another hill, another view

From ‘my’ hill I have a view northwards of Godolphin hill and Tregonning hill. With Cornwall rapidly filling up with visitors from other parts of the country and possibly abroad we are avoiding places which are too busy, such as the beaches and the tourist hot-spots such as St Ives and Godrevy. But staying close to home is becoming a little bit boring so we are venturing out to gardens where the numbers are being restricted and where it is a little less popular. Godolphin estate took our fancy last week and in addition to a walk around the garden we headed up the neighbouring hill on the south-westerly reaches of the estate.

The estate was once rich with tin mining and now a part of the Cornish Mining World Heritage Site. The Godolphin estate made its early proprietor, Sidney Godolphin, first Earl of the same name, incredibly rich. Although mining continued up to the 20th century on the estate, it flourished most around the late 18th century, much earlier than other sites.

Following a circuitous pathway up the hill you can’t help but stop and take notice of the views behind you and the wonderful colours of the patchwork fields. Reaching the Leeds’ shaft (first photo) you turn sharply right towards the summit. In the spring you will find wild wood anemones here, in summer much of the ground is covered in bracken with pockets of heather and gorse.

When you reach the top you will find breathtaking panoramic views. The top is an old beacon site and from here you can see many other hills in the area. There is a prehistoric enclosure from the neolithic period, 4,000-3,000BC, similar to those at Carn Galver, Carn Brea, Trencrom and St Michael’s Mount.

Leaving the summit by the steeper, stonier northern path leads you back to the Slips. This old lane – its walls cloaked in ivy, ferns, herb robert, navelwort and red campion – runs directly from Godolphin House to Godolphin Hill. The name ‘slips’ crops up in many Cornish places, referring to narrow pieces of land, strip fields or ‘stitches’. In medieval times, this lane passed through a strip-field system and this might explain the name. Its width is typical of moorland droving lanes, used for moving sheep and cattle to and from summer hilltop grazing lands. In the 17th century, the lane was planted with sycamore trees.

It was a pleasant walk, just enough uphill to work out the heart without too much huffing and puffing. The sky was blue with white fluffy clouds and just enough of a breeze to keep you cool. And the air was bright and clear so the views were spectacular. Next time we really need to bring a picnic with us.

Jo’s Monday Walk

So are there many mine ruins around?

Oh gosh yes, loads of shafts fenced off around here. And one reason why it’s not a good idea to venture off the tracks!

Ah, OK! Many years ago I recall shafts unfenced, and you had to have your wits about you….or rather, my parents did!

It’s a shame to live in such a lovely place, and then be overrun by tourists when the weather is good. It’s the same here, and I avoid the coast until the schools go back.

3. It would definitely have been nice to have brought a picnic along. What fabulous views. Those patchwork fields with the ocean as a backdrop are magnificent. πŸ™‚

I’m reading this on my phone, Jude, so I’ll have to compare the colours on the laptop later, but what really grabs me is the clouds. They are gorgeous!
    We’re not long back from the beach, and Mick often says we should take a picnic. Sand sarnies and then you have to lug them on the ferry. Nah! πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ’• Thanks for sharing!

I’ll change the link to your post today when I get home. Currently at the hairdressers!

Oh my word! New Gravitar coming up? 🀣🀣🀣🀣

I don’t think so 😱

With an A πŸ˜‰πŸ’•

5. From all your posts about Cornwall, I’ve learned that there is a lot more to Cornwall than those charming villages hugging the coastlines. My impressions, all mental and not actual, were formed by Virginia Woolf (To the Lighthouse, e.g.) and Daphne du Maurier (novels featuring Menabilly). Those places in my mind are steeped in history and romance. The history remains, but where is the romance when tourists swarm like bees? I agree with you about that.

Sigh… the problem with living in a popular county. I think it has certainly got busier in recent years, though we had never visited in July /August before.

Still in love with the clouds but I definitely need to adjust the colour on my phone. Happy with the new ‘do’? πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Too bright? My phone colours are much more saturated than my camera. New do just a bit less grey and a bit shorter. 😊

Yes, it’s like someone wearing stage makeup- over the top πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Lilac rinse next time?

I’m still waiting to go blonde!

Give it time, Marilyn! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Are you using the new Editor?

Nope, still the original classic. As long as I can. I have tried the classic on my flower blog as practice, but I am not keen. Often the font is too big and you can’t always change it.

7. margaret21 says:

Great views. The compensations of having to avoid favourite haunts is focusing on different favourite haunts!

8. Beautiful as always. And yes, a picnic up there on a sunny day would be wonderful.

One day we’ll remember!

9. Absolutely gorgeous. Looks like my kind of hill (not too big).

10. Very good photos!
    I loved the landscape! πŸ˜€