Bright Squares

April is a square month and this year Becky wants us to find the bright things in life. I had a few ideas all relating to Cornwall of course with my coruscating seas and cloudless skies, happy, shiny people and bright lights, but then I decided upon showcasing all the bright and beautiful flora found in the county to brighten up your month as a tribute to theΒ first ever Squares in September 2017 which was all about flowers. So prepared to be dazzled.

My all-time favourite spring bulb is the tulip. I love to experiment with different colour combinations and types and I am slowly learning which ones can withstand the April winds! I have a preference for the copper/orange/purples and deep reds.

Glossy
Queen of Night

Remember the only rule is that your photograph MUST be square. Day Two

Bright:

Shining; Light; Brilliant; Vivid; Blazing; Dazzling; Beaming; Glaring; Sparkling; Glossy; Coruscating; Cheerful; Happy; Clear; Glowing; Bright & Early; Bright as a Button; Bright Lights; Look on the Bright Side; Brightly coloured; Cloudless; Lustrous; Radiant; Luminous; Polished

1. margaret21 says:

They certainly fit the bill. Lovely.

Lovely glossy ones. Red Shine is a really glossy one too. Not sure any of those have come back this year.

That’s a fabulous colour πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

1. BeckyB says:

what Jo says!

Not coming back this year though, well maybe two very small flowers πŸ˜”

πŸ™„πŸ’•

3. BeckyB says:

If only our tulips were going to look this bright and this good this year – they are not happy bunnies on our terrace

I only have 2 pots of new ones this year and the ones to appear already are half the height they should be. Most odd. The ones I left in pots from last year are barely producing anything.

1. BeckyB says:

ooh yours sound as troublesome as ours – the weather, bad batch . . .hmm most strange

Some people blame the compost for bad germination of seeds. I wonder if the same can be said for bulbs?

2. BeckyB says:

hmmmm, interesting I did wonder if it was because it was old compost.

Gorgeous tulips, Jude

Last year’s.

5. Nothing compares to Tulips, they are my favourite as well.

So many gorgeous colours, it is hard to choose!

6. I love the deep shade of the Queen of the Night. I’ve planted some tulips this year (the squirrels having gradually eaten over the years all the ones that we had in the garden). Nothing has bloomed yet, but they are all growing. I’m hedging my bets and have put some in pots and some in the ground.

The answer to tulips is to plant new bulbs each year, unless you have a huge garden and can dig the old ones into the ground and give them a few years to develop bigger bulbs. A lot of my older ones (which weirdly do come back and are in pots that haven’t been emptied in 5 years!) are flowering now, but my new ones are later. I don’t mind as I have lots of daffs still blooming and would like to extend the flowering season.

7. Ann Mackay says:

I love tulips – wish they would all come back every year. Imagine the amazing colour we’d get if they did! ‘Queen of Night’ is one of my favourites for the wonderful deep colour. I may still have the odd one.. must be on the lookout. (But I think I’ve probably lost the few I had.)

I experimented last year by buying six different tulips and planting them in individual pots. I left the bulbs alone through summer in a sunny spot. Only a couple of flowers have reappeared so far and very small ones. I do have other tulips in pots (untouched) that are flowering for the fifth year so I guess it depends on the type.

Our tulips haven’t appeared, but at least our few daffodils showed up. πŸ™‚
    Best ishes, Pete.

My older tulips have begun flowering but the new ones are slow this year. Still I have daffodils so I don’t want everything to flower at once!

9. Graham says:

That’s a gorgeous color. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any like that before.

Queen of Night is a gorgeous colour. But very tall and tall ones don’t do so well in my windy garden. I think two have appeared this year, much smaller and much shorter!

1. Graham says:

Ah, that Cornish wind. The trees here have the same flat, windswept look as those on the Cornish coast, for the same reason!

I was expecting the rain, but not the wind! Should have bought a house in a town where there is shelter, not on top of one of the highest places πŸ˜‚

10. Cee Neuner says:

Oh I’m loving your tulips … they do brighten my day πŸ˜€

You love tulips too, I remember 😊

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: