Looking for Camellias

We picked a sunny day on Saturday for another garden walk, this time driving to the Trebah Gardens which lies on the Helford River. I was hoping to find some of the autumn/winter flowering camellias, but apart from one white one which was flowering too high for me to get a decent photo, the camellias were sadly missing, though plenty of the spring flowering ones were in bud.

However, all was not lost.  The first thing to catch my eye was the pretty Grevillea followed by the succulents, still looking good, above the lawn path. Although bathed in sunshine, the rocky ledge where people sit to enjoy the view was, on this day, devoid of people. And wet from the overnight rain. So we didn’t linger, but headed up above the valley to find one of the paths down to the beach.

I had the prime lens on my camera for close-ups, but had to use the phone for wider views.

And views aplenty there were. With the deciduous trees bare of leaves it was easier to get a few shots of the valley floor and over to the Helford River and out to sea.

After a short time on the beach watching the boats and another friendly robin it was time to head back to the entrance.

It was surprising to see so many hydrangeas still attempting to flower. These shrubs are cut down in early spring so they are at their peak in the summer. I hope they can get some more gardeners back on site because it is a mammoth effort.

I can never resist the Bamboozle. Maybe its the word ‘booze’ that attracts me! And Trebah has a fine collection of bamboos.

Due to the current Covid rules and restrictions you have to prebook your visit, even if you only want to visit the café or shop. And the route around the garden is one-way only. Because of this we missed out on visiting Alice’s Seat where the scent of Sarcococca confusa (Sweet or Christmas Box)  invades the air around it at this time of year. Another visit is due in early February to look for snowdrops.

Jo’s Monday Walk

What a fabulous place, Jude! I could be very happy there. When traveling days start up again you’ll have to take me! Thanks so much. Your photos are fabulous, especially that one of the bridge. 🙂 🙂 And the Bamboozle is great.

A pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. A shame the ice cream stall on the beach was closed.

Fatty! 🤣🤣💕💕

OH. I’m actually not a huge ice-cream fan.

Nor me, but I know people who could live on it 🙂 🙂 And I know you’re not fat- just nicely proportioned 🙂

Heehee… I’m just not the right height 😂

2. margaret21 says:

This is glorious! Thanks for starting my day off well.

We were lucky again that the weather forecast was correct. Having to prebook means taking a risk, and we also had to prepay for this one. Thank goodness it wasn’t Sunday!

1. margaret21 says:

Yes. Sunday would be madness. Although probably not. It wouldn’t be allowed to get too crowded

Sunday here was miserable weather, rain and fog all day.

Great photos of a lovely spot, Jude. I am rather fond of succulents.

They obviously have good drainage on this steep bank, in full sun. My own garden is somewhat wet. 😕

4. A winter woodland garden has a certain charm that I enjoy. It’s quieter, for one thing; even the little birds twitter less. Sounds of far-away traffic barely intrudes, making me feel safe and secluded.

This is so far away from any traffic it is always peaceful. In winter a garden is very calming without the vibrant colours of summer, more textural interest and shapes and forms.

What a lovely day you had, Jude! And what a delightful image of that Robin…

The robins are very friendly here.

6. rusty duck says:

One of my very favourite gardens, looks so good in winter too. Love the grevillea.

There are a few Grevillea plants in the George V garden in Hayle and I have often thought about trying to grow one myself, but I think they need more shelter than I can provide. I guess sometimes you just have to love something from afar. Sigh…

7. It’s very pretty with the autumn colours interspersed with all the green.

Green it THE colour in Cornwall and this garden has a lot of trees. I was hoping to see some camellias (hence the title) but no such luck. We’ll go again in the new year and see if I can find some snowdrops. February is a good month to visit this garden.

8. BeckyB says:

what a perfect day you chose to book your visit – shame the winter flowing camellias were not out. Any reason?

Maybe I just missed them, it said on the website that a couple were in flower in December, but perhaps not this one!

1. BeckyB says:

Probably all on the paths you weren’t allowed on!

9. Dina says:

Love the photo story and especially image of the bridge over the water.

The iconic bridge. Lovely in summer when the hydrangeas are in full flower.

10. Cathy says:

What a glorious day out, Jude

So good just to get away from home!

1. Cathy says:

We live on a hill and the railway runs through the river valley below – I look at the trains and realise how much I am looking forward to a railway journey again…

We had planned to use the train this year and the branch lines to visit those places which get so busy parking is difficult. We can buy a local pass for Cornwall and Devon which gives us discounts. Glad we hadn’t already bought one!

2. Cathy says:

That’s a good local benefit. We have Senior railcards, but on the third year of of our current three year one has hardly been used (in fact, now expired, I realise)!

The OH had one which was very useful when he was travelling monthly up to Shropshire when his mother was alive. Saved a fortune. Rail fares are sooo expensive.

4. Cathy says:

Yes, you can easily save cost the card on one jouney if it is a long one. We have invariably got good advance fares for some of our longer journeys – like up to Oban to visit my Mum for about £60. I am sure there will have been no bargain prices this year for those who did choose (or have) to travel, and I have heard people being faced with astronomical prices for Christmas travel although many of those jurneys will have to be aborted now