Six on Saturday | August Already

Whoa! This year is beginning to fly through. I rather liked it when everything was slowed down. August can be a funny month – akin to April in the number of daylight hours although classed as summer it can often be disappointingly cool and rainy. I hope not.

(1) This is a reminder to all you plant loving people out there not to be too hasty in throwing that dead looking plant onto the compost heap. This Tiarella consisted of brown and shrivelled up stems in the spring and I decided to dig it up and plant something else in its place. However when I saw that the roots weren’t entirely dead I decided to pot it up instead. From brown and shrivelled to this little beauty. Question now is whether to risk planting it back in the garden or find a nicer container for it.

(2) A new addition to this bed this year is Lythrum salicaria ‘Blush’  a moisture-loving herbaceous perennial that produces strong, tall spires of soft pale pink flowers in summer. It’s inclined to be a bit leggy, so cut back regularly to encourage a bushy habit.  It is very attractive to butterflies and bees hence why it has a place in the Bee & Butterfly bed!

(3) Physostegia virginia ‘Summer Snow’ – the Obedient plant – is an upright herbaceous perennial boasting dense spikes of white tubular flowers from mid-late summer to autumn. Blooming from the bottom to the top on each spike, the showy blossoms are attentively visited by  butterflies and I saw this in the Heligan gardens last year covered in bees so just had to buy some. My white ones are planted in the containers with last week’s Cosmos, but they aren’t very noticeable as the Cosmos are taller! I also have an intense pink one ‘Rosea’ in the herb bed, but that’s still to flower. Why obedient? The flowers move during the day with the sun.

(4) Phlox paniculata ‘Twinkle Purple’ – another new addition to the Bee and Butterfly bed last autumn. I had a gap where something had died so couldn’t resist.

(5) Olearia x haastii shrub – the profuse  white daisy-like flowers, hence the common name Daisy Bush, are gently fragranced and their dark green evergreen foliage is tinged with blue. Olearia x haastii (New Zealand and Australia) copes well with salt-laden air and exposed situations. It will get a light prune after flowering to try and keep it in shape.

(6) Justicia Carnea Jacobina – or the Brazillian Plume Flower / Flamingo Plant is an evergreen shrub with a rounded habit (like a hydrangea) and inflorescence of tubular vibrant  pink flowers in the summer. I kept mine indoors this year as last year it suffered from the direct sun and windy conditions. I also cut it back and used the cuttings to try and grow new plants. It seems to have worked as they are all flowering whereas the mother plant, although much bigger hasn’t had a single flower! Maybe I’ll cut it back again this autumn and try and get more new plants.

Has anyone else noticed anything peculiar in their garden? I already have the tall pink Japanese Anemones flowering which I am sure don’t usually do until August and into September – I can’t see these lasting until September. And my Cowslip has two new flower spikes!

1. margaret21 says:

Your garden always looks lovely: lots of hard work involved I think!

Seems like it! Lots to cut back now, but I have a sore back (from weeding) so I am taking it easy for a while.

1. margaret21 says:

So you should! No good at all to do your back in.

Sigh… my back is such an issue. I sometimes wonder how long I will be able to cope with a garden.

2. margaret21 says:

Oh dear. Time to find a willing slave then.

2. Jo Shafer says:

Same here, Jude. Along with a sore back, this week’s triple digit heat wave kept me confined inside.

Not so hot here, but very humid though today is fresher.

2. fredgardener says:

Here there are a lot of early plants and early flowering in the garden: as far as I’m concerned, there are between 15 days and 3 weeks in advance for some plants. Certainly due to the beautiful spring weather that we had.
    I had already seen this Brazillian Plume Flower: is it easy to grow ? ( except the precautions of direct sun and wind to avoid)?

I’m not sure I look after the Plume Flower properly! The cuttings took easily enough and are flowering and the mother plant now has flower spikes. It is in the conservatory which is unheated during winter but frost free.

1. fredgardener says:

Unheated greenhouse I have, frost free no. I will have to build a new conservatory or a slightly heated and frost-free greenhouse for the years to come …

It still feels like it’s dragging to me, especially with little hope of improvement in 2021. Just booked a five-day break on the Lincolnshire coast in Sepotember, and now hoping it isn’t cancelled because of any second wave. I need to get away from Beetley for a while, as I haven’t been anywhere since March.

I know the feeling Pete. I am a little stir crazy myself and getting a tad fed-up with the garden. I’m thinking of somewhere close by (north Devon maybe) for a short break in October for my birthday.

4. I finally looked at a map to see just where Cornwall is – the southwestern tip of England, right? No wonder you talk about windy conditions! There’s an obedient plant that’s commonly seen here, with pink flowers, that can be quite invasive. We call it ‘obedient’ because you can take your finger and move the flowers to face whatever direction you want. The Tiarella is really beautiful!

Ah, yes, the ‘weather’ blows in straight from the Atlantic! But often what we get first then moves up the country. I don’t think there is anywhere in the UK that doesn’t suffer from wind and rain although the eastern side is perhaps a little dryer.

5. Again an interesting selection, none of which I have grown myself. I hope my link works this week, I have a tablet, not a computer, which doesn’t have some of the processes you suggested but I think all is well. Thank you for your help.

I’ll track you down 😁

6. A few of my Japanese Anemones have started to develop buds but no flowers yet. The Lythrum salicaria ‘Blush’ is very pretty and I like the sound of the Daisy Bush. I’m glad you explained the name ‘Obedient Plant.’ When I looked it up for last week’s SoS I couldn’t figure it out!

7. March Picker says:

Congrats on the rebirth of your tiarella. It’s lovely. I also appreciate your white obedient plants. I started quite a few from seed in 2019, kept them in pots for a year and planted them out this spring. I believe they are the basic pale pinky lavender but am awaiting blooms.

I’m still waiting for the pink one to flower, there are buds so I am hopeful 🙂

8. I seem to have a cycle of heucherellas and heuchera that are going into the ground and coming out to recover. Even with no leaves on they often come back after a few months in plant hospital. Though I’ve divided a few and can probably afford to lose a few now or my borders are in danger of being purely ferns and heuchera.

Heucherella and Tiarella seem much more fragile than Heucheras. I have not had any problems with them.

9. Colline says:

You definitely have a green thumb Jude. Your plants look lovely.

A partial green thumb Colline, I cannot grow vegetables and am useless with seeds!

10. Murtagh's Meadow says:

I like your Lythrum a lot. Another plant to look out for:)

Don’t you think it looks like the purple loosestrife in your post?

1. Murtagh's Meadow says: