a tapestry of colours

Usually the summer months find us close to home, but because this year we have been close to home since March, we have taken the opportunity to visit one or two gardens as they have opened. Having to book a slot means the numbers are down and anyway most folk coming to Cornwall in the school holidays head for the beach.

Lanhydrock is one of my favourite gardens in the spring as their Magnolia trees are spectacular. You might say exuberant, but we’ll save that word for some of the wonderful crowded and tangled herbaceous borders that we found in August.

A rich tapestry of plants are growing along the long border at the back of the garden near the pretty thatched cottage, making every step a joy in the comfortable warmth of a late summer’s day.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge # 112 | Pick a Word

1. Just gorgeous! We must start going back to gardens and other walks now the schools are back. It seems that booking is quite straightforward though spontaneous trips are no longer possible. More of the new normal!

It’s easy to book, but twice we’ve not gone as the weather turned out to be bad on the day. I am desperate for a beach walk!

1. We’ll try that next week for Trelissick. I’ve missed going there! 🙂

They had a one way system when we went so you can’t wander. We miss the spontaneity of going out when it’s a nice day.

2. We do too. Tremenheere was better, no need to book and after the start, wandering where you like. People were all very good about distancing on the narrow paths. 🙂

2. Dina says:

Exuberant! Yes, exuberant is the right word for the wonderful herbaceous borders, Jude. Do they look impressive! You picked a lovely day for visiting the beautiful Lanhydrock. Since a few weeks, we are watching all the episodes of Outlander and the sound of Lanhydrock sounds Scottish to me.
    Hope you are both well, have a good weekend. Xx

3. margaret21 says:

Great photos … and a clever take on the challenge.

4. Sandra says:

I love Lanhydrock. Well overdue for a visit too; those borders look even more spectacular than usual!

They are spectacular, as is the round garden which I will post about soon.

5. Leya says:

Jude – exuberant entry indeed! Weaving the words into this vibrant world or yours makes me long for more garden visits than I can find in Sweden. Why am I not in Cornwall? I went back to your spring post too – Lanhydrock is marked for whenever/ifever I come to Cornwall.

Cornish gardens are at their very best in spring. I sorely missed them this year.

1. Leya says:

I can imagine that…But next year!

Thanks Irene. It’s a lovely place.

Good to hear that you were able to visit your less crowded beloved gardens, Jude. The photos are lovely of course.

Not as often as we like this year, but nice to get away from home for a few hours.

7. What fantastic gardens, Jude. I’m glad you’re able to book a spot and thus not have to deal with crowds. The last of summer is upon us!

Indeed Cathy. I’m hoping for a long mild and warm autumn!

1. I’m hoping for a cool dry autumn myself. I always dislike the heat! 🙂

8. JohnRH says:

Wow. Colorful! Great banner shot. Well done.