Easter Monday Magnolia Walk

Sunny and warm weather last week enticed us to visit Lanhydrock, surely the most beautiful garden for magnificent magnolias? From the whitest of white M. stellata ‘Donna’ to the giant voluptuous deep purple goblets of M. ‘Apollo’, there are blooms with all shades in between. As with most National Trust gardens you have to pre-book to visit as numbers are limited. Here, many people come to walk with their dogs or cycle around the vast parkland so it is relatively quiet in the actual gardens. It is worth noting that the timed visit is to enter the garden where your tickets are checked, so make sure you leave sufficient time to walk down from the car park.

Let’s take a wander. Enter the gardens through the imposing gatehouse where the formal parterres and goblet-shaped yew trees are.

The softer shades of magnolias are instantly noticeable in the lower areas and the smell of new mown grass fills the air. First mowing of the season and the lawns look like velvet. It was nice to see people meeting up with one another (rule of six applies still), having a picnic, seeing a grandchild, probably for the first time. Unfortunately my family live too far away for a meet up like this yet. I’m going to have to wait until overnight stays are allowed.

We usually wander around the gardens in an anti-clockwise direction, so that we make our way slowly up to the higher parts and from there into the woodland garden. Some of the blossoms are magnificent and deserve a closer look.

Along the way we stop frequently to admire the flowers,Β  sadly the Camellias are badly rain-damaged in this part of the garden, their vibrant colours turning a mushy brown. But there are plenty of new beginnings in the herbaceous borders and along the water garden. It was a misty day in Cornwall, though the sun did try to break through at times, and warm enough to dispose of the jacket. Unfortunately though, this meant no blue sky to contrast with the blossom.

Daffodils have been planted in their thousands in the edges of the lawns. Tall white ones echo the magnolia blossom and delicate yellows shine out among pale yellow and pink primroses. It must be a mammoth task planting all these bulbs.

The cute thatched cottage at this end of the garden looks like something out of a fairy tale with the magnolias framing it. White and bright red Chaemoneles (Japanese Quince) scramble up the walls.

As we climb upwards towards the woodland the pale Magnolias are replaced by huge Rhododendrons in darker shades of reds, bright pinks, and even yellow, though my camera lens only sees white. Fortunately there are many benches dotted around for you to take a break from the climb and simply sit and watch the petals fall silently, like confetti, to the ground. Despite being not too far from the busy A30 there is no other sound other than the endless fluty birdsong of blackbirds and robins and the chattering of sparrows.

Time to breathe and take in the beauty of nature and the joy of the beginning of spring.

Jo’s Monday Walk

Bright Square Day 5

A beautiful spot indeed, Jude, and lovely photos. We have had light snow here this morning, and a fiercely cold wind!

Yes, I am glad we went last week when it was warm, though not the temperatures you got over in the east. Coming home though we hit thick fog as we reached the Hayle estuary! It’s a funny place, Cornwall!

2. bushboy says:

That was an amazing walk Jude, I could almost smell the blossoms. Thanks for letting me tag along πŸ™‚

No smell detected at all BB. I did a close sniff test on several of the magnolias, but nothing. You’d think there would be one with a scent wouldn’t you? BTW did you receive my email?

1. bushboy says:

The Magnolias in the park in town have a scent.
        Yes I have received the email thanks. I’ll have more time and be more alert tomorrow to take it in Jude. You’re a treasure x

Really? Mmm… I wonder what type it is.

And you can’t find out?

3. bushboy says:

If I can find a park gardener next time in town possibly

3. margaret21 says:

A treat in store for us. Magnolias are only just thinking about coming out here. Just as well, in view of the weekend cold snap.

Ah, yes, this cold snap will not be kind to them.

4. artfulcrone says:

I really enjoyed this! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for coming along.

5. Marsha says:

What a perfect garden, Jude. It looks like something out of a romantic novel. The colors are magnificent and I particularly love the old buildings with thatched rooves and spirals. Thank you for such an interesting post. πŸ™‚

It is one of our favourite gardens, but a 90 mile round trip so one that is not visited very often.

1. Marsha says:

That is a long way, but your photos are fabulous. I’m so glad you made it. πŸ™‚

6. susurrus says:

How amazing it seems to see magnolias in full flower. I am certainly starved of gardens and your post went a good way to making me feel like I was out there, enjoying it too. And no overnight stay required! Joking aside, I hope you have chance to meet up safely before too long. I know it’s not easy with loved ones scattered far and wide.

A 90 mile round-trip so no overnight stay required, probably stretching the idea of stay local though! My excuse is that it is still in the council limits of Cornwall!

1. susurrus says:

I meant not needed for my virtual trip πŸ™‚

That’s the good thing about virtual trips, we can go as far as we like. ☺️

7. Your garden photographs satisfy a deep longing in my heart this Monday morning in the Easter Octave. Here, it’s barely spring – with the emphasis on “bare” — but soon we’ll enjoy more tulips and blooming trees, especially my Saucer Magnolia and dogwoods, followed by purple rhododendrons and peonies in May.

Slowly does it, I don’t like spring to bound by too quickly. Already my tulips are flowering along with the daffodils and narcissi!

8. Graham says:

A lovely walk. Thanks for sharing. All those blooms must be a magnificent sight. Too bad about the mist, but experiencing a place in different weather conditions gives it a different feel each time, which I like.

We didn’t mind the mist too much as it kept the temperature down to a pleasant level rather than be baked in the sun. Luckily this garden is between the coasts – they were very foggy!

1. Graham says:

I remember the fog. We don’t get that here, just vog from the volcano!

I’m dying to know how you ended up in Hawaii having lived here!

2. Graham says:

I was soooooo tempted to just like your reply (except that option doesn’t come up for me) but, in a nutshell, grew up in Bude, and lived by Trencrom while working near Marazion. Then moved to Washington State in the USA and married an American. Years later, visited Hawaii, liked it, and moved here. They won’t be making a movie of my life anytime soon!

Doesn’t sound like a bad life 😊

4. Graham says:

I certainly can’t complain.

9. BeckyB says:

Magnolias are one of my favourite trees, I just love them. Mine has done so well this year, survived yesterday’s frost and today’s snow flurries. Not as amazing as yours at these gardens though. I have a vague recollection of visiting here once when we lived in Plymouth – what a marvellous visit you had. Looks so quiet, and here’s to the family joining you regularly in 2022 (and maybe even later this year)

Fabulous walk and squares Jude thank you πŸ˜€

1. BeckyB says:

PS I nearly forgot Cee and I are wondering if you can advise on this tree she wants to borrow for her own yard – https://ceenphotography.com/2021/04/05/april-5-brightsquare-and-monday-windows-tree-in-blossom/

You once lived in Plymouth? My brother lives there and I once stayed with him for a couple of months when we were homeless. I love magnolia trees, wish I had one, but no room and I can easily get my fix in any of the Cornish gardens.

1. BeckyB says:

I did indeed, on Tamerton Foliot Road – our old house is now an assisted living complex.

So you are a Devon girl at heart.

2. BeckyB says:

For a few years of my life certainly!

Ok, I submit! I’m transported πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Took me a long time to get here today but it was worth the effort. You know I love showy, Jude!

I know you love an English spring garden, especially the rhodies. It’s good that we can share.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: