Autumn Colour

A Stag’s Horn Sumach / Rhus typhina is a large suckering deciduous shrub to 6m, the red-hairy stems with large pinnate leaves turning red and orange in autumn. Other common names include: green-flowered sumach, staghorn sumac, velvet sumac, vinegar tree, Virginian sumach.

Time to join in once again with Dawn’s annual “Festival of Leaves” autumn challenge where we look at the beauty of this season.

Love the colours here, Jude!

I think this is the same kind of tree that you photographed a couple of weeks ago.

Someone around here has one of those at the front of the house. Now I know what it is called. (Though I will no doubt forget)

They were very popular as front garden trees at some point, perhaps because they don’t grow too tall. Nice autumn colours.

I don’t know why but this one makes me think of Christmas. Nice cheerful colours πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Must be the red / green combination. Any plans for Crimbo? πŸ™„

You’ll laugh- I’m spending it in the UK πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Probably!

You’re brave! Won’t you have to quarantine for 2 weeks though? Or are you hoping that won’t be necessary by then?

Well, who knows, Jude? And I really can’t see the point in it if I’m coming to a country rife with the illness. Several of my friends here have relatives in the UK who have, or have had, Covid , and in most cases it has been mild. I’m not a fortune teller and I don’t even know if my flight will go, but if it does I’ll be on it. Otherwise I won’t see them till next May or whenever the powers that be deem us ‘safe’.

One of the problems is that people are not self isolating, so the virus spreads. The sooner we can stop this the quicker we can get back to normal. Let’s hope things improve by the end of the year.

I’m afraid I don’t agree. It’s not a case of stopping it. I think that many of us will contract this and develop immunity and that we should stop acting like the world is coming to an end. It may well be but not because of Covid. There are many wider issues and a crippled economy is only one of them. I have observed all the restrictions imposed and will continue to do so, but I’m not sure that it’s the best policy. Let’s wait and see.

But we may not develop immunity and that will put pressure on the health service which is straining anyway. If we get numbers of infections down so that testing and tracking works like in NZ, Australia, Singapore etc. that would help. In Cornwall we only have 15 ICU beds so there’s not much capacity for additional severe illnesses. I hear what you are saying, but I don’t think we should underestimate this virus.

Fair enough. I don’t disagree, but I’m certain that there are people dying because resources have been channeled into fighting this virus, And the price to be paid by people whose livelihood has been taken away cannot begin to be estimated. Changing the subject completely- I accidentally rang Meg just now, with belated birthday wishes πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

How was she?

She looked fine, sounded happy enough, even pleased with recent floods which will keep the fires at bay for a bit longer. This world is full of problems, of one sort or another, isn’t it? 😦 So nice to see her. I was intending a simple happy birthday message. πŸ™‚

I did remember to email her, but should have done yesterday! Not sure that I have her phone number. Did you WhatsApp her? πŸ™„

Sorry- Mick put the lights out! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Husbands! I use Messenger and was going to send her a photo but hit the wrong symbol. Not safe to be let out!

Aha!
          What have you got planned for tomorrow?

We know such lovely people! Croquet this morning and afterwards a couple we know turned up and 6 of us went to a local restaurant. It was Billy’s birthday 1st November so they had brought candles for both of us to put in our dessert. Just me and Mick tomorrow, in OlhΓ£o in the rain πŸ˜β˜”πŸŒˆπŸ’•

Ah, that’s lovely. It’s very difficult to be spontaneous here, most restaurants require you to have a reservation. You can’t just walk in anymore and after today they will be closed anyway except for takeaway. Enjoy your lunch in OlhΓ£o, rain or not.

Will do! Already had a wonderful un-birthday today. Even got to watch Rafa πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

4. pommepal says:

What gorgeous colouring.

Yes. One of our more colourful trees.

5. Isn’t it pretty with all the colours all at once.

6. How did I miss this? Ah well, here now.
    Those fern like leaves a gorgeous!

I think they will have gone by now after this week’s windy weather, but lovely while they last.