Six on Saturday | New Shady Border

September 2019 – fresh compost on top of cardboard

Last autumn I got rid of a bit of unnecessary lawn that was mainly used as a path through from the lawn to the raised bed area (herb bed and what was going to be a veggie bed) and extended a semi-shady area of the garden under my two main trees – the twisted hazel (left) and the Kilmarnock willow (right). Last week before the winds arrived, I pruned a lot of the lower branches from the hazel to a) let in more light b) be able to walk past without bruising myself and c) expose the lovely twisted trunk of the tree. I also need to lop off some of the willow’s branches too, but my garden waste bin is full and I already have a pile of bamboo to get rid of.

Late August 2020

Originally in this bed is a lovely Epimedium and some wild oregano. I also planted Golden Marjoram, cyclamen and crocuses. The area is covered in a bark mulch.

1. New to the planting is Hydrangea paniculata ‘Vanille Fraise’ . Bought for a container in the courtyard I soon realised that the flowers were too heavy to withstand the wind that swirls around that area so I cut it right back and planted it in this bed last autumn. It was very slow to grow in the spring and I though I might have lost it, but eventually some new buds appeared and form rather long stems, but only very recently any flowers! Currently they are a shade of greenish white, but I hope they will flower for another month or so and eventually turn the pink they are supposed to.
  2. A low growing Nepeta × faassenii Junior Walker was also planted here and is doing very nicely, although it does flop over the lawn somewhat.
  3. Cerinthe major ‘Purpurascens‘ seeds were sown directly into three different spots and two lots came through, they are very susceptible to the wind though and I usually find them lying flat on the ground. Such a shame as the glas coloured leaves and the purple flowers are very pretty. It should self-seed so here’s hoping. I will collect a few seeds from it though just in case.
  4. St John’s Wort has self-seeded here. I’ll leave it for now as it adds some extra colour at this time of the year with the berries.
  5. Geranium x oxonianum ‘Thurstonianum grows nicely here in the shade too. Featured earlier in the year it is still flowering. The leaves need a bit of a tidy up now though
  6. The Origanum and the Golden Marjoram seem to be very happy in dappled shade and the bees love the flowers at this time of the year. I planted this simply to prevent weeds from growing here and I will probably remove it after it has finished flowering as I have planted several Heucheras and Heucherellas in this bed and they need room to spread.
    I am quite pleased with how this bed has filled out. Now that the tree shape can be seen it does look much better than before and the rest of the shade loving plants appear to be very happy. There are a couple of stepping stones in the bed so I can still access the other part of the garden, but they are rather over-grown at the moment! I hope that all the crocuses I planted last year will return and perform well in the spring, last year it was too wet and windy in February for them to look their best.

1. Aah, the lovely Cerinthe major. Mine is more purple than yours and has selfseeded profusely but all at the front of the border. Your flowerbeds look lovely now…….well, they did before but I can see why you cut backthe branches. Where are the hens now?

2. Linda Casper says:

What a transformation!

I’m surprised how quickly it has filled up.

It sounds like a lot of knowledge and planning is needed to create a garden as good as yours. I would never think to take things out again once they had been planted. 🙂

I’m not always good at planting things in the right place! And some get overcrowded. Gardening seems to be half growing and half cutting back!

4. fredgardener says:

You will see, you won’t be disappointed by the hydrangea ‘Vanille fraise’… At this time of the year, the flowers of mine are turning colour and pink has already appeared. I even have some that are already faded. Ah, … the pretty Cerinthe major .. a plant I don’t have (yet)😉

5. The new shady border is looking good. I also like the glimpse of the fields in the distance. Lovely.

Ah, yes, my borrowed landscape 😁

Always plenty to do at your place, Jude! I love those little amethyst jewels. A good gardening weekend, this one? 🙂 🙂

Blowy and showery, just done some dead heading and cutting back but lots more to do. Maybe tomorrow, 😊

Just been chatting briefly to Debbie who is blowing around Shoreditch being drizzled on. Declared war on our ants today. They seem to think they own the place! 😕💕

7. Pit says:

You did a great job!

Great transformation, Jude!

9. Catherine says:

What a transformation from empty to so lush and full. The shady border is looking great.

My Cerinthe was blown flat, and I pulled a load of it out today. It was past its best, but like you, I hope it self-seeds. What a lovely rich colour the geranium is, and the flowers are a very unusual shape. Very nice.

I love, love, love the twisted hazel tree – it’s such a great shape and so full of character.

1. Suzanne says:

Cerinthe seems to always self-seed when I grew it years ago. I agree the twisted hazel tree adds structure and character. I am living my love of gardening vicariously through you all. Though still have plants growing in pots so haven’t totally given up getting my hands dirty!

10. A lovely transformation Jude and I love your hens.

The hens are sadly showing their age now, a bit like me!