Summer on the Hill

View northwards towards Godrevy and Trevose lighthouses.

Having to stay close to home during the last five months I have been grateful that I have a garden to tend and countryside in which to walk. I am lucky in that I live a mere five minutes walk from one of the most beautiful viewpoints in the whole of Cornwall. The ancient Iron-Age fort on Trencrom Hill offers 360 degree views of the surrounding landscape including the Celtic Sea to the West and North and the English Channel (Mounts Bay) to the south. On a clear day you can see as far as Trevose head which is not far from Padstow.

The hill is somewhere that I like to walk to, walk around and sometimes climb up. If there are people up on the top I remain at the bottom. I don’t mind, there is always something new to see. At this time of year the heather is blooming. Patches of purple dot the hillside with flashes of contrasting yellow gorse or golden bracken.

The tracks around the base of the hill are dry and dusty. Granite stones and rocks ready to trip the unwary. Easier than the sticky mud of the winter months though.

On the eastern side the tracks are still grassy and lined with hawkbit. The bracken is dense and on the narrower tracks vicious brambles reach out and grab your ankle. Rosebay Willowherb wafts in the breeze and the scent of wild honeysuckle and buddleia filters through the warm air.

Once the female flowers of the common Ash treesย  (Fraxinus excelsior) have been pollinated by wind, they develop into conspicuous winged fruits, or ‘keys’, in late summer and autumn.

Ground hugging Tormentil (Potentilla erecta) can be found growing on acid grassland, heathland and moorland, but even pops up alongside roads. It bears yellow, buttercup-like flowers, but with only four petals (buttercups have five) from May to September and provides nectar for solitary bees. Tiny brown butterflies flit amongst the bracken, teasing me, though barely stopping for a rest (and a photo opp); they could be Meadow Browns or Ringlets, but they don’t open their wings for me to get a proper look. Brambles bear pretty pink flowers some already forming the blackberries that will be a treat in a month or so. And we even discovered a couple of apple trees!

Amongst the bracken edges, if you look carefully, is rosy-purple Betony (Betonica officinalis) a plant of meadows, grassy heaths, hedge banks and open woodlands. It is a lovely and well-behaved perennial which minds its own business and doesnโ€™t make a nuisance of itself by spreading around uncontrollably.ย  Bright yellow birds-foot trefoil poke out from the brambles alongside tiny bright blue Germander speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys) which has upright spikes of bright blue flowers with four petals and a white middle lending itself to the names ‘bird’s-eye speedwell’, or ‘cat’s eyes’. And if you glance down at the larger granite slabs that you often have to clamber over you will see tiny mat-like English stonecrop with its fleshy leaves which at this time of the year are tinged with red.

Taller plants such as the yellow daisy flowers of Ragwort and the bright red spikes of Red Bistort (Persicaria amplexicaulis) are easier to see. And for the first time I noticed a huge patch of the invasive Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) growing in a field on the western edge of the hill. Although the pretty pink flowers look quite lovely it reaches well over head height, and is a major weed problem, especially on riverbanks and waste land, but can also invade gardens. It grows rapidly and spreads quickly, smothering other vegetation as it goes. I sincerely hope this doesn’t find its way into my garden!

A final quick look at St Michael’s Mount whilst we are at the top of the hill which is now open to visitors, but only when the tide is out and you can cross the causeway on foot. I won’t be visiting the garden this year as a one way system is in place and I like to choose my own route on those vertigo inducing steep terraces.

Heading home along the lane there is still more to see. Pale cattle lying down in the heat, bright orange Montbretia (Crocosmia) another non-native and invasive plant often found densely carpeting the roadsides in the south-west replacing the frothy cow parsley of early summer and several patches of thistle-like purple flower heads, (Centaurea nigra) Lesser Knapweed, that I also don’t recollect seeing much of in other years. Currently attracting bumblebees its seed also provides food for the birds.

Lens-Artists Photo Challenge #108 | Sanctuary

1. Lynn says:

How fortunate for you to have such easy access to beautiful walking paths & vistas. I think that is what we enjoyed most when we visited Cornwall last year. The views on those hikes are just breathtaking!๐Ÿ’•

Yes, I can’t complain about the views!

2. Murtagh's Meadow says:

Fabulous, and so many wildflowers. Wonderful to see.

2. Tina Schell says:

What an absolutely beautiful spot Jude – amazing that they’ve made the path one-way! You’ve done a fabulous job of taking us there through your images and comments about the sights along the way. A perfect sanctuary!

3. You live in beautiful surroundings.

When the sun shines you couldn’t ask for a better place to live.

4. So beautiful, Jude! If you have to stay close to home the surroundings certainly make up for any inconvenience. And, if that balsam is bold enough to try sprouting in your garden I’m thinking it will soon be put in its place, or more likely in the bin. ๐Ÿ™‚

That balsam is worryingly not so far from my garden!

5. March Picker says:

Such a gorgeous walk! I appreciate you sharing all the beauty and those amazing views with us. I can imagine you are immensely grateful for living so close to those sights. Ahhhhh!

It has been busier than usual this year especially in the early days of lockdown, but back to normal now. We are very lucky to have this beautiful place close by. A godsend in the busy summer months when the beaches and little villages are packed.

6. What a pretty and delightful sojourn. Thanks, Jude. It’s been a lovely escape from the cold and grey outside. My favourite was the heather on the hill. Really wish it was this Heather on that hill. ๐Ÿ˜€

Really hope things have improved for you over there! It’s been one helluva year so far. I can see you running up this hill! You’d be leaping over the stiles too ๐Ÿ˜‚

1. I love a stile. ๐Ÿ™‚ I think I might put on my ‘Retirement Bucket List’: ‘Visit Jude and make her take me up that hill so I can exhilaratingly run up it.’ Case numbers are improving but the Premier wants to declare a State of Emergency for the next 12 months so I guess we continue to take things as they come. Better to be active than reactive (or, even worse, negligent).

7. BeckyB says:

so envious of you having this on your doorstep. Stunning Jude

It is lovely, but like I was saying to Jo, you can’t have everything and I do miss the closeness we had to the market and local shops in Ludlow.

1. BeckyB says:

Can understand that, we’ve decided the closeness is an essential for us.

Yes. I don’t think we can stay here forever. Maybe another 5 years then we need to move closer to a village/town and maybe closer to family in case we need assistance as we grow older.

2. BeckyB says:

Our thoughts exactly

8. Anne Guy says:

Thanks for posting this I do miss seeing Trencrom as havenโ€™t been back since my father who lived there died. Lovely to see such familiar views!

I don’t suppose the views ever change.

9. Cathy says:

I so enjoyed taking this walk with you, Jude, and admiring all the wild flowers as well as the scenery

The wild flowers make it interesting, you never quite know what you might find.

10. Ann Mackay says:

Oh, you are making me rather jealous, Jude! Such wonderful coastal views and beautiful countryside to walk through. Love all the plant photos – fabulous to see so many wild flowers on your walk. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do like seeing what is in flower as it is forever changing. Soon the bracken will be brown and the verges have just been cut back so it’s looking a bit bleak now.