The Ross Bridge, Penzance – Sepia Pencil
The original swing bridge was built in 1881 from an old railway turntable to give access to the Abbey Basin and dry dock. This bridge was replaced in 1980, constructed by local Cornish company Visick’s Foundry. The bridge, which opens to allow boats into the dry dock approximately 20 times per year, is not only subjected to the harsh sea environment it’s located in, but also the wear and tear of the traffic it carries into the Penzance seafront and harbour areas. Named after Charles Ross who was a major partner in the Penzance Bank otherwise known as Batten, Carne and Carne. His family home and estate in Penzance are now the Morrab Library and Morrab Gardens.