herbaceous borders

A herbaceous border is a collection of perennial herbaceous plants arranged closely together, usually to create a dramatic effect through colour, shape or large scale. The head gardener here obviously knows his stuff as these borders are jam-packed with plants and brilliantly choreographed.

Lanhydrock is one of my favourite gardens in the spring as their Magnolia trees are spectacular.  Back in August we drove over for a visit primarily to see their herbaceous borders. I have already featured the long border at the back of the garden and this leads through to the round garden where there are huge beds full of more flowers. In this secluded part of the garden is a pretty  building with an interesting arched gateway, a sundial and a bench. A bench that in all our visits has never been empty. Until today.

We swiftly made our move and relaxed on the bench for 15 minutes in the sunshine to take in the wonderful views of this part of the garden.

Time to explore further. Large scale planting goes on here. Huge swathes of blue agapanthus carefully combined with reds of Crocosmia and Heleniums or backdrops of yellow Rudbeckia and Ligularia.

The white agapanthus meanwhile has the softer hues of pink Astilbes and Dierama pulcherrimum (Angel’s Fishing Rod)

Exotic looking Canna lilies,  Ginger plants (Cautleya-gracilis) and Lobelia tupa mingle along with Phlox, Japanese anemones, lilies, hardy geraniums, giant Crocosmia and crimson Monarda.

Despite all the different colours everything seems to blend or contrast beautifully. Foliage is important not only for colour, but also shape and form. The dark, almost black, foliage of Dahlia ‘Knockout’ with its bright yellow flowers or the bright blue Gentiana asclepiadea with lime green foliage and Melianthus major with spectacular, grey-green leaves with deeply serrated edges.

if you love plants then you’ll love this place. At any time of the year there is something to look at and the commercial plant nursery provides many plants for other National Trust gardens all over southern England. If you are tempted by what you have seen then pop into the plant centre on your way back to the car park. You won’t leave empty-handed.

Jo’s Monday Walk

I could just do with a visit to a plant centre, Jude. 🙂 🙂 There’s a very nice one down the road from us, but it would struggle to compete with this place. I can feel your love for plants beaming out at me through the screen. Everything comes to those who wait? Lovely bench setting!
    Thank you very much! We have a spectacular sky here this morning. Clouds have been a rarity lately but these are full of early morning light, billowing out to sea. Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Thanks Jo. I have avoided our local garden centre and nurseries as I want to make some changes, but am waiting for next year now. I’m guilty of cramming too much in, so things need moving / dividing.

2. That’s what I love about English gardens – they are always full to overflowing with blooms and colour. So beautiful! We’ve been away this week and did several walks. I thought of you every time I came across a bench with a nice view. 🙂

Ah, yes, the bench challenge. One of my most popular and I am still photographing them 😁

3. margaret21 says:

What a great day out – and all before breakfast!

4. Sandra says:

We were there just yesterday admiring the self-same beds. I always love that secluded spot and the views of the glorious planting. Lanhydrock was blissfully uncrowded but sadly the bench by the sundial was occupied just as we approached! We also walked in the bluebell woods. No bluebells obviously, but it’s beautiful in there right now. So nice to get out!

And yesterday was a glorious day.

1. Sandra says:

Not so glorious here unfortunately. But good enough nonetheless.

5. janesmudgeegarden says:

Lovely borders! I’m trying to do a similar thing, but goodness, it takes a long time to completely fill a border to one’s satisfaction. Your photos provide inspiration.

Oh, if only I could have anything half as good as these! I imagine a lot gets removed at the end of the season and younger plants added in spring. Easy to do when you have a nursery!

6. Forestwood says:

Wonderful colour – visually stunning. I have planted out lavender, cupheas, agapanthus and most recently parsley as a border. I might have to buy a few more before it explodes in colour like your photos.

7. Tish Farrell says:

In these days when we can have pretty much most things delivered to our door, I’m thinking you’ve done a fabulous delivery, Jude. Such a beautiful garden. I’m also noting those 3 tantalising bench views 🙂

If only my garden looked like this!

1. Tish Farrell says:

Indeed, mine too. It’s gone v. bedraggled lately, and so much vegetation in need of removal.

8. Pit says:

When I see all that lush green, I sometimes think my wife and I should have moved to Cornwall. To tell the truth: when looking for places to move to, we did look at a house not exactly in Cornwall but in Devon.

Devon is also very green. We considered moving there too. We love the North Coast which is a lot wilder.

9. Fabulous photos and they show off the gardens to perfection! What a delightful place to visit, and I can understand why that bench is more often than not occupied! The view looks so amazing that it must be hard to leave the bench and move on!

It is a very popular bench! We practically ran to go and sit on it!

10. Cathy says:

You had a lovely day for your visit Jude – I love big herbacaous borders, where things can be done on a scale not possible in our own gardens although we can still get ideas from them. I am not surprised you ran for that bench! What a lovely visit…

It’s a lovely garden. Most. Cornish ones are best in spring, but a few have interest at other times.