

10. Lynn says:

So fresh & colourful. Spring has been a bit slow getting here, greens of new buds are just beginning to pop,. Hoping for more consistent warmer temperatures and the rebirth that comes with it!

Been cooler here too despite the very welcome sunshine. Some days the wind dies down and then it is very pleasant in the garden, as long as you stay in the sun! My plants are definitely later this year compared to photos taken at the same time last year. But then we had a very warm April.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: