Return of Six on Saturday

I thought I would have been back amongst the SoSers sooner, but it’s been an altogether miserable winter and although I had one or two flowering plants in January, nothing worthy of a SoS post.

1. Crocuses in containers. Last year I grew the lovely Crocus Chrysanthus ‘Blue Pearl’, ‘Cream Beauty’ and Crocus ‘Orange Monarch’  in pots which went into the conservatory to avoid the wind and the rain. I left them in their pots outdoors in a sunny spot over the summer to see if they would return this spring. Cream Beauty attempted to flower again, but the rain damaged the flowers before I could bring it indoors. I will remove all these bulbs and try and find a spot in the ground now and see if any survive next spring.

And lesson learned –  I will buy new bulbs for containers next year.

The photos below are from last year.

2. Hellebores are now in bud. I managed to get out one dryish day to cut off all the old leaves so that the new shoots and flowers can be seen. Several of the new ones I bought a few years ago are flowering this year so I have a white one with a pink freckly face to join the older ones. I also have about 20 pots of seedlings that need to be repotted!

3. Under the Willow tree the crocuses in the ground have been opening since mid January along with a tiny clump of double snowdrops and an even smaller clump of aconites. I am not too fussed about snowdrops though they do look lovely en masse and they are definitely stronger that the crocuses which get flattened by the wind and rain. On that point maybe I should plant more snowdrops here. You can see that I wasn’t totally successful in removing the lesser celandine from this patch last spring!

The photos above were taken on a dry, but cloudy day. Fortunately the sun came out and I was able to get some images of these pretty flowers before they succumbed to the wind and the rain.

4. My earliest flowers this year were the dwarf irises.  Iris  histriodes  – ‘George’ was the first to arrive in early January in a couple of containers where it was planted two years ago which shows that some bulbs in containers do reappear  – followed by Iris  reticulata  ‘Dijt’ and then ‘Alida’, a pretty light blue. Some of these may have been removed and replanted. I really ought to take better notes!

5. Iris  reticulata ‘Katherine Hodgkin’, (a much paler blue with the falls heavily veined with deeper blue and marked yellow at the base) was grown for the first time as I admired her on other blog posts last spring. I also grew several different varieties in the raised bed last year, but very few have returned so maybe these do better in containers.

6. Although the unexpected snowfall we had in February along with freezing temperatures for a week (practically unheard of this far south-west) has caused damage to some of my perennials I am happy to say it did not affect my pretty little NarcissusFebruary Gold’ which are once again flowering in the Woodland Border. And lots of the Tête-à-tête are popping up in an assortment of containers. I was late planting my spring bulbs last autumn, for some reason I could not work up the enthusiasm to get on with the job.

I think I will only be joining in with this meme on a monthly basis this year unless I make any radical changes. It is almost five years since I moved here and for the first year I simply watched the garden grow to ascertain what was there. Now I feel that unless I make some radical changes it is all a bit samey. ‘They’ say it takes around five years for a garden to mature so maybe I have come to the point where now I want or need a change, but despite pouring over gardening books over the winter months, I haven’t got a definite plan in mind.

1. You always have the most cheerful garden! Love all the color! I wouldn’t want to change a thing either!

2. Ann Mackay says:

Wonderful to see the colour coming back in your garden. The irises are really beautiful – Katherine Hodgkin is so delicate and pretty that I want to grow some next year. 🙂

I’m not sure about KH, maybe too pale for me. Maybe with some tete a tete or another colour.

Can’t keep a good daffodil down, though they were never a favourite for me. I much prefer hellebores. Go for more snowdrops, Jude. Time you adapted to that windy garden of yours. 🙂 🙂

No? Daffs are so cheerful though. The dwarf ones are pretty. And when you see them along the verges you just know spring is on its way.

A bit common? Heavens, who knew I was a snob? 🙂 🙂 I really do prefer the delicacy of snowdrops, crocus and irises. I’ve been a bit cheated this year and seen very few roadside wild iris. Possibly because we’ve had more rain than normal, but also we’ve not been able to drive far. 😦

4. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Beautiful spring flowers

5. the Iris are stunning!

Yes, I think so. I will buy more in the autumn but plant them in pots. They are not expensive and well worth it.

6. The irises are beautiful. Great news that the bad weather didn’t affect your daffodils too.

The dwarf daffs seem to be invincible!

7. Cathy says:

You must be pleased to have some colour to brighten the garden after your wet winrer. I find thse little irises abilty to come back variable – KH does so on a regular basis but quickly looks tatty, but I planted out all my unsold pots last year and leaves had come up but no blooms – I think I prefer them in pots anyway and, like you say, they are cheap to buy so new bulbs each each other will give a better result

8. Leya says:

Colour and wonder, Jude! Love your garden.

Thanks Ann-Christine. I can’t wait to see yours as the year progresses, especially the contents of that lovely glasshouse.

1. Leya says:

Well, I’ll do my very best! Longing for things to get started for real!

9. BeckyB says:

you’ve got so much wonderful colour – put my garden to shame

Most of these bulbs are from last year, I left some in containers and others I did finally remove and replant. That’s such a faff though. I will buy new irises this year and new crocuses too for containers.

1. BeckyB says:

You need a partner in crome – MrB plants the new and I remove the old to other parts of the garden. I cannot through them away so move the bulbs all over the place – most don’t make it into the second year but many do and some are still going years later!!

I don’t have many planting beds, so nowhere to plant them, though I will try and find some room in the Cornish hedge for some crocuses.

10. janesmudgeegarden says:

It’s so nice to see you back, Jude, and with a fabulous cornucopia of colour! I’m going to plant more iris reticulata this year as now I’ve found out a bit more about them. I was disappointed with mine last spring and now I realise that they’ve probably been too wet during summer, so I’ll try to dig them up and move them.

I honestly think the iris reticulata do better in containers. Just cram 25 bulbs into a shallow pan, they look fabulous.

1. janesmudgeegarden says:

Thank you, Jude. I’ll keep that in mind. Do you lift them when they’ve finished or just leave them in the pot to multiply?