Six on Saturday | Future Plans

After last month’s post I was left pondering about what, if anything, I would like to change about my garden. What I’d really like is to get a garden design team in and landscape it as a Japanese garden – it’s definitely wet enough to grow ferns and mosses! And after the first mow of the year of my miniscule lawn and hacking the edges I decided that it just has to go.

Firstly though I am very happy with my pots of spring bulbs. After last month’s dwarf irises, March has been the return of the Narcissi and Daffodils. Pretty Narcissus ‘Tête á Tête‘, yellow and orange ‘Martinette’ and white ‘Thalia’ jazz up the patio along with my white Camellia. N. ‘Rip van Winkle‘ are still performing in the woodland border and other odd spots around the garden. The beetroot purple Hyacinth ‘Woodstock‘ adds a strong contrast. I will remove these bulbs this year and replant as only two of the five bulbs have flowered, although with three spikes. And last years daffodils reappeared in the raised bed at the end of the month. Though yesterday’s chilly wind has wreaked havoc!

When looking at my photos I realised how much of my spring garden is purple and yellow!

Chionodoxa luciliae  / Glory of the Snow has reappeared in the woodland border (blue / lilac) and the white variety in my raised bed, though not so many. These are so lovely, but also so difficult to photograph.

One Anemone coronaria, (the poppy anemone, Spanish marigold, or windflower) popped up unexpectedly and is white! I don’t recollect any white ones when I planted these a couple of years ago. I must buy some more this autumn as they are such beautiful flowers.

The raised beds have been weeded and ready for some new additions. More herbs and a rhubarb plant are planned for one of them. And a new clematis has been ordered for the other bed to add to the early flowering montana variety. In the meantime this pretty Euphorbia ‘Martini’ is looking good. It is a lovely spurge, bearing dark grey-green rosettes of leaves and upright bracts in lime-green with a red eye. My thyme and sage plants on the other hand are not looking so good.

The mini wildflower patch I created last year has erupted with pretty Snake’s Head Fritillary / Fritillaria meleagris – mostly the purple kind, but one pure white. I hadn’t noticed last year that they have pretty, long, yellow stamen inside these nodding bells.

And finally, a new gardening book. OK, this might make it seven, but hopefully no-one is counting. Although I have a few lot of books (and have sworn not to buy any more) I cannot resist gardening books. Some I simply dip into for ideas and inspiration or advice, others I just love for the images like my large Frampton Floral by Richard Mabey which is full of Victorian botanical prints. This one was my treat to myself on Mother’s Day.

With some dry days, though still on the chilly side, I keep getting outside to do a bit more than the five minutes weeding. The winter honeysuckle has had a major prune, all crossed over branches removed and the centre opened up. We’ll see how it goes next year, but this might be cut down completely. I have never noticed any scent from the shrub unless I stick my nose right into a flower. I think it should be in sun for the perfume to waft around and this is in complete shade all winter.

Summer bulbs have been planted – Martagon lilies, Freesia, Sparaxis and Ixia as well as Zephyranthes candida and robusta (rain lilies) – let’s hope they manage to avoid being munched by the slimy assassins! And some seeds sown. Oh, and the sparrows are back to using the weeping willow tree as their conference centre.

1. That’s a very pretty collection of spring flowering bulbs, purple and yellow works well (as you know, I like H. Woodstock!). Euphorbia martinii is lovely and vibrant too. I really enjoy Monty’s writing, and I have his ‘Down to Earth’ which I refer to lots, it’s so informative. Let us know what you think of this one you’ve bought.

I will. Haven’t looked inside the book yet! My poor daffs have been badly battered by this week’s wind and rain, all at a 45 degree angle right now, which is not a good look.

2. I just love fritillaries too – and yours are so pretty; precious flowers, and such a joy!

They are pretty, just not enough of them!

1. … you could never have ‘enough’ of them!!

3. Scott Dee says:

Looks like your garden is having a lovely Spring! Such a lovely bundle of blooms. And I don’t know that I’ve ever looked at a spurge that closely before – but now I definitely have to!
    Are there any plants that you can’t seem to grow well? Your garden seems unstoppable.

I have plenty of failures Scott. It is so wet during the winter that a lot of plants simply rot. I’m amazed that the bulbs come through at all! And I do love spring bulbs 😊

4. I hope you enjoy the new book. Let us know what you think. The Euphorbia Martini is a good looking plant, but I’ve not seen one for a while. It’s one of those that were very popular about ten years ago and then something else becomes the plant du jour. I love your purple flower montage.

I tried the euphorbia purpurescens, but it died. This one seems to be doing ok. I look at what’s growing in local gardens and I am gradually learning what will survive in mine.

5. Murtagh's Meadow says:

You have a lot going on in your garden. It looks great. Love all the colours. I have a lot of daffs but not much else at the moment

My daffs have suffered from the wind and rain, now at 45 degrees 😬

1. Murtagh's Meadow says:

It is frustrating isn’t it

6. Your pots are so beautiful, Jude. I’ve tried a few times to grow bulbs in pots with no success. I think it must just be too hot here.

Probably. They like a spell of cold weather and my tulips suffer badly if it’s too warm in spring.

7. Roguegarden says:

Your photos of the anemone and euphorbia are very good. The anemone looks a bit like a bride at a windy wedding. I love your collection of ceramic pots – a nice selection.

Those pots were just what I had handy when I had run out and still had a ton of bulbs to plant! I need to increase my terracotta pots as several got broken during the storms.

8. BeckyB says:

Gorgeous post 🥰

Thank you. Spring is my favourite season. Though I won’t have as many tulips this year. As an experiment I left last year’s in their pots and I don’t think many are coming back.

1. BeckyB says:

Our new tulips have not done well in pots this year – might be the weather!

My new ones are only just beginning to appear so there is still time. I still think March is early for tulips, April / May is tulip time!

2. BeckyB says:

I know I know, just remebering last year they were in full flower by 1st week of April. Better they’re back to normal this year!

We had an early warm spell last year didn’t we? I know I was pleading to my tulips not to open all together.

4. BeckyB says:

Poor tulips they must despair of us humans, we always want something more!

9. Cathy says:

Really interesting to read your thoughts here, Jude, and I am sure you won’t regret removing your grass. Will you Google for ideas for a Japanese garden? Your groupings of pots look really effective, as do your fritillaries in the rough grass. Seven gardening books sounds really restrained to me!

Ah, no, not 7 books, just 7 things for six on Saturday. I may have a few more… 😅 I will probably just extend my gravel garden and grow the cottage and herb plants that like my wet and windy climate.

1. Cathy says:

Oh silly me – it didn’t even cross my mind that you might mean for SoS!!

10. Katharine says:

Hi Jude – your describe the colours of the iris perfectly – beetroot purple. I love you spring collection and it sounds like your summer one will be just as super. My snakeshead fritillaries are on their way up but a bit behind yours. It’s funny how you get the odd white one but it really adds to the interest doesn’t it? Have a great week.

Well, I hope the summer bulbs appear, they don’t seem to be as reliable for me as spring bulbs.