A Change of Scenery

In England we are still in lockdown mode (our third) which began on 6th January 2021, which means that we are only allowed to leave home for essential reasons. Since then most of my journeys have been to the library to collect books ordered online, or the supermarket(s) – I have a choice of two close to me in opposite directions and I have to drive to them.  The weather has been wet, windy and cold throughout these winter months though towards the end of February we were promised a few sunny days. Cold, but dry. So I pre-booked timed visits to two local gardens and hoped the weather forecasters had got it right.  I have already written about Trengwainton – showcasing the beautiful spring flowers here in Cornwall – and a river walk on this estate, which although not having a large garden, nevertheless is one I love to visit throughout the year. My intention was to capture the shadows and clouds,  ideas that have motivated me during lockdown.

Godolphin Gardens (NT) is about a 20 minute drive away along narrow country roads. And boy did it feel good to be seeing familiar sights again.

Apart from the garden there are a lot of buildings on the estate, built from local granite rock and I love the muted colours of this stone.

And the late winter light was truly spectacular.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #140 | A Change of Scenery

1. Ann Mackay says:

The light in these is beautiful and makes the photographs really inviting. Wouldn’t it be lovely to be able to just step into them! 🙂

2. I can’t decide which images I like the most – the granite stone buildings or the trees and trails in the beautiful winter light. I think the next to the last one with the blue sky, trees, and green field is my favorite. Thanks so much for sharing your change of scenery with us.

Thank you for hosting this week’s challenge.

3. Another beautiful set of photos. I especially like one of the tree lined path.

That’s spectacular in May as the area is full of bluebells.

4. Tina Schell says:

What a beautiful spot Jude – you’re so right, the light and shadows are wonderful. Loved those tall trees at the end of your post especially. Such a bummer that you guys are back in lockdown – you were so far ahead of the rest of the world early on. Things are opening up a bit here as more and more of us have been vaccinated. We are still careful but can venture out a bit more than a month or two ago. I actually made it into town 2 weeks ago for a haircut which felt like heaven. There are some shops next door and I treated myself to some new PJs – silly how such a little thing can make such a big difference. Much like a change of scenery!!

Our hairdressers can’t open until 12 April and I’m guessing there will be a long queue! My second jab won’t be until mid May which is when we can hopefully make plans to go away or even have a meal in a restaurant!

1. Tina Schell says:

It’ll be here before you know it Jude. here’s to better tomorrows!

5. artfulcrone says:

You live in a very beautiful part of the world. Thank you for sharing it with us.

6. Mary Jo Malo says:

So, so lovely are your limited travel photos. The light in Cornwall is special. At least food and books are considered essential!!

And I get to see the sea when I go to the supermarkets!

7. Lynn says:

So lovely Jude & a welcome little drive, I am sure. Sorry to hear you are once again in lockdown. This is just all so frustrating!🙄

We haven’t been very far since March 23 2020. When we were allowed to move Cornwall was full of tourists, so the beaches and restaurants were very busy, so we felt it safer to remain close to home. It will probably be the same again this year, but hopefully we will have had our second jab by mid May so may feel a bit more safe.

8. Pit says:

Things look very pretty in that mellow light.

9. Graham says:

Looks like the forecasters got it right for once. The light is wonderful, as you say. Must have been great to get out there.

It was. A shame none of the cafés are open though.

10. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Looks lovely and you have some beautiful blue sky too

Always lovely when the sun shines! Sadly not often enough for me during the winter months.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: