In the Neighbourhood | Hayle Harbour

Ann-Christine invites us to explore our local neighbourhood this week, which is apt seeing as we in England are requested not to stray too far from home. I think I have ‘done’ my local area to death this year as we really haven’t been very far at all. So on a trip to the local supermarket this week (4 miles) I took time to have a quick stroll around the  harbour in Hayle and get a few snaps on my phone before the rain began. Again.

The tide was in so the estuary was full of water. I was intrigued by these odd contraptions floating in the centre. Floating rafts with Lobster pots? I am guessing that they are towed out into the sea. I love lobster, but I think most of it heads to London and the expensive restaurants. I rarely see it on the menus here in Cornwall and probably wouldn’t pay the price wanted for it anyway.

To the right of me are the old warehouses on the east quay, the silvering wood matching the more modern fencing around the harbour and the bleached grass echoing the sand dunes (towans) in the background. A picture of fading colour rather matched the mood of the day as clouds descended.

One interesting new discovery as I walked along the harbour walls of the south quay was this splendid rusty anchor. I can never resist getting in close to a rusty object.

It’s strange to think that there was a big ship building industry in this area during the 19th century. A shipyard, slip and dry dock were established here on the south quay in 1819 and by 1835 ships of 100 tons were being constructed. The first iron and wood ship, the Prussian Eagle, was built as a tug on the River Rhine. And by 1880 many more ships were built by Harvey & Co, including the Cornubia in 1858, originally used for the steam packet service but later sold to the American Confederate States where she was used as a blockade-runner during the American Civil War.

It must have looked very different here 200 years ago. And how fascinating to discover a connection with the American Civil War and this small, sleepy Cornish town, more famous now for the Towans and three miles of golden sands.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge # 123 | Found in the Neighbourhood

1. margaret21 says:

I love the faded colours matching the end-of-year weather. And that anchor!

The anchor was a surprise. I went down there as there is a kingfisher somewhere in that area, or was. I’ve yet to see it.

1. margaret21 says:

That’s because they don’t exist. My daughter-in-law and I know they are a complete myth, because we are both keen on bird life, live in places where myth suggests they exist, and we’ve never seen one. So there!

I did once see a flash of blue in Ludlow! And one in South Africa, it used to sit on the top of a yacht mast (not ours, but we stored it for a friend) and eat crustaceans, dropping the bits onto our lawn! Not the same as our kingfisher.

2. My favourite is the old warehouses – the colours, but also the composition of diagonals. Interesting being forced to stay in one’s ‘hood. It certainly sharpens perceptions. I’ve watched my beach now almost daily for eight months, something I’ve never done in the 20+ years I’ve lived here, and noticed so many things unnoticed before.

I think those old warehouses may be gone in phase 2 of the Quay development. Or maybe reinvented. It would be a shame to lose them. How are you doing being confined to home? Though I guess you are free to travel around your state?

1. It would indeed be a shame. A heritage-listed trestle bridge near my son’s block has just been dismantled in the name of public safety. A concrete bridge is never a thing of beauty. I wonder what warehouse reinvention would look like.

You know what? I’m loving NOT travelling around (apart from Warsaw deprivation). I’m edgy at the thought of an excursion out: it upsets my glorious routine of walk – study – snooze – U3A or National Portrait Gallery zoom – play with photos – (worry about fires) – phone calls. The only time I’ve been tempted was when I saw a photo of a rockface near Eden and another one of a man walking through wetlands. Otherwise beach and beach have offered plenitude.

What about you and confinement? Is your garden, and your immediate surrounds, enough? And do you gad about much in w***** (dreaded six-letter word) anyway? Stay safe, well and contented.

Ooh, yes- nice bit of rust 🙂 🙂 I like that opener as well! Did you download directly to the laptop from your phone, and did you have to edit them much? Wishing you a dry bright weekend!

I save my phone photos to One Drive and Google Photos, then transfer / download into a folder on my laptop. I have a folder for each year and in that one for each month, with various folders named for where I’ve been. Mostly Home this year! These haven’t been edited much, it was very flat light and in fact was raining as I took the lobster thingummyjigs.

A dry, bright weekend would be good. Those bulbs still haven’t been planted 😩

4. bushboy says:

Love the old warehouses and the rusty anchor of course 😀

It does retain that feel of the industrial past, and that comes over in your photos. I also refuse to pay the inflated prices for lobster, and haven’t eaten any since the last time I was in Normandy. (Over 20 years ago)

It’s all changing around the quay now though, a large development of houses, townhouses, apartments and retail. It’s certainly going to change the look of the place, and I suspect many will be second home owners. I have looked as it would be a good location for us, but a 3 bed townhouse is well over £500k. If I am paying that I want more space!

A townhouse is not much good when you are older, as it has too many stairs, and the bedrooms are usually right at the top! 🙂 Shame to get more second-home owners down there though.

Well at the prices they are asking (£239K for a one bed flat) I can’t see many locals affording them. All the townhouses are already sold off plan!

6. Tina Schell says:

Thanks for the lovely stroll around the neighborhood Jude – like most of us the local neighborhoods are getting much more attention the longer we’re confined to them. Loved the historic feel of your images and especially your note about the involvement with the American Civil War – who knew?! Hope the rain has passed on and the sun is shining for you today!

Thanks Tina. Yes that was a fascinating bit of history! And the sun is trying to peep out from behind the clouds right at this moment. ⛅

Like Meg, I love those old warehouses!

I thought they would appeal to you. Not sure if they will survive the next phase of the development though.

Oh dear…take plenty more images for me, then!

I’ll try and get closer next week if it’s not raining.

That would be great, Jude

8. Pit says:

I really like those details. 🙂

9. Leya says:

Now this was worth waiting for, Jude. I must say I love them all – excellent images of course. The buoy immediately caught my eye – standing out against the grey. The warehouses and the sand, the silvery wood, the bleached grass – and the lines. Harmony. The anchor is a piece of its own – what a beauty! Excellent detail. Hope Sue is having a look…

The surprise was the link with the American Civil War! Who’d have thought that? Glad you enjoyed the photos.

1. Leya says:

Yes, surprise indeed! But Britain always was a sea/ship building nation. The connection is interesting, but so loved your images!

Well thank you for giving me the nudge to go out and look for something different locally.

2. Leya says:

😊Thank You for really going for it – and succeeding! Surprises are (almost) always welcome…

10. JohnRH says:

Anchors Aweigh! Beautiful rust!!

Thanks John 😊